• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

M700--BRD Import Times

Bartok

I believe the KScape literature indicates that the M700 imports blu-ray discs substantially faster than the M500--with the vault's stated import speed of two blu-ray discs per hour (on average). Are users seeing this level of import speed on average?

In my case I found that most BR movies averaged about 45 minutes to an hour to import, but there may have been speed improvements since I last checked.

Jim

Jim: Thanks. My guess is that there are some BR movies that will import in 30 to 35 minutes, but most will import in 50 to 70 minutes--fairly comparable to the import times for the M500.

Looking back at the import times for the vault, I'm seeing most import in 90+ minutes to 120-150. All the Star Wars BDs were over 2 hours each.

Past experience indicates that import times do vary between systems. I remember comparing specific movie import times with other owner's that showed as much as a 25% difference. I suspect this is a function of our individual networks and perhaps components as well. It might even be a particular disc??

Jim

Assuming that one is using high quality gigabit switches and at least Cat 5e cables, then I think the import times for a given BRD disc should be fairly similar from one system to the next. The biggest factor is likely the differences from one BRD to the next. It strikes me that it will be difficult to achieve an "average" import time of 30 minutes per disc (i.e., 2 BRDs per hour as stated by KScape). Indeed, a 30-35 minute import is likely the exception rather the rule. On the other hand, just like with DVD imports, there are going to be some BRDs that take a fairly long time to import--2+ hours as Joe as found.

...The biggest factor is likely the differences from one BRD to the next...

I reckon!
Discovery Atlas: China revealed took 31 minutes
Quantum of Solace took 2 hours 25 minutes

...but not on an M700, my imports are done by the M300/MDV

OK quick data points:

M700
DVD Import: avg 28 min
CD: avg 5 min
BR: avg 1hr 10 min

M300+MDV
DVD Import: N/A
CD: N/A
BR: avg 1hr 35 min

M500 internal drive
DVD Import: avg 33 min
CD: avg 14 min
BR: Not enough data to be sure. Short movie imported in 56 minutes.

Back