• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

M500 Laser Cleaner?

jmdls

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Lately I have been finding that multiple discs are being recognized but won't actually play. The disc will go to play, but just hang on the black "reading disc" screen for a few minutes before eventually returning to the GUI. The discs look super clean and all play fine in other players, so I'm wondering if my M500 has somehow gotten a dirty lens....? Wondering if anyone has used a product they would recommend to try.

Thanks!
John Sciacca

John, I've used the Maxell BR-LC (#190054 I think).

Got good results.

Jim

Last edited:
John, I've used both the Maxell BR-LC (#190054 I think), and this one from Clean Dr:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innovations-CleanDr-Blu-Ray-4190300/dp/B00419ZT3E

Got good results from both.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I tried the Digital Innovations disc in my M500s and it would not play. On one machine it stated "disc is not a CD, DVD or Blu-ray" and wouldn't play it at all. The other machine would play it up to the point of language selection and then stopped playing due to some error. It plays fine in my Oppo.

I will try the Maxell version to see if that works. Do you have any other suggestions as to things I could try? One player seems to work well (the one that played the disc part way through), while the other player often reports "disc is not a CD, DVD or Blu-ray" and fails to import content.

Thanks,

Wayne

I apologize, not sure what is wrong, I used the DI in several older Players in the past without problems, never thought to check them in a Vault or M series component. I have used the Max in an M500, and "think" I also used it in a Vault, but could have been a different program. I'll check with Support for feedback.

Regarding the DI disc, that was my recommendation and it doesn't work for your application, please PM and I'll reimburse you for that disc. Sorry for the trouble, I'll remove it from my post.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

Your offer is very generous and appreciated, but unnecessary. It was worth a try and I am sure I will find a use for it elsewhere. If I don't, I am sure one of the kids will be happy to have it.

I will receive the Maxell unit in a few days and will give it a try. Fingers crossed!

Wayne

Spoke with K, apparently there is now limited cleaning ability when using the cleaning discs. There is some cleaning that occurs just by placing the disc in the optical drive (as it spins to ID the disc I assume). Support thinks this is enough to "knock off some of the dust on the head" which may fix any read issues.

So, unless they come up with a solution that allows the full disc cleaning program to be run, as normal DVD/BR players do, expect to be returning for repair if under warranty, or buying a new optical drive to replace the "dirty" one (assuming dirt is the issue).

Jim

Back