• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

M500 catalog issue

rbienstock

I just bought a new-to-me, used M500. It appears to work normally except for one thing: if I insert a Blu ray disk into the M500 and close the tray while viewing the movie list on my monitor, nothing happens. I never get the "disk-in-player" pop up. If I hit the import button, the disk imports. The M500 appears to work fine in all other respects except for the catalog feature. When I first got the player I connected it to my monitor and it played movies fine. It is not currently connected to a monitor. Here's my setup: I have a premiere 3U server, an M700 and an M500. The M700 is connected to input 2 of a Co-Star (I also have an Encore system). The M500 is only connected to the network. All of these are properly grouped together. Is there some setting on the M500 that I need to change? Does the M500 need to be connected directly to a monitor either by itself or to the Co-Star? Is there perhaps some setting on the Strato player that is preventing the popup?

I believe you lose the catalog function of the M500 when you have a disc vault present in your system. Try temporarily removing the M700 from your system and see the catalog options returns.

I have both a M700 and M500 and I can catalog discs with my M500. When you look at the M500 through the browser interface do you see the following “Importing and Cataloging of Discs: Allow”?

John

I have both a M700 and M500 and I can catalog discs with my M500. When you look at the M500 through the browser interface do you see the following “Importing and Cataloging of Discs: Allow”?

John

Yes. I have that option turned on. I have no problem importing, only getting to the Disk-in-player screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s strange then. There have been a couple of discs that ot took a while for the pop-up menu to come up for some reason but it came up eventually. Otherwise, I can’t think of anything else it could be.

John

One other thing, I have my M500 paired with my Strato/Terra system. This could be the difference since the cataloging was added once the Encore system was out.

John

One other thing, I have my M500 paired with my Strato/Terra system. This could be the difference since the cataloging was added once the Encore system was out.

John

This is the one thing that I can't test yet. I also have a Strato/Terra system and both systems are paired. But for now, I can't swap the M700 connected to the costar with the M500.

It might work to just “pair” the M500 through the network with a Strato without physically connecting with a co-star switch. Good luck!

John

It might work to just “pair” the M500 through the network with a Strato without physically connecting with a co-star switch. Good luck!

John

I tried that. It could actually be the answer IF I could connect the M500 to a monitor or the Costar. When I kept the M700 connected to the costar but paired the Strato with the M500, all the content from the Encore system vanished from the menu and only the Premiere system was visible (but no pop up).

This is precisely why i flip flopped my 500 and 700 on my costar.

The pop up and ability to see disc in paired player only works with the player connected to the costar. The 700 is standalone since it's just for importing movies and had a pretty decent screen for letting me know what's going on. The 500 is there for cataloging, playback of disc rentals, and importing difficult discs.

Kevin D.

Last edited:
umpiring difficult discs
What is that? What can an M500 do with a problem disk? I have an out-of-print disk (Spellbound Blu-ray) that is no longer recognized by my M700, so I can't play the previously imported movie. I tried re-importing from the M500 and it was recognized as "Spellbound bd" with the following status message: "Disc is not a Blu-ray disc, DVD or music CD." Is there something more I could do here?

I opened a case with Kscape and here's the answer: the "Disk-in-player" feature only works if either (1) the M500 is a stand-alone unit (in which case the feature will be displayed only on the monitor to which the M500 is connected and not any other components in the system), or (2) the M500 is connected to a coStar in which case the feature will be displayed only on the monitor to which the coStar is connected and not any other components in the system. I should be able to confirm this next week when my rack swap happens.

What is that? What can an M500 do with a problem disk? I have an out-of-print disk (Spellbound Blu-ray) that is no longer recognized by my M700, so I can't play the previously imported movie. I tried re-importing from the M500 and it was recognized as "Spellbound bd" with the following status message: "Disc is not a Blu-ray disc, DVD or music CD." Is there something more I could do here?
It goes without saying that I have examined the disk, and there's no visible issue with it such as scratches, fingerprints, etc. It has been cleaned multiple times.

Thanks for reading through my typo. If the vault can't read the disc, you're SOL. Due to the difference in Readers, I've had the 500 import movies that the 700 fails on, but they immediately go back into the 700 for verification.

Most of this is from used and abused discs I've picked up. Bluray rot is a real thing. I've purchased several old Blockbuster mail order rental discs that are flawless and are completely unrecognizable by anything.

Kevin D.

More drives gives a better chance that one of them works, and standalone players tend to be more forgiving than vaults (since their preference is to get to the next disc, even if there isn't one.) From my experience, once they hit "not a BD/DVD/CD" status, no K drive will read them (and usually nothing else will either,) which is a shame, for the dozen discs I have that went bad before the M-series came out.

While the disc-in-drive menu issue has been resolved, the other point to OP is that the drive open/close button won't automatically catalog/import a disc. Only using the catalog/import button to close the drive will. This is so you can play rentals.

So good news: I was able to connect the M500 to the coStar and pair it with the Strato. Now cataloging works great.

But I now have a new issue: when my M700 was paired with the Strato, I got the following behavior when I bought content from the K Store: 4K content downloaded to my Terra only and HD content downloaded to my Premiere server only if I specifically purchased HD content. Since I paired the M500 with the Strato, that has changed. Now, if I purchased 4K content, a 4K copy downloads to my Terra server and an HD copy simultaneously downloads an HD copy to my Premiere server. I don't want the duplicate HD copy. How can I fix this?

When you select "Purchase" you'll see the "Download to" section in the middle of the page. Just uncheck the box if you don't want the HD version downloaded to your Premiere system. Also, if you don't want your Strato system to download both a UHD copy and an HD copy (assuming they're both offered), you select "Change" to the right and uncheck the appropriate box.

Jim

I assume the M700 is part of the Premiere system? Since the M700 has its own player zone, the system is probably trying to ensure that that player has content available that it can play. Do you have it connected to a display? When an M500 is Co-Star paired with a Strato, that combined playback zone doesn't take the M500 into account when deciding which quality versions to download, since the Strato is what determines the capabilities of that combined zone.

Back