• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

M300 Regularly Needs Rebooting

bdo21

I am not sure whether it is the combination of the TV (Samsung Frame 2020) and my M300 but the TV increasingly shows no HDMI signal from the M300 until I reboot it (I pull the power cable out). It is particularly annoying because the M300 is hidden in a cabinet behind the TV so not straightforward to access. I am thinking about getting a smart power socket to either cut the power every evening to reboot it or on demand when the issue arises.

I have tried to reboot the TV (pulling the power out of it) and it still shows no HDMI signal until I reboot the M300.

Is there any issue with forcing a reboot on the M300 every night or two by cutting the power briefly?

Thank you,

Brian

In my opinion it's never a good thing to continually power components On/Off, this will likely shorten power related parts. Your problem sounds like it's an HDMI sync issue, possibly EDID related. This may be related to how the display looks at the incoming signal, not sure. In these cases I always start with an HDMI cable change, and if available try a different HDMI Input on the display (the easy things first). If those don't work send an email to K Support to see if they can determine the cause.

Jim

Hey Brian,

Have you tried connecting a different M-class player from another part of your system? If that is possible and you see the same issue, that will allow you to focus your efforts on the environment (e.g., HDMI cable like Jim suggested, Samsung TV port/firmware, Ethernet cable/port).

It is also worthwhile to check the browser interface when the issue presents itself to confirm the player is seen by your server. If the player is not part of your system when you check, it is likely dropping from the network for some reason which could potentially cause the issue you're seeing (in the right circumstances).

Good luck - Andy

Good points Andy. I was thinking network as well, but aimed at HDMI after he mentioned all works fine once it syncs (but I realize it could still be a network issue). (and YOU would know :) !)

Jim

Have you verified that the M300 hasn't been placed into standby? Does the M300 respond to whatever your control system is if you send a power on/power toggle command?

You've likely already checked that but it's always best to start with the simple things and spiral out from there.

Thanks everyone. I have tried changing the HDMI cable and the issue remained. I’ll check the other suggestions. Thank you!

I have done some more troubleshooting. When there is no TV signal, I can reboot the M300 from the Kaleidescape server page and then the video signal over the HDMI is fine. I am not sure how to raise this with Kaleidescape support given it is an intermittent issue and I only find out about it when one of the family wants to watch something! Any thoughts? Thank you

Kaleidescape support came back and it seems to be a hardware issue with the player. Rather than replace it now, does anyone know if either the free Control4 driver or the Chowmain driver can reboot a particular player?

Thank you

Not that I'm aware of, but C4 can certainly reboot a smart outlet.

Even if there is no native command, I would think either driver has the components to create a power-cycling macro.

Thanks. I assume a reboot command from the server web page is better than using a smart plug to kill the power to the device?

Back