• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Lyngdorf Audio Processor

bdo21

I saw the very helpful Lumagen thread Jim started and I thought I would ask a related question. I am considering a home cinema fitout and the firm I have spoken to is recommending a Lyngdorf MP40 (in addition to an amplifier) which costs similar to/more than the Lumagen. Do you all use an audio processor like a Lyngdorf or is this overkill?

Thank you

That's probably at another level above my gear, but I use a Marantz AV7704 preamp and have been happy with it. Would probably be inclined to snag the current release of the same model whenever I upgrade again.

There are others posting here that may be better informed than me, so hopefully they'll share their opinion as well, but my experiences as both a hobbyist and a dealer has taught me the following:

1. We dealer's usually represent specific brands, and products.

2. As should be expected, our recommendations are based on #1, subject to the client's budget.

3. Many dealer's can select the brands they represent, so #1 and #2 should not be interpreted as the dealer will sell and represent products they don't actually know much about just to make a dollar, BUT, there are many dealers, especially in Custom Install, that purchase through a Distributor, so for those dealers they only offer brands available to the Distributor.

4. #3 doesn't apply to all dealers, so caveat emptor should apply, especially when considering a large purchase.

5. When possible, you should demo the product in YOUR space, using your speakers, and equipment. If that's not possible, try to at least evaluate the product in a demo room, or other setup.

6. Never allow the cost of a product to determine its quality (although there is often a correlation). (Marantz is a good example, they have some quality processors that sell for less than half of most of the higher-end processors. There are others as well.)

7. Owners will almost always love whatever they just purchased, especially if they paid a lot for the product, and that will drive their public comments. That doesn't mean their comments have no value, or are wrong, only that they will likely be biased, and this is all the more reason buyers should evaluate the product themselves when possible.

8. Lastly, to some extent, we all have differences in hearing capabilities, which is why I rely on my own hearing.

All of that said, the MP40 is an excellent high quality product, as are several other high-end processors, including the Trinnov and Datasat brands. There are others as well. Also keep in mind that the audio quality is one reason to consider a product, usually the main reason, but features and function are a factors as well.

Answering your question more directly, I'll assume your dealer knows your setup (speakers, the room, and your personal preferences, etc.) and is making a recommendation based on that info and products they represent, like the MP40. I doubt any of us can tell you if it's "overkill" without knowing your current setup and what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to decide between a Lumagen purchase or an MP-40 purchase (unrelated in function, except for the switching capability), and want an opinion, you should comment on which is more important to you, audio or video, or are they of equal importance, and if video is more important, what type and size display do you have because that can influence a recommendation as well.

Disclosure: We sell all of the above, with exception to the MP-40 only because we placed a limit on the number of high-end processors we offer. I have now listened to the MP-40 in one demo and two private home theaters, so my comment regarding its quality is only based on those experiences.

Jim

There are others posting here that may be better informed than me, so hopefully they'll share their opinion as well, but my experiences as both a hobbyist and a dealer has taught me the following:

1. We dealer's usually represent specific brands, and products.

2. As should be expected, our recommendations are based on #1, subject to the client's budget.

3. Many dealer's can select the brands they represent, so #1 and #2 should not be interpreted as the dealer will sell and represent products they don't actually know much about just to make a dollar, BUT, there are many dealers, especially in Custom Install, that purchase through a Distributor, so for those dealers they only offer brands available to the Distributor.

4. #3 doesn't apply to all dealers, so caveat emptor should apply, especially when considering a large purchase.

5. When possible, you should demo the product in YOUR space, using your speakers, and equipment. If that's not possible, try to at least evaluate the product in a demo room, or other setup.

6. Never allow the cost of a product to determine its quality (although there is often a correlation). (Marantz is a good example, they have some quality processors that sell for less than half of most of the higher-end processors. There are others as well.)

7. Owners will almost always love whatever they just purchased, especially if they paid a lot for the product, and that will drive their public comments. That doesn't mean their comments have no value, or are wrong, only that they will likely be biased, and this is all the more reason buyers should evaluate the product themselves when possible.

8. Lastly, to some extent, we all have differences in hearing capabilities, which is why I rely on my own hearing.

All of that said, the MP40 is an excellent high quality product, as are several other high-end processors, including the Trinnov and Datasat brands. There are others as well. Also keep in mind that the audio quality is one reason to consider a product, usually the main reason, but features and function are a factors as well.

Answering your question more directly, I'll assume your dealer knows your setup (speakers, the room, and your personal preferences, etc.) and is making a recommendation based on that info and products they represent, like the MP40. I doubt any of us can tell you if it's "overkill" without knowing your current setup and what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to decide between a Lumagen purchase or an MP-40 purchase (unrelated in function, except for the switching capability), and want an opinion, you should comment on which is more important to you, audio or video, or are they of equal importance, and if video is more important, what type and size display do you have because that can influence a recommendation as well.

Disclosure: We sell all of the above, with exception to the MP-40 only because we placed a limit on the number of high-end processors we offer. I have now listened to the MP-40 in one demo and two private home theaters, so my comment regarding its quality is only based on those experiences.

Jim
Excellent reply Jim. This should be a sticky, not only on here but on all forums where dealer and customer comments are shared.

McIntosh MX160 and 170 are based on MP-40. I believe McIntosh only replaces the power section and runs on a slightly altered firmware (As in it says McIntosh instead of Lyngdorf in the OSD). There are more McIntosh users out there than Lyngdorf. You will find more feedback on MX160 and MX170 which should apply to MP-40.

On technical merits, Lyngdorf and McIntosh “clones” are the best sounding surround sound processors (SSP) in my opinion, even better than Trinnov and Datasat.

SSP makers have different approaches to ”good” sound. Trinnov, Storm Audio, Datasat and alike, focus on the software side as in they ”correct” the audio from room acoustics and dial in a reverse curve of the losses in their hardware before the audio is converted to analog. Lyngdorf, Marants, McIntosh, Theta and others can also ”correct“ the audio from room acoustics but they “try” to be transparent in their hardware side instead of tackling their added coloration in the software. Their software implementation of room correction may not be as advanced.

I am not saying Trinnov or Datasat is not worth the money. Although their hardware is significantly ”cheaper” designs compared to McIntosh or Theta, they are worth their MSRP because software engineering cost more and their sales volumes are lower. They have functions on their digital domain that no one else offers.

We can also argue that motion picture soundtracks are not mastered in the same fashion as audiophile oriented music soundtracks. What makes the bigger impact? Number of speakers? Dynamic range? (Which is usually compressed for home releases) Timbre matching all speakers?

I think all answers to these questions change depending on the content you watch. If you mainly watch recent movies with a lot of sound effects and you have a dozen or more speakers in your HT, I think then you would want to digitally process them for timbre matching and room acoustics.

If you want to use your SSP also as a pre-amp for your music sources, you watch movies with a lot of ambient music, you watch musicals, you watch movies from the “auteur theory”, then Lyngdorf is an excellent balance. It is very transparent as it has an excellent power section, great DACs and proper analog section but also offers Room Perfect digital sound processing.

I went from Marantz 8805 to Lyngdorf MP60. I love both of them. Honestly if I never tried Lyngdorf would have been happy with Marantz.

Back