• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Lumagen - 18G cards

Vodder

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Hi, anyone know how to work out if you have 18G input/output cards in a Lumagen please? If I press info it says N next to 18G on the output but then if I do that with it rigged up to my LG OLED and a Strato it changes to Y against 18G on the output.

Perhaps I'm missing something or looking in the wrong place, as surely it would be 18G regardless?

There should be a label just below the actual HDMI connections the rear panel.

Jim

Hey Jim. Sorry, missed this. Just had a look, no labels but I'm told by the guy who supplied it that it does have them. I just don't know which ones or how many

If the guy who supplied it mentioned "cards" (more than one), and you have a 4242, then all of your HDMI slots are 18GHz (there are two per card).

Jim

You can tell whether you have 18G input/cards by looking at "Info Pg 4" menu (press OK four times). On my 4446 I show,

18G:YYYY/YN

This indicates that all 8 inputs have 18G cards and outputs 1&2 have an 18G card.

John

John - you are a star! Thank you! Mine is a 4446 also but in my case it is showing YYNN/NN. Does that mean inputs 1-4 are 18G and none of my outputs are? Should I be looking to add the 18G output card?

Yes, that’s correct. The 18G input cards don’t do you any good unless you also have an output card. Of course, whether you need 18G cards at all depends on what exactly you are watching.

John

Just to add as a heads-up on the Pro - the 18G output cards only output video to one of the outputs. The other can do audio but not video. I happen to use three video outputs and one audio output. If I added a second 18G output card I would loose one of my video outputs.

John

Thanks John. Any pointers to a crash course in where I can find more info on the 18G and when/why I would need it? There is a contractor guy that is coming to configure everything once my room is complete but I’m still interested in understanding the “basics” of my investment :) I had a look on the Lumagen website and it isn’t abundantly clear.

My layman view is that the 18G cards are needed for 4K sources and displays, is that correct?

My 4K sources are Satellite TV, Xbox One X, Apple TV and, naturally, Strato
My display is an Epson LS10500 projector which can support 4K but isn’t native 4K

From what I read, it is usually 4K@60 that causes problems. This would normally be video games boxes but for me the only thing that needed it was the Strato and one movie that is in 60Hz: "Billy Lynn's Halftime Walk" in HDR. When I would check the "HDMI Capabilities and Status" while playing this movie I would get a warning. After upgrading, everything was fine.

But really I just wanted to be future proof (well as much as one can be) with my setup.

John

Thanks John. Funnily enough, I moved "Billy Lynn's Halftime Walk" to the top of my download queue last night so I'll give it a go later. I'm guessing as I don't have the output card it'll probably throw this warning but least I'll have something to go talk to my dealer about. Cheers! :)

For those of us with a Lumagen Radiance Pro this is coming soon ! Post #8107

"QUOTE
There is a new Radiance Pro feature for use with the Kaleidescape Strato:

This release also has a new feature for the Strato where the Pro can use the HDMI Info Frame "Graphics Flag" (set while showing the OSD), to distinguish it from video content (HDMI Info Frame reports "Video"). Here is the overview:

The Strato only outputs its OSD at 50 or 60 Hertz. To use this new feature to speed up movie starts we program the Pro output 24 Hertz for the Strato OSD, and for 24 Hertz video, and then have the Pro output 60 Hertz for 60 Hertz video content. This allows us to optimize the time it takes starting Strato movies at 24 Hertz, and still have 60 Hertz video content show at 60 Hertz automatically. I first program the Pro to "match content" for vertical rate (MENU 0872 for 3840 wide or MENU 0877 for 4096 wide). Then I program the Pro to output 4k24 for the OSD (using the Graphics Flag to know when this is). To do this I first use the new menu entry Input.Options.HDMI Setup.Use Graphics Flag = Yes (or it will be named something similar). Then I use the Output Setup Menu to select the Strato-input-number for the Input column, "All" for Memory, and "Other" for Input Mode. Then select 4k24 (either 4096 wide or 3840 wide, as appropriate) for the Output Mode. Then press OK, and then EXIT, and then do a Save. As this implies the Pro uses the "Other" input mode detection (usually reserved for PC resolutions) for this new feature.

The Pro should be set to SDR709 for both CMS0 and CMS1, or SDRP3 for both CMS0 and CMS1, or SDR2020 for both CMS0 and CMS1. Also HDR Flag = Off, and 2020 < -- > 601/709 = Auto Convert. These settings eliminate the Radiance Pro output restart that happens going from the OSD (SDR709) to/from an HDR movie.

In the Strato IP setup interface you need to go to: Settings -> Video -> Advanced Video Settings -> HDMI Content Type Metadata, and select the "Transmit content type metadata" option.

With this feature a 24 Hertz movie starts, or stops, take about 6 seconds in our Lumagen Demo Theater. This is the time the Strato takes to change from its 60 Hertz OSD, to 24 Hertz for movie content, and for the Pro to lock on to the change. It includes the time to start the movie (which I also believe is around 6 seconds. I say this since switching input rate on the Pro without an output change takes about 3 seconds and this case should be the same. This indicates the output rate change lock-on time at the Pro input does not increase the movie start time).

This is one of those cases where owning the company allows me to get a feature no one else has even asked for :). However, I think many Strato owners will like the ability to start movies faster (at the cost of a slower start time for 60 Hertz Video content). Side note: This might prove useful in certain cases for PCs, if the PC uses the Video/Graphics flags.

NOTE: I am not currently using the Kaleidescape "Costar" feature in the Lumagen Demo Theater. So I am not sure how content actually played form the "Costar" HDMI output (e.g. DVI discs not on the hard drive) will work with this feature. I have recently learned that content that is stored on the Costar hard-drive is actually played through the Strato. So this content should work with this feature.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen, Inc.

UNQUOTE"

I'll probably call Jim P., but I'm not sure what he means in that last sentence, ......."Co-Star hard-drive is actually played through the Strato." Obviously the Co-Star doesn't have a hard-drive, and if he's referring to the Premiere hard-drive, that's played through the Premiere Player attached, not the Strato. As we all know the OSD is Strato controlled, but not the Premiere content during playback (unless I'm misunderstanding his point, or something changed recently regarding playback, which I doubt).

Jim

He’s probably talking about Strato + Alto. HD downloads stored on the Alto would be played through the Strato. Only Blu-ray Discs would play through the Alto.

I asked that same question over at AVS forum. Also how to configure the HDMI output for the paired system (Premier or Alto/DV700)....

Are you guys using the physical Co-Star Switch, or the Lumagen internal Co-Star? (Curious)

Jim

Lumagen Pro in the theatre and co-star switch in the other rooms where I have Strato's installed.

Back