• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Longer than Usual HDMI runs and other cabling Qs

Calm-One

It's with a slightly sly smile I ask...

If your existing room had a 15 meter (~50ft) HDMI cable connecting a 1080p panel and equivalent receiver and everything worked without issue, when you chose to upgrade both the panel and receiver (even if they are later 4k models but same manufacturers) to allow for 4k, would you:

1) Choose to obtain new "certified for 4k" and "2.0" cabling?
In 2009 I invested in AudioQuest HDMI X in wall (unsure if this is what it was but that is what is on the end connector shielding (HDMI X aq). Since that time I have read alot about this being more about piece of mind and perception of quality versus engineering or technical limits. So I am unsure about what is hype and profit margins, and what is needed for functional quality and economics.

2) If so, is there recommendations on cabling vendors? Long HDMI cabling for use with 4K seems to be fairly rare. All my reseller has is https://secure.libertycable.com/product_details.php?pitem=DL-HDM-M-015M#orderOptions versus the well known brands pushed by big box retailers.

3) Would you choose to retain a couple RJ45 runs for Ethernet and Serial/Control usage, but remove component and other audio oriented cabling out of the solution?

Thanks

I've been having very good success using Ethereal MHX series cables coupled with their HDM-GA1 Gigabit Accelerator. Although the longest run we've had was 12 meters, the HDM-GA1 has been tested out to 15 meters with full support for the required 18Gbps to get 4K/60, 4:4:4, and HDR. It is said to work with any 24 gauge HDMI cable, so I would consider that purchase first and try it with your current cable, it might be fine, and if not than you can move to an MHX series, or equivalent. Here's a link to the HDM-GA1 (and cables if you search Metra's site): https://metrahometheater.com/hdm-ga1.html

Personally, I always run Cat cable to all devices that have an ethernet input for RS232 control, or standard ethernet input for product updates (if relevant), and normally a couple of runs for redundancy.

Your dealer should be able to get you the Ethereal gear if you decide to go that route, but if not and you need help, PM or email me and I'll get those items to you.

Jim

Back