• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Loading a Region-3 DVD

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I have a Region-3 DVD I want to import.

(The incredible "The Good, The Bad, and the Weird" from Korea that inexplicably still doesn't have a U.S. release date! Amazing movie, saw it at Telluride Film Festival and loved it. Found it at YesAsia.com in its original Korean edition. Some of the greatest action and chase sequences ever put on film IMO and an entertaining movie from start to finish for any fans of westerns or asian action movies! Review 1. Review 2.)

I digress. Anyway, I'm aware that each loader I have is allowed to have its zone switched a total of 4 times. But before I take the plunge and change one of mine, I want to clarify that restriction.

Both my loaders (a K-Reader, and a KP-6000 1080p Player) are obviously set to Region 1 right now. If I change one to Region-3 to load this movie, that counts as 1 of my 4 region swaps for that player. Does changing it back to Region 1 cost me another of my swaps or can you always return back to your "home" region without decrementing your swaps count?

Thanks,
-josh

Last edited:
Hi

Being a European we have more need to change regions - so sadly am used to this 4 change limit.

On every other device i've come across, there is no such thing as a home region, each change uses 1 "chance".

Im obviously not going to try and check my K-scape to see what happens, but I keep one of my K5000 on R1 and the other on R2, and Ive just added a music player which I will set to a different region if I ever need it, but for now its as-supplied on R1. I have three or four R3 and R4 disks that I just havent read in.

Cheers

Richard

Richard is correct. Switching back to R1 will take another one of the 4 changes.

The drive region doesn't need to match the original disc regions when you are playing pack imported content. Just when you are reading a physical DVD.

Again, following Richard's advice of keeping one drive for each region you used makes sense if you are going to have content from different regions.

Great, thanks all for the advice. Glad I have 2 loaders, given that I'll use 1, possibly 2 of my "changes" for this movie.

I guess this anecdotally shoots down my theory of using a speed reader to get over that one R-2 disc in my collection. For some reason had thought I read somewhere they ignore regions, but in retrospect, that does kinda fly in the face of K's pro-CSS license stance. Anybody know if it is possible to be factory-set (by K or the dealar) to something other than R-1 so you do not need to burn a pair of resets on initial import?

That's a good question. I would think systems sold to Region 2 areas (and other regions) would leave K with the player's set to those regions, but I'm not sure if K would be precluded from shipping a "preset" Region 2 player to a Region 1 area. I'll ask and post the answer.

Jim

Anything can probably be worked around, and I realize you are only pointing that out, but for others reading this, keep in mind that the SLA you accepted prohibits modifying the K System, which is defined as including all hardware.

Having said that, I do believe some owners have indicated they modified their players to work with SDI (not sure about HD-SDI), and that K permitted the modification, perhaps impliedly if not expressly, (but it did nullify their warranty, IIRC). This is not to say that K would look the other way on a Region free mod, I doubt they would given their CSS license prohibits Region free players.

Jim

Thanks all, as it turns out, I lucked out. The movie is a Region-3 NTSC DVD, so imported fine once I made the region switch to one of my loaders.

I have one of my players set to region-1, and the other set to region-2 (once my main batch of movies were imported) just for UK imports. I'm going to leave it that way, as I don't really need to import 2 movies at the same time anymore.

I was worried that the PAL movies wouldn't play back on my K-system, and it certainly appeared that was the case. I disabled the automatic resolution feature, and forced it to 1080p on my players though, and that took care of it. Both PAL and NTSC movies play perfectly on my systems now.

The studios "sticking" it to us users is one reason I'm so glad that K prevailed in their suit, and am hoping that REAL-Networks do too.

Back