• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

lip sync test material and hardware

grit

I'm trying to calibrate for audio delay (lip sync), which I beleive is a product of my Sony A9G. I was to find something similar to the old Spears and Munsil discs on the Kscape store, but haven't yet. Any suggestions for similar material?

I also found an app for my iphone that records video/audio and lets you measure the offset. It's not elegant, but gave better results than trying to guess. I also found a device called "Sync-One2", which appears to be a $450 tool that will precisely measure audio delay vs screen display, if you can play either their config files, Spears & Munsil, or something similar.

Has anyone found anything else for accurately measuring audio delay (hardware and/or display material, like Spears & Munsil)?

Thanks,

- Garrett

Unless the synch rate is different for the K system than a player, you should be able to set using a Blu-ray player with the S&M disc and it will apply to the K. I did this today in fact. I used both the BD and 4K BD version of S&M to fine tune my AV synch with my Trinnov. I noticed a few titles were off a bit when watching my Strato. Sure enough, it was off slightly. After I adjusted with S&M (I checked both versions and they were the same) I went back to Strato and it was fine.

The pattern on the Spears and Munsil disc is designed to do it by eye. I have a Synch-One2 to confirm though and it gave same result.

Oh, amazing! I was considering a Sync-One2. So, in your experience, it seems like just doing it by eye gives you as good of a result as the Sync-One2? I'd rather spend my money on more Kscape movies if the Sync-One2 isn't making a noticeable improvement.

It works well but I generally get the same result by eye. Some people struggle with the pattern, but I don’t have any issues with it.

l tried by eye... and failed. I downloaded a $20 app on my iphone that records the video/audio from H&M (or anything I imagine) and lets you adjust the audio to fit the video, showing the miliseconds you adjust. It's way better than my "by eye" estimate. By eye, I adjusted ~20ms, but knew it still wasn't right. The app had me adjust to 68ms, and it's much better, but I feel there's room for improvement. But that could also be my source material too.

I've read that one should have different adjustments for HD vs 4k vs HDR, and at different resolutions. Is that accurate? It seemed to me that whatever the processing lag induced by my Sony OLED, it should be relatively consistant across forms/formats.

I also read that one should calibrate for various input sources. But if the same hardware (in my case, the TV) is doing the video processing, there shouldn't be any source delay, as you indicated earlier, correct?

Presently, I'm only using a Kscape Alto and Strato. I pulled my Oppo BDP-203. After the recent disc to digital upgrade sale, I don't know that I have a need for 4k discs anymore (or HD for that matter). If 4k vs HD vd HDR is all source independent, I won't bother putting it back in I think.

BTW, thanks for all of your input!

- Garrett

Again, some people can do it by eye, some can't. Also, adjustments should ALWAYS be done in frame integers (time of a frame) so one frame, two frame, etc. Not random ms like you did. A single frame is about 42 msecs, so use that or 84, or 126, etc.

I sent a note to Jim Peterson and asked what he used for his setup for 4K24 and 4K60. Used that as a starting point since he also has a Trinnov, Lumagen Pro and Strato (although we have different projectors). For some strange reason my Oppo 205 seems to do something different. I don’t use that much, so wanted another opinion for my Strato. Used the delay feature in the Lumagen. Just eyeballed the final settings with material that had a lot of talking. :) Still think it might be cool to have some audio test material that could be downloaded from the store... SJ

I have a Strato, Lumagen and Trinnov. The video isn't ahead of the audio, so you wouldn't use the video delay in the Lumagen. In my setup, audio was one frame ahead of video, so I added a single frame of delay to the master setup of the Trinnov and it was perfect.

You are the expert :), but it seems to work fine using the Pro for whatever reason. That’s what Jim did. He gave me the video delays based upon his setup. Who knows. Haven’t touched the Trinnov. Are you going to be doing Trinnov audio calibrations now? SJ

Back