• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Limitations on Music Database Editing

dgindler

I find that one of the most frustrating features of the music system is that any changes to the artist field wipe out all metadata for all other fields -- so that if you change the artist's name for a CD, you need to re-enter all of other data for the CD, including every single song.

Now, you might wonder why one would need to make changes to the artist field. I doubt that many changes are needed, if any, when dealing with traditional rock/pop CDs. But the problem becomes truly annoying when working with classical albums. Sometimes the artist shows up as the composer (like J.S. Bach), sometimes the artist shows up as the conductor, sometimes the artist shows up as the orchestra, sometimes the artist shows up as the soloists -- all of which makes searching for classical albums by artist a complete nightmare.

The same is true of recordings of musicals. Sometimes the artist is the composer, sometimes it's the lyricist, sometimes it's both the composer and the lyricist, and sometimes it's something really helpful like "Original Broadway Cast."

I would have thought that Kaleidescape would release a music management system that's at least as powerful and as easy to use as free software like iTunes or Windows Media Player. But I guess not. Does anyone know whether Kaleidescape plans to remedy this problem -- or whether they even view this as a problem? I have been in touch with at least one engineer who says that Kaleidescape is aware of the issue and that they intentionally "locked-down" the artist field as a way of preserving all of the metadata associated with a CD. But I find that explanation to be truly unsatisfying.

These guys hit a grand slam with their movie management system. I was truly dissapointed (and slightly horrified) by the inadequacies of their music management system.

From what I've seen, they're not much focused on the music end of things. I agree, I find it lacking as well in many areas, but I imagine the people affected are in the minority

That's exactly my experience as well. My own guess is that they threw together the music system as a less costly way to attract customers to the Kaleidescape experience. And if you mainly listen to rock and pop, you will probably be satisfied. But for the rest of us, who listen to classical music or broadway musicals, it's a real problem. We are likely going to dump the Kaleidescape music server as a result.

I "think" we will see major improvements to music soon.:)

Jim

Jim, thanks for the response. Can I ask you two questions:

1. Why do you "think" that we will see major changes to music soon? This is important to me, because absent major changes in the very, very near future, we had planned to dump K-Scape for music management.

2. Will the improvements include eliminating the annoying problem of losing all metadata (album name, track names, everything) if you edit the artist field?

Now if we can find a way to import my iTunes library without my having to burn 100 CD's (and manually entering all of the artist/song info!).

I suspect (and have previously posted) that enabling importing of MP3s would put K in a weird legal spot, though it WOULD be nice. Then I can import albums I buy from Amazon (via MP3 download) and various singles.

Even better would be managing collections/playlists from iTunes or some other desktop software.

Wow, sorry guys, didn't think the post would get that much attention. As you all know, K doesn't normally make announcements about future products/plans, the BR Player release was an exception, and look at the heat generated there when there was a delay.

That's the case here, there has not been any official announcement on the music front and my comment is based on informal conversations I've had in the recent past. To say more would both, invoke some speculation on my part (not good), and perhaps cause problems for those people involved in the conversations.

Patience!:D

Jim

Thanks Jim.

In my case, several albums from Led Zepp, Rush, gosh I cant remember the others, but Ive had to go in and manually edit them. Example: Rush Chronicles 2 CD greatest hits collection. The system originally recognized it fine but recently it changed disc 2 to the DVD of this collection and the song order was all wrong. So in order to get them to play nicely as a 2 CD collection I had to go in and manually edit both. Not a big deal but not a necessary use of my time IMHO. Ive had a similar problem with Physical Graffiti...

Back