• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

LG OLED 77 and Strato Player

Chris, sorry to hear about all of these issues.

We have another customer with the same LG display who has had similar issues. Our engineering team is investigating. I'm not sure of the current status but I think we're in the process of trying to secure one of those LG displays to test with.

That makes three of us. FYI, I took one of my Stratos to a friend who also has the W7 and we had the exact same problem.

Kostas

Sounds like two, actually, because it seems that Chris's case is the one we already have open.

Chris, Support is going to reach out to you for some info.

Kostas, have you contacted Support about the issue? The more information we have, the better.

Kostas, have you contacted Support about the issue? The more information we have, the better.

Hi Mike,

No, because I am only using this system during the weekends and this one was the last for the season. If possible/useful please ask Rusty to take a look at the December or January logs. The name of this system is "Strato" :)

Thanks,

Kostas

Best of luck with that. Kscape asserts that it’s a hardware issue with the LG. Apparently, one of the Kscape owners had this i5ssue and LG replaced boards 4 times to correct it. The issue has to do with a HDCP handshake problem.

Mine flashes in and out with a red flash. Thanks to another member, I connected the Kscape to an Oppo Blu-ray player. It’s really half-#@&$, but it’s a work around. Atmos movies sometimes needs 3-4 reboots to work properly.

I have the issue with an LG OLED 77 and 65 both. Every other 4k UHD HDR/Dolby Vision source works flawlessly except the Strato.

Honestly, I’m so over it, I am thinking of returning the Strato as the Appletv 4k does everything the Strato can, doesn’t cost $6,000, and doesn’t cost $30 per movie, and works great with both LG TVs. Yes, Atmos works too, the AppleTV OS is in Beta, but it’s working for me.

Last edited:
**** Below is a message from Kscape to a consultant helping me unscrew this ******

Hello Xxxx,

As we discussed on the phone, we have had reported HDCP handshake problems specifically with LG OLED displays. My boss had the same problem on his LG OLED and after 3 trips out by LG and several board replacements the problem did get resolved. (note: swapping the Strato player out for a brand new one caused no change in the problem).

Sincerely,

Xxxxxxx

---------------------------------------------------------
Case Subject:
LG OLED red screen

Is it just the W77 model or is it all LG OLED models ?

Hoping it’s not all models as the 77C8 is going to finally be to my price range around this Black Friday, now all I need is for K to update the Strato with Dolby Vision....

I have issues with both the G7P and W7P, both are OLED’S.

Maybe it will be something that is fixed with the new models this year, will let you know when I buy one, but prolly won’t be until November

I won’t being buying one until around November of this year, if nobody has given you feedback by then I will....

Don't know where the problem comes from, but it seems logical this is on LG given the Strato works fine with the other major brands. I hope this is corrected going forward for those K owners with LG displays, but if it isn't, I'd give up the TV before before giving up my K system. Having previously placed two Sony Z9D displays side-by-side, with same settings and calibration, displaying the same movie from both sources, one displaying Apple TV, and one displaying from a Strato, you could see the image quality differences. The Strato was easily a better image.

That said, this test was done 4 months ago and Apple TV may have improved, not sure. It's also noted that these differences are not as noticeable when you're watching a single display, or watching on smaller screens. The differences are even easier to notice for those of us with projection systems and large screens.

In the end, we each find our own satisfaction levels. Many are fine with Apple TV (I did find it acceptable), but some of us continue to seek the best possible quality and currently that is still the Strato.

Jim

Don't know where the problem comes from, but it seems logical this is on LG given the Strato works fine with the other major brands. I hope this is corrected going forward for those K owners with LG displays, but if it isn't, I'd give up the TV before before giving up my K system. Having previously placed two Sony Z9D displays side-by-side, with same settings and calibration, displaying the same movie from both sources, one displaying Apple TV, and one displaying from a Strato, you could see the image quality differences. The Strato was easily a better image.

That said, this test was done 4 months ago and Apple TV may have improved, not sure. It's also noted that these differences are not as noticeable when you're watching a single display, or watching on smaller screens. The differences are even easier to notice for those of us with projection systems and large screens.

In the end, we each find our own satisfaction levels. Many are fine with Apple TV (I did find it acceptable), but some of us continue to seek the best possible quality and currently that is still the Strato.

Jim

When I get ready to purchase, I'm going to try and find out what specifically works with a Strato. I'm going to be replacing our family room display and will go with a Sony if the LG has issues. Looking at a 77" OLED version of either display. Our theater Sony projector works great (but is also going through a Lumagen Pro). SJ

I have a 77" LG Wallpaper and ran into this issue. LG ended up flashing the firmware of the television to emulate an older G series OLED. This fixed the Kaleidescape issue but has caused immeasurable other issues such as preventing the updates on the LG as required. I now get a lovely message everytime I attempt to power off the television or power it on. It gives me a "Pixel Shift" error message. :(

Ended up purchasing a new Sony 65” A9F OLED. It’s just fantastic and works perfect with K. SJ

Spent more time with the Sony A9F and my K system (Strato and Alto/DV700 integrated with costar), works perfectly just as solid as our theater Sony/Lumagen setup. The A9F produces a fantastic picture. SJ

I think the recent firmware update was to help LG and Samsung new models. My suggestion would be to contact support and maybe get their feedback. Having a display which has known issues with Strato would have been a non starter for me..... We actually watch more K in our family room zone than our dedicated theater....

Back