• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

LG OLED 77 and Strato Player

E

eyemanki

Hello for members –
I am hoping to get some opinions or assistance on the problem I am having with a new Strato player. My Strato player is brand new and was connected last week. When I try to play content from the player to an LG OLED77W7P and the screen goes from Black to playing the content for a second, back to black. The player was originally connected to a Denon AVR-X8500H receiver, which is connected to two LG TVs, the OLED77W7P and a OLED65G7P.

The content plays perfectly on the 65
The content flickers in and out on the 77
The Strato is new and software up to date
The 77 and 65 OLED software is up to date
The Denon software is current
I tried connecting the Strato directly to the 77, the picture did not go black, but did blink dramatically
Cables have been replaced and tried from Audioquest and others, all HDMI 2.1 and HDCP 2.2 certified
When the Denon is part of the configuration, the TV plays HDR and Dolby Vision @ 60Hz flawlessly
AppleTV4k, TV Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Oppo Blu Ray, Xbox 1x, all play 4k Ultra HD content on both TVs flawlessly. Only the Strato has issues with the 77 TV
Everything has been restarted several times.
Have tried every TV bandwidth option in advanced.

I would go into the Strato Browser interface, Settings, Settings, "Show primary video port capabilies and status" and see what it says.

The Strato has very good video debug tools.

John

I agree and you may wish to try the different display mode changes settings. Also, is the TV firmware up to date? Does the TV have any settings that could be causing problems? This strikes me as possibly a handshaking issue.

I have a Sony OLED TV that I had two problems with:

1) HDMI cable (always the first thing to check)
2) Sony needed to have HDMI input settings set to "Enhanced".

I don't know of LG has a setting similar to #2 above or not.

John

Reply to John and Jerry

Thank you gents, I had the same reaction, show I ran the test also. Attached are the results in three files.

There should not be any issue running 4k uhd/hdr content.

Other sources supply 4k hdr content through the Denon without any issues

Remember that even when wired directly, still an issue.

I hear you on the cable, but the cable used are HDMI 2.1 HDCP2.2 48Gbp rated except the run from the Denon to the 77 Inch. We have tried every cable in existence including the very latest cinamon cable. Again, the only issue we have is running 4k uhd content from the Kscape to the 77 inch.

Attachments

• D676D827-1975-4A62-AC00-1BA0AF007D00.jpg
    D676D827-1975-4A62-AC00-1BA0AF007D00.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 31
  • C7C0924B-FA35-46C7-8E27-74209432759D.jpg
    C7C0924B-FA35-46C7-8E27-74209432759D.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1FD4B714-A770-4EE9-A987-5021ACBCB8A2.jpg
    1FD4B714-A770-4EE9-A987-5021ACBCB8A2.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 21
Additional info:

See the complete config in screenshots.

“Enhanced” is selected within the Denon. I have done so it is not a solution.

Running HD only or below works perfectly. It’s only when trying to run 4k uhd/hdr content does drama begin.

JERRY-Yes, TV firmware is up to date, every device is current.

Attachments

• 7A4546C7-1216-4A83-B7C1-9FBB769F0950.jpg
    7A4546C7-1216-4A83-B7C1-9FBB769F0950.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 21
  • 71437D48-217C-4B6A-9135-9734F4F0E19A.jpg
    71437D48-217C-4B6A-9135-9734F4F0E19A.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 16
  • F055CD13-3E69-463E-90C9-B50BFE1C39C2.jpg
    F055CD13-3E69-463E-90C9-B50BFE1C39C2.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 14
  • CA6EBBDC-1EED-48E5-8A06-4A43F8FB37D3.jpg
    CA6EBBDC-1EED-48E5-8A06-4A43F8FB37D3.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 99D56D13-F36F-4750-931A-4FEB5B8119EE.jpg
    99D56D13-F36F-4750-931A-4FEB5B8119EE.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 14
Thank you gents, I had the same reaction, show I ran the test also. Attached are the results in three files.

There should not be any issue running 4k uhd/hdr content.

Other sources supply 4k hdr content through the Denon without any issues

Remember that even when wired directly, still an issue.

I hear you on the cable, but the cable used are HDMI 2.1 HDCP2.2 48Gbp rated except the run from the Denon to the 77 Inch. We have tried every cable in existence including the very latest cinamon cable. Again, the only issue we have is running 4k uhd content from the Kscape to the 77 inch.

Thanks for the screen shots. The first picture has the yellow triangle showing some capabilities have been overriden. The third photo shows that the Strato is outputting 1080p content with a lot of N/A for everything else. Try looking at this same screen while you are playing 4K HDR content. If everything is OK, it should look like this:

FECDD620-D829-4395-9CC2-692FBF3ABCAD.jpg

I have looked through your advanced settings and I can’t see anything that is set differently than what I have - but I need to look in more detail.

John

PS That’s a really nice TV you have there!

Have the exact same issue. No major problem connecting a Strato C to my LG E6 series, I nevertheless had to tweak the Strato C video settings. Don’t remember exactly what but I can find out.
Same as you, as I had no success with a Strato player(with HDD) and the LG W7 I have at another location. I tried different cables, different settings in both the LG and the Strato without success. Almost identical issues. Same player works in every other TV and projector that I connected it to.
I ended up using Oppo’s(203) input and problem solved. Not the ideal solutions I know, but since it worked I never contacted K’s or LG’s support. A friend told me that the quality of the HDMI inputs of the LG W soundbar are not of good quality. Just quoting....
Since I have no issues with my other Strato C players(one is connected to my VW5000 via a Lumagen and the other one connected to my bedroom’s TV(E6)) I can only assume that the problem is with the LG. In the meantime and provided that you own the 203 or the 205 try the OPPO solution it works.

Hi JohnJ-
Here are the revised settings, no joy. I think I have tried every setting and combination now.

5 attachments total.

I told the company that installed it that they have until Friday to fix it or they can come get it. I give it about a 10% chance they find a fix

Chris

Attachments

• C550940E-C5D8-4C5F-94B8-CB63987E41A4.jpg
    C550940E-C5D8-4C5F-94B8-CB63987E41A4.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 15
  • A93B029C-F8F9-4B0E-8A05-6849E814F2E7.jpg
    A93B029C-F8F9-4B0E-8A05-6849E814F2E7.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 58E4EC39-916E-47A7-8338-843CC8441E73.jpg
    58E4EC39-916E-47A7-8338-843CC8441E73.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 11
Greetings

As luck would have it, I bought an Oppo 205 just because Kscape doesn’t have a ton of 4k uhd/hdr movies with Atmos.

I agree, this is a bit ugly, but It’s better than not being able to use it at all?

Thank you

Hi JohnJ-
Here are the revised settings, no joy. I think I have tried every setting and combination now.

5 attachments total.

I told the company that installed it that they have until Friday to fix it or they can come get it. I give it about a 10% chance they find a fix

Chris

They all look good. The only thing that I have configured differently is that I "Allow display mode changes". This is not going to fix your problem, however.

John

Reply to Telem

Hey Telem!

It works wired your way, but I lost good audio features. How did you get it to pass Atmosin this setup?

Chris

The issue is likely with the LG. Some of their models have a problem with EDID, and therefore handshake issues. The weird thing is it does not happen with every model, nor within the same model group (i.e. some 77's are fine and others have the problem, some 65's experienced the problem, and some do not). I'm not saying the Strato isn't contributing to the issue, tolerances seem to be getting tighter of late when it comes to devices talking to each other. I blame HDMI, and the latest "updates" to HDCP as well. Given the complexity of some of the systems we enthusiasts put together, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to get a clean signal from source to display, and getting that signal accepted for issue free playback.

I have both Sony and LG OLED's, as well as Sony's Z9D panels, and their 5000ES projector. All of them work well with my K systems, including multiple Strato's. The only models that ever gave me problems were the LG models. I corrected one with a cable change, and the other was exchanged for a new model. The new model works fine, and it's a 20' cable run.

I wish I could say "do this" and it would fix the problem, but there doesn't seem to be a specific solution.

That said, all of these products should work together, especially considering the costs involved.

Jim

Reply to Jim

Thank you Jim. This project has been something just short of the Bradley fighting vehicle. I had originally bought an Atlona 8x8 HDMI switch for the devices. I will skip the drama, but this $4000 switch does not support HDR or Dolby Vision. Not even Krell had gear that did all this beyond 4x.

As luck would have it, Denon had just released the new flagship, AVR-X8500H. Once that was installed it was a breeze in comparison to some of the other devices to set up. I have not found anything better on the market. The Kscape was a last-minute addition . The company that sold it to me was sure that would work just fine, it is the last part of this six month long project to be wrapped up. The only thing I should have thought through it a bit better was locating a method to rip 4K Blu Rays or a 4K Blu-ray changer. I think Kscape has a solution, but it was not clear whether it supported 4k UHD/HDR, Atmos, etc.

Hopefully I find a resolution on this. Another poster suggested connecting the Kscape to the Oppo 205 input. That works, but I lost Atmos audio.

Still working at it!

Hey Telem!

It works wired your way, but I lost good audio features. How did you get it to pass Atmosin this setup?

Chris

Chris,

I used Strato's 2nd HDMI output(audio only) to connect to the processor.
For video: Strato HDMI out -->Oppo --> LG and
For audio: Strato HDMI out 2 --> Audio Processor.

Bit of a manual work involved to watch a movie but I really don't care, the image quality of the w7 is simply stunning. Don't send it back unless you can get another w7 to see if it works better, or a w8 -:)

Best,

Kostas

As luck would have it, I bought an Oppo 205 just because Kscape doesn’t have a ton of 4k uhd/hdr movies with Atmos.

Chris, there are close to 90 UHD/HDR movies with Atmos and all the Harry Potter UHD/HDR movies with DTS-X.

https://store.kaleidescape.com/dolby_atmos/titles

Fox and NBC HDR movies(NBC’s Lucy is the exception)are still not available with Atmos or DTS-X , I sincerely hope that it’s only a matter of time until this happens.

Kostas

Reply to Telem

Telem-

Thank you again for your advice. Piping it through the Oppo and a sep digital audio was the key to getting HDR/Atmos working together. The other nuance was setting the 2nd interface to bitstream.

So, the installer set up an MRX with a Kscape button that switches the Denon to the HDMI port for the Oppo, changes to HDMI Input 1, and switches audio to the digital audio port.

The only irritating thing is that you have to turn on closed captioning every film.

I can live with that.

Thank you again!

Chris

Chris, sorry to hear about all of these issues.

We have another customer with the same LG display who has had similar issues. Our engineering team is investigating. I'm not sure of the current status but I think we're in the process of trying to secure one of those LG displays to test with.

Reply to MikeKobb

Hi Mike-

It might be me if it was opened by Strategic Home Media of Maryland. Their subcontractor is the most knowledgeable about the Strato, Derek. I provided him the workaround I was provided on here, he was as amazed as I was.

Even when the Strato was called directly to the 77 LG, same results. When it was connected to an OLED65G7P, no problems, even when connected through the Denon. Both TVs purchased at the same time.

Chris

Back