• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

LG DVD Ripping

The linked article mentions CD ripping and a 250GB hard drive. It may possibly be able to rip DVD's with a "software update" but I think the hard drive is primarily for storing downloaded media along with CD rips. LG makes some good products but I don't think this anywhere close to a K experience.

As far as I know K provides the only legal way of storing licensed DVD's digitally on hard drives.

As far as I know K provides the only legal way of storing licensed DVD's digitally on hard drives.

For the moment at least. It's only been "legal" this long because of a contractual dispute. They're going back to court now to figure out if the mechanism that they use is fully compliant.

One should note that the M700 is capable of storing DVDs and CDs in addition to Blu-ray - very handy contingency plan if all of a sudden the courts decide that a physical DVD needs to present to authenticate playback.

For the moment at least. It's only been "legal" this long because of a contractual dispute.......

Certainly not the way K (or their counsel) see it. They have a valid ("legal") contract. The argument has been over how to interpret some of the language in this "legal" contract and whether or not K is in compliance with the controversial language. It is, however, correct to state that litigation on this interpretation issue is ongoing, and I'll add that K has every confidence they will eventually prevail.:)

Having litigated many cases over the years, I agree that having the vaults available is a good thing (think settlement).:)

Jim

Perhaps those with existing systems would be grandfathered and those going new would require vaults?

I doubt this will be settled any time soon. As it stands, Kaleidescape is able to operate as though it has won - there is no real downside to their business and the cloud over them seems to be doing more to dampen competitors from entering the business than it has to harm business.

California is cutting the staff dramatically on civil courts due to budget contraints. They cannot do that in criminal courts because of constitutional rights to a speedy criminal trial. No such rights exist for contractual disputes.

Long and short of it: the court delays are going to get much longer and given that there is no injunction, that works in Kaleidescape's benefit. Also the DVD CCA is highly unlikely to be granted an injunction given the written opinions of the judges in the existing case documents.

Perhaps those with existing systems would be grandfathered and those going new would require vaults?

I doubt they've gotten this far because of K's position (speculating here), but it certainly makes sense as an end result.:)

So, all you "fence-sitters" reading this better hurry and buy your K system NOW!!!:D

Jim

I doubt this will be settled any time soon. As it stands, Kaleidescape is able to operate as though it has won - there is no real downside to their business and the cloud over them seems to be doing more to dampen competitors from entering the business than it has to harm business.

California is cutting the staff dramatically on civil courts due to budget contraints. They cannot do that in criminal courts because of constitutional rights to a speedy criminal trial. No such rights exist for contractual disputes.

Long and short of it: the court delays are going to get much longer and given that there is no injunction, that works in Kaleidescape's benefit. Also the DVD CCA is highly unlikely to be granted an injunction given the written opinions of the judges in the existing case documents.

That's interesting Mike, didn't realize things had gotten that tight in the civil courts.

Jim

Last edited:
Back