• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Learned Something New About Grandfathered Systems

Kicker

Hi everyone - I learned something new about grandfathered systems in the process of shrinking mine...

I've been working on migrating to my 40TB Terra server after trading in one of my three 1U servers and finally finished downloading everything (330+ downloads on a 30 Mb/s connection at night and on weekends when we were gone - 4 months!).

Since I'm nervous about the eventual failure of the 1U systems, I did some more work and figured out I could further consolidate from two 1U servers down to one and sell the unused system. My older one has 4x 4TB drives and the newer one has 3x 6TB drives. So I removed the older serial number and started replication...

Maybe everyone else knew this, but I always thought "grandfathered" applied to my system and not individual components. Turns out that was incorrect because once replication started, I saw DVDs couldn't be copied with an error statement of "Target system cannot import protected DVD". I contacted support and Rusty made it clear that the grandfathered import was serial number specific by 1U server.

For now, I stopped replication and brought it back in - back to full function!

So... if I wanted to keep DVD import, I'd have to swap the drive sets, then start over by removing the higher serial number server instead - is that right?

And... when the older server eventually dies and can't be repaired - DVD import is gone forever?

I would still like to have DVD import for things that only exist on DVD and are not in the store. But I also have plenty of space left in my disc vault, so maybe it's not a big deal after digging out the old discs and putting them back in.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The grandfathered status is associated with a particular server by serial number. If at least one server in the system is grandfathered, then the whole system is grandfathered as you observed. But if a non-grandfathered server is removed from that system, it reverts back to non-grandfathered.

I have read here that the grandfathered status can be transferred from one server to another by K support. For example if someone was trading up to a 1U+ server, the granfathered status could be transfered from the old server to the new server. I think you could probably do the same thing if your grandfathered server were to die. You would have to check with K support for details.

So... if I wanted to keep DVD import, I'd have to swap the drive sets, then start over by removing the higher serial number server instead - is that right?

And... when the older server eventually dies and can't be repaired - DVD import is gone forever?
@AlienWarlock is correct.

The DVD CSS support ("grandfathering") is tied to a specific serial number.

In your scenario above, you would need to transfer the grandfathered status to the server you are planning to keep active. You can do so by contacting Kaleidescape Support.

Good to know. Thanks for confirming! I would prefer to keep the newer server for longevity so I will request that.

Back