• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

LATEST UPDATE ON K

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK got it. Had a chat with an executive at K and I feel better about the possibilities going forward. Optimistic more so than ever.

So do I.......:)

Jim

What "upgrade" options are currently showing in the extranet?

Do they still have the HDD upgrade offer: buy a new set, return your old set + old server, get an overhauled server included with the new HDD set?

Awesome News !!!!!
Just got the confirmations that my Kaleidescape orders are starting to
ship out:)
Now that's some great news!!!!!

Sorry no, the main promo's now are trade up from the older Premiere line Players, and small servers to larger servers, or M-class components. No disk trade-ups at this time.

Jim

Awesome News !!!!!
Just got the confirmations that my Kaleidescape orders are starting to
ship out:)
Now that's some great news!!!!!

That's great! ;)

Jim

Great news that everything is open again. I still think it's necessary for Kaleidascape to explain what has changed though and provide a road map of the future. Otherwise it's too risky for a new customer or a dealer to sell to a new customer.

There's a big difference between - the owner has been loaned a buck from the bank and - xyz company has invested millions for a large equity stake.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

The company is indeed back. The only explanation you will likely get will be contained in an upcoming brief announcement from K. The short answer to your "explain what has changed" question is that the company has restructured its operations, adjusted priorities, and is moving forward. It's understandable that might not be enough for some, but K wouldn't make the statement if they were not comfortable that the changes would result in long term support for their customers and dealers.

Jim

Jim

So no official notification - or is that to follow? or have I missed something.

EDIT - it's OK my comprehension skills left me momentarily - should have read the second sentence more closely.

Last edited:
This is great, I look forward to the announcement and continued development of the software

Looking forward to any type of announcement. And I hope they explain exactly what their priorities are moving forward. SJ

Gentleman on AVS posted this:

Cheena just sent out this email:

"Dear Kaleidescape Stakeholder,

On August 19, Kaleidescape temporarily ceased operations because we ran out of money. As the news spread, we were overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from our shareholders, employees, suppliers, other luxury A/V component manufacturers, the major motion picture studios, distributors, dealers, and (most importantly) our customers. Our customers passionately communicated their desire for us to continue providing the very best platform for movie playback.

Our team at Kaleidescape became energized and inspired to continue this journey. We spent the past 16 years carefully building a valuable technology, excellent products, and a highly respected brand in the worldwide custom channel. Our customers and dealers told us that Kaleidescape is the only luxury movie experience for the home, and they do not want to go back to watching movies from discs and streaming services.

We are delighted to announce that we have restarted operations. We restructured the company, slashed expenses, and obtained the investment needed (with no change of control). We are manufacturing and shipping a significant backlog of products that were ordered during the past two weeks. We are confident that our restructuring combined with this new investment will enable Kaleidescape to quickly return to growth and profitability.

Kaleidescape's stumble began last October when we launched the Kaleidescape Strato movie player. We made the mistake of pre-announcing software features that were not finished. One of those features – Blu-ray disc support for the Strato player – was a monstrous project that required certain critical software components from third-party suppliers. When third-party schedules slipped, we applied more of our own engineering resources to compensate, but we simply did not have enough engineering resources to remove schedule uncertainty and finish Strato's Blu-ray disc support in a reasonable period of time. Because almost all of our engineering resources were focused on this Blu-ray project, other features we had promised for Strato were delayed, including HDR, Terra support for large numbers of players, DVD playback, and playback from a Premiere system. Strato is an amazing award-winning product, even without these additional software features. Unfortunately, we created the perception that Strato was an unfinished product, and our sales suffered accordingly.

The "new Kaleidescape" will take on fewer projects, and we will not pre-announce a product or feature until it is completed – especially if completion depends on a third party.

Kaleidescape will continue to sell and support both Premiere and Encore products. We expect to release kOS 7.3 in the near future, without Blu-ray disc support for Strato. It will include HDR playback, Terra support for large numbers of players, and Strato playback of DVD discs from a Disc Server. A number of HDR movies will become available in the movie store at that time.

We have decided to focus our precious development efforts on forward-looking technologies that will enable our movie store to offer even more titles, with even higher quality, in earlier release windows. To enable our engineers to focus on these exciting new technologies, we have re-prioritized Blu-ray disc support for Strato, which we hope to introduce in a 2017 release of kOS.

We wish to thank all those who have shown us their support, and helped us to achieve this positive outcome.

Please email me directly if you have any questions relating to the "new Kaleidescape."

Sincerely,

Cheena Srinivasan, CEO
Kaleidescape, Inc."

I very much appreciate the detailed email Cheena sent out. My only wish was that things were actually opposite in terms of their plans. This is just my opinion, but i'd rather have bluray playback from my vault right now then the other features he mentioned. I obviously dont know the facts, but i thought we were so close to getting this feature :)

having said that, i am so, so, so happy K is back. its the one piece in my theater that cannot be replaced by any competitors. plus im happy we all get to continue this forum with talks of upcoming firmware's and new content!

As the news spread, we were overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from... major motion picture studios...

Hopefully these events will help the studios treat K nicer :)

We need more studios, full UV & DMA support, and more Special Features!

Glad there is a path forward and look forward to more movies and HDR, but hopefully my disk server will be usefull as I really didn't intend to load DVDs into it as my dealer certainly didn't sell it to me for that purpose. The Alto and Strato must really be architecturally different. SJ

I am very happy they are back- well done! If the price to get back is they are delaying the BR playback until next year- then that's OK.

When I decided to pay what it took for a Strato, I was perfectly willing to substitute buying files from the Kscape Store for buying physical discs. To make that work going forward, though, Kscape will have to be able to offer the same UHD HDR titles in the Kscape Store as we can buy on disc from Amazon or Walmart. Time will tell.

I'm not sure for how long a physical disc option will be possible. The k store is the future. They need this to be a viable long term solution. I'm certainly happy they're back! Let's hope for more studios too

While I would like to get the blu Ray disc support, I think K is prioritizing perfectly. If I were running the company, I would also devote precious resources to the forward looking aspects of the company than backwards compatibility.

Having said that, unless K gets more studios and TV shows onboard, blu Ray support is still very important and so am glad that this will be released sometime next year. Hopefully the merge of premiere and encore line will also materialize soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back