• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

LATEST UPDATE ON K

Status
Not open for further replies.
When will we hear something official from K? We are a dealer, our rep has no info, and our customers want something, anything! It's great that I can buy things through extranet, but why would I? I'm trying to remain positive, but the only info available is via Jim in this Forum and a couple of random interviews confirming that it's a sad situation.

I want to avoid the thought of the few remaining folks simply trying to get what they can for what's left of inventory but...a spade is a spade...isn't it?

I fear this is going to be too little too late, but here is my full review of Strato that will run in the next print issue of Sound & Vision. (Jim, if this would be better posted elsewhere and gain more visibility, let me know or please move it on your own.)

If nothing else, this review is a testament to the amazing level of quality the company was producing right up to the very end. The support that I've received from EVERY Kaleidescape employee over the years has been absolutely first-rate in every regard. Several members of the team I went on to have good personal relationships with well outside of the company. Every problem, regardless of how minor, was investigated and handled promptly.

Strato really showed the promise of where the company was going and just what this amazing team pulled off. If Strato is to be Kaleidescape's swan song, it was a damn glorious one. Enjoy the review...

http://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ra-hd-movie-player-review#pzXKopKosCKBVWRU.97
John Sciacca

Great review John. I've always enjoyed your content. Its a sad subject indeed, but many of us still have a lot of hope. It would be such a shame to see such amazing efforts go to waste.

are most of you just taking advantage of D2D while you can, with fear that it might not be an available feature in the future (if K survives)? I have like 100+ movies I could do this with, but never bothered too because I am out of space on my Strato. Just wondering if I should be taking more action than I am right now.

Disk to Digital

Hi folks,

Has anyone tried to do the disc to digital thing on their kscape system? I have a few blu-rays that I wanted to get converted so I put them into my system but when I click on digital offers it says it cannot contact the store... I see the movie on the store so I know it is there.

Thanks!

I've been downloading and importing for more than a week now with no interruptions. Might be a bit slow but its happening. Running two systems, (Premiere and Strato) on separate matrix inputs and both are working fine.

Do the servers actually have a copy of the entire movie guide? Minus the cover art.
Yes they do.

Reason being Ive noticed some times when downloading from the store, downloads don't start until a movie guide update has been performed. Is the update to do with the movie being downloaded or something else?
It's a little different with regard to Movie Store content. TBH, I don't know the internal details there, but that issue is specific to content from the Movie Store.

texmexter, There are numerous posts on this issue in these threads, this has happened to several other owners as well. It is likely the VERY heavy traffic on the Store at the moment. The infrastructure can only handle so much traffic, and it has been regularly overloaded with downloads ever since the announcement from K on Friday. Just keep trying.

Jim

I had never heard of Kaleidescape before last month when my friendly neighborhood high-end AV dealer told me abut the Strato. It was love at first sight and I bought a Strato along with upgrades to almost every component in my home theater. My Strato was installed on August 1st, so last Saturday's news of Kscape's apparent failure was gut-wrenching. Like everybody else here, I hope that an angel rides to the company's rescue.

After I ordered my Strato but before its delivery, I bought digital copies from Vudu of all of my BDs and a bunch of DVDs too, which I upgraded to HDX. I also redeemed a number of UltraViolet eligible BDs. The net effect of all this is that I have well over 100 titles in my Kscape library, a little over half of which have now been downloaded to my Strato. With a little bit of luck, the Kscape Movie Store will survive long enough for me to download the rest of my library and to buy new titles too.

Tex,
I've been using the D2D since we heard of the closing. Using the app I go to manage tab and select disk to digital. It refreshes with all the available content from my own movies. You have the option to deselect whatever you choose. the idea is to get as much as possible on the server and as little as possible in the vault.

It's a little different with regard to Movie Store content. TBH, I don't know the internal details there, but that issue is specific to content from the Movie Store.

The interaction between the system and the store prevents a download from beginning until *all* relevant guide data is present and processed on the system. For store content, in addition to the regular guide data (play items, metadata, etc), the system must have the cover art present (in all resolutions that are used in various locations throughout the OSD, browser interface, etc). Until all of that is in place, download of that title will be prevented and you'll see the "Guide update" message.

Quick update after meetings last night. There is still a lot of hard work being done, and more to do, different options under consideration, and many more variables at play than I realized when we started this process, but no one is giving up. Not including myself, there are some very smart people involved in examining solutions, in addition to potential investment. I know that statement is very general, and really says nothing that cannot already be assumed, but unfortunately I cannot say more at this time. Just wanted you to know that no one is sitting around doing nothing, there is a LOT of concern for you (owners), and the employees at K.

From the beginning I must say it has been all about the employees and owners in discussions with Exec's at K. People can say what they want about Cheena, and Mike, and others at the top, but hearing the genuine concern for all of us in their voices and comments, speaks volumes about who these people really are at their core. In all of my years conducting business, I've never encountered a more caring leadership in situations like this, these are some really good people. The best and worst comes of people in times like this, and with these guys I'm seeing only the best. Wanted you all to know what I'm seeing on this end. Don't yet know where all of this will end up, but everyone is working for a positive outcome. Hang in there!:)

Jim

Last edited:
Thank you for the update Jim. I like many I am sure appreciate all of your efforts and updates. I must be honest that the news last Friday really hit hard, but to get these updates really helps and I am cautiously optimistic that something good will come out of all of these efforts that you and many others are doing to try and find a solution. I sometimes find it is at times like these when companies actually come out of these extremely difficult situations much stronger and I do hope that this is one of those situations.

Again thank you and all that are working towards a solution very much.

What is it specifically that Kaleidescape must get to survive?
I know some part of it is Money, but it cant just be that.!!

Help me understand the situation..

It's just money. It is not about debt, there is very little. I will not publicly discuss the specifics, but suffice to say they are working on several options. In all situations like this, it is always about money. What is different from company to company is how that money needs to be applied to fund a recovery. Those discussions are ongoing.

Jim

Hmm

is there any explanation why they ended up in such a situation like this?
And sorry for asking... but, is it possible to let us know how much money is needed to get them out of this situation and to get back to normal.?

The fact that they don't have a lot of debt seems very positive as their Encore platform (with a few key functional items remaining), would be posed to generate more revenue. SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back