• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CONFIRMED FIXED: Latest Star Trek Movie Problem

mgfair

I have just purchased a Region 3 disc (4717411185863) of this recent movie. It will not download to the server although I can play it. Are there issues with new Paramount discs or do I have a faulty disc?

Mark

The new Star Trek movie will not be released here until Nov. 17th, perhaps that's the problem (K may not have it yet). It is too early for those of us in the U.S. to know if it will import. If it is an import problem, K has been very good of late in getting these issues corrected, so shouldn't be too long before a fix is in (assuming it is not a defective disk).

Jim

I should add that I got the error message: "DVD unable to import". The tray would open up after about 15-20 seconds after insertion.

I just successfully imported the movie.

Which version did you purchase, the single Disc DVD or the 2-Disc DVD Set?
I have the 2-Disc version. The bonus features imported (Disc 2) but not the movie (Disc 1).

I am hoping to get my multi disc blu ray + dvd version today and will report. It was supposed to be here yesterday but UPS goofed.

I woke up this morning and read that Bartok was able to import the single disc version of Star Trek. After reading that I decided that later on today I was going to go back to BB and exchange my 2 disc version for the one disc version saying that the movie disc does not play in my DVD player. But for some reason a little voice popped up in my head and said "Try importing it again", so I did.

Voila ! ! ! It worked. Kaleidescape was able to import it in under 10min.

Voila ! ! ! It worked. Kaleidescape was able to import it in under 10min.

This applies to most popular new releases:
If you insert the disc to import *and* the import fails *immediately*, wait approximately 24-48 hours and try the import again. It will usually be fixed within that timeframe.

Note, however, that if the import fails sometime *after* the import started, then the issue is a bigger one and will probably not be automagically fixed.

I made a mistake with my Blu Ray 3 disc set. I assumed the 3rd disc was a DVD- its not. Its the digital copy only. FYI in case anyone buys the 3 disc blu ray set thinking it includes a DVD. It doesnt :(

Jerry, they got me too. I made the same mistake. On Amazon it's listed as "Three-Disc +Digital Copy [Blu Ray]. Well to me that means 3 discs, and a digital copy. A 2 disc Blu Ray version, the DVD version, and the digital copy. In my mind, even if they don't include the DVD version, they are still short a third Blu Ray disc.

But of course, under their way of thinking, that's not the case. You get Disc 1 (movie), Disc 2 (supplements) and Disc 3 (digital copy). To me this is actually a Two-Disc +digital copy version. That plus sign is very misleading.

I made a mistake with my Blu Ray 3 disc set. I assumed the 3rd disc was a DVD- its not. Its the digital copy only. FYI in case anyone buys the 3 disc blu ray set thinking it includes a DVD. It doesnt :(

which, by the way, I wish more releases did have both the Blu-ray and DVD in a bundle. It really is no skin of the studio's nose to do that (probably $0.25 per unit??) You charge maybe $3 or $4 more and include it as a separate bundle from the Blu-ray only or DVD only.

It seems to be big really only on the Kids Movies (a la Disney) for the obvious reasons...one in the theater or "good" TV, one in the playroom or in the car. It just makes so much more sense and is a great bridge for all of us where we can have the DVD on our K Server and have the Blu-ray for when we want to really sit down and have a "showing" of the film and not just watch a scene or two.

They got me also. Ordered from Amazon thinking the same thing. I think I'll pay more attention to the "Product Details" and "Special Features" sections from now on, it clearly indicates "3" disks and then goes on to tell you what is on each disk.

I normally only check the Aspect Ratio (trying to maximize my A-Lens setup so looking for 2.35 only, when possible).

Jim

Yep. On the plus side this is my first time trying the digital copy via itunes and it works really easily. Picture quality is very watchable. Wondering how it will look on my iphone.

I think one day we will simply pay a yearly licensing fee and be able to get at whatever content we want. The size of the fee will be determined by which amount of content we want.

Yep. On the plus side this is my first time trying the digital copy via itunes and it works really easily. Picture quality is very watchable. Wondering how it will look on my iphone.

lol, only on a videophile forum would you see someone saying it's watchable haha :)

:) I can report its pretty darn good on the iphone. Star Trek is here today- these iphones and blackberries and droid phones etc- especially with the internet connection...

Back