• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Latest KoS Version & Changelog?

The only change in 8.4.5 was related to supporting certain Movie Store content.

10.6.2 includes some bug fixes, including a fix for a rare software update issue that caused us to pause the 10.6 rollout (which is why some people got 10.6 awhile ago and others did not).

Speaking of 10.6, the more user visible changes that debuted in 10.6.0 are:
  • Improved content download system (faster and more robust)
  • New audio output capabilities diagnostic tool (browser interface tool in Settings->Audio->Show audio capabilities and status)
  • New option to prefer alphabetized cover ordering on the OSD covers place
  • Improved performance for systems with a large number of downloaded/cataloged movies
  • Kaleidescape scripts now properly support movies containing multiple qualities

New kOS 10.6.3-20457 for the Encore systems. Bug fixes I guess?

Yup.

• Improve control protocol performance for systems with large libraries
  • Restored the “Press play to start from beginning” wedge when resuming from a paused bookmark
  • Restored previously selected audio/subtitle tracks resuming playback
  • Fixed playback of "You Got Served" (SD) on Strato
  • Various network diagnostic and health improvements
  • Various bug fixes

Yup.

• Fixed playback of "You Got Served" (SD) on Strato

Just because I'm a nerd, do you have any info on why one version of one movie required a software update to play correctly? I'm just so damn curious.

Kevin D.

Just because I'm a nerd, do you have any info on why one version of one movie required a software update to play correctly? I'm just so damn curious.

It's a very low-level problem that only affects a small number of SD titles. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to explain but the end result is that these titles can exhibit tearing and stuttering video during playback of specific sections of the movie.

However, the fix for this issue is not included in kOS 10.6.3. That particular bullet point was included in the release notes that were sent out by Engineering by mistake. The fix was deemed too risky to include in a small patch release and so was pulled from the 10.6.3 release in order to allow more time for the Engineering team to fully understand the problem and regression test the playback engines.

Last edited:
Thanks John.

Jim

New kOS 10.6.4-20558 for the Encore systems. More bug fixes ?

Thanks,

Kostas

It's a specific fix for an HDMI interop issue between kOS and certain 2019 models of Samsung and LG display devices.

It's a specific fix for an HDMI interop issue between kOS and certain 2019 models of Samsung and LG TVs.

Great thanks, John ! I confirm that there are no more HDCP issues with my Q90R bedroom TV.

Thank you!!

New kOS 10.7.0-21018 for the Encore systems. I have noticed that downloaded preorders in status “awaiting playback authorization“ can now be deleted, I don’t think that it was possible before. If a preorder had been downloaded but canceled before release, there was no charge but there was no way to delete the downloaded content from the system(unless contacting K?)

Is that correct?

Any other changes? Thanks @MikeKobb

I should start first by saying that kOS 10.7.0 is still in the very early stages of release, mostly to internal users, sales, and dealers at this time. It will continue to roll out over the next couple of weeks.

The most user-visible thing right now is that starting movie playback using the PLAY command from any OSD view will present a dialog prompting the customer to choose to resume playback or to start from the beginning. This scenario was previously handled by displaying a wedge with similar options, but that could be missed in certain customer installations that require lengthy display mode changes. This also gives you a way to more cleanly start a movie from the beginning, rather than having it jump to the paused location first. The default option in the dialog is to resume from the paused location, and you can just hit the Play button again (or OK) to choose that option. This feature will also apply on Premiere/Co-Star, although that kOS release to external parties has not yet begun.

Second, on Alto and Strato, we've done some work on better integrating movie details pages when you have multiple different versions of a movie on your system. Previously, things like extras might be broken up into groups, showing what was on the HD download, what was on the SD download, etc. Now they are all shown together. The "Other Versions" item, which used to be there to let you get to the details pages of those other versions, has been replaced with a "Play Other Version" menu under the More Options menu, since playing a different version was the main motivation for having access to the other details pages.

Somewhat more subtle is that pause bookmarks now span versions. The pause bookmark was previously bound to a single quality. kOS 10.7.0 maintains a single pause bookmark for all qualities of a movie. Note that in systems with a Strato and an Alto, a paused bookmark created for a 4K UHD/HDR movie will not be visible on the Alto. This feature does not apply to Co-Star content, because the pause bookmarks for content on the Premiere system is stored on the Premiere.

There are many other under-the-hood changes and bug fixes as well, but those are the user-visible highlights.

Seems it has broken the option to use an M700 as a paired player with a Strato so let's hope 10.7.0-X update is available very soon so as to be able to see and play all my movies once more.

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear that you were affected by this. Yes, in fact this was identified early in the roll-out, and a fix is being incorporated for release shortly.

A fix for this issue has started rolling out. Affected systems should update over the next few hours as they check in for updates.

Update received and all now resolved, player is once more paired correctly.

Thanks team at Kaleidescape (y)

I should start first by saying that kOS 10.7.0 is still in the very early stages of release, mostly to internal users, sales, and dealers at this time. It will continue to roll out over the next couple of weeks.

The most user-visible thing right now is that starting movie playback using the PLAY command from any OSD view will present a dialog prompting the customer to choose to resume playback or to start from the beginning. This scenario was previously handled by displaying a wedge with similar options, but that could be missed in certain customer installations that require lengthy display mode changes. This also gives you a way to more cleanly start a movie from the beginning, rather than having it jump to the paused location first. The default option in the dialog is to resume from the paused location, and you can just hit the Play button again (or OK) to choose that option. This feature will also apply on Premiere/Co-Star, although that kOS release to external parties has not yet begun.

Second, on Alto and Strato, we've done some work on better integrating movie details pages when you have multiple different versions of a movie on your system. Previously, things like extras might be broken up into groups, showing what was on the HD download, what was on the SD download, etc. Now they are all shown together. The "Other Versions" item, which used to be there to let you get to the details pages of those other versions, has been replaced with a "Play Other Version" menu under the More Options menu, since playing a different version was the main motivation for having access to the other details pages.

Somewhat more subtle is that pause bookmarks now span versions. The pause bookmark was previously bound to a single quality. kOS 10.7.0 maintains a single pause bookmark for all qualities of a movie. Note that in systems with a Strato and an Alto, a paused bookmark created for a 4K UHD/HDR movie will not be visible on the Alto. This feature does not apply to Co-Star content, because the pause bookmarks for content on the Premiere system is stored on the Premiere.

There are many other under-the-hood changes and bug fixes as well, but those are the user-visible highlights.

Thanks for the explanation of the changes, Mike. Without your update, I would have thought my titles with multiple versions loaded had disappeared. Now I know to Check the “More Option” for theses. It still won’t show HD versions that I have downloaded to both my Encore and Premiere systems bit tha not a big issue.

I like the that it now lists all the Extras that are available even if the version that contains them has not been download. Also, nice easy way to then download these if you see something that you would like to see. It shows A download icon by each feature but I assume these can’t be downloaded individually but the entire version will be downloaded.

Anyway, nice job on this new release! It has some nice additions!

ETA: Also, the 4K HDR collection has gone away but not a problem for me as I have noted in a different thread.

John

Playback is a bit faster it seems with this update (or control feedback from the system is delayed). I now have more of a delay for my control system to adjust the picture, lower masking, etc. I will reduce the delay! SJ

Back