• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Latest KoS Version & Changelog?

You were each experiencing different symptoms caused by the same issue. In this case, contrary to all indications that would lead one to suspect network or hard disk problems, the issue was actually a memory overflow.

@JohnJ: If you are so inclined, would you PM me the serial number of your server(s)? I spent a lot of time looking at the logs for a few of the servers that were falling victim to this bug. If yours is the one I'm thinking it is, we should have a quick chat.

I had this problem last summer. The server rebooted a couple of times while I was watching a movie late at night. Support said it was probably the power supply going bad. The problem has not re-occurred since then.

Interesting. I was experiencing this same issue. I actually got to the point that my server would continuously reboot due to heavy processing load. I had emptied the trash and was importing and downloading at the same time. It would boot up and resume activity for a few minutes and then reboot again.

Support thought it was the power supply at first, but I did some troubleshooting on my own and decided it was probably performance related. That’s when I updated CPU/RAM in my server and the problem went away. I’m glad that the issue was found and fixed.

The system checks in with the head end to see if there is a software upgrade available every time it boots. Even without rebooting, a system should detect, download, and apply a software update after about 4 hours of idle time.

What version of kOS is running on your system now? The GA release of kOS is still 10.5.2-19692 (Encore) or 8.4.3-19405 (Premiere) for most systems. kOS rollouts are done in stages and the 10.6.x rollout has not been completed yet (and has been halted a couple of times due to the discovery of some last minute bugs that required fixing).

Any update on 10.6?

I'm really looking for reasons to enjoy my system. Some news, some new features, it's been silent for some time now this year having come into the year with a lot of hope for things to come.

Any update on 10.6?

I'm really looking for reasons to enjoy my system............

What's keeping you from enjoying it now?

Jim

I inquired about this also a couple of weeks ago, and I guess I'm on the bottom of the update list also.

What's keeping you from enjoying it now?

Jim

Really, just the main things affecting a lot of folks right now.

I can't bring myself to buy new content in the store @ crazy prices of $36.99 for some movies without portable digital rights (MA). So I'm finding myself buying discs again and rebuilding a DIY local media server setup. I wanted to K to get me out of that and keep me out.

There hasn't been concrete motion on getting the lacking studios immersive audio. Meanwhile, the Fast/Furious 8 disc UHD collection has DTS:X on every movie, for example.

I like to see regular addition of new content/studios. MGM has been rumored for a while, but not appeared. Meanwhile all the Bonds are 4k on iTunes and some of those are going to get discs this year as well.

Agreed. The lack of activity has been disappointing. Policy or not - the lack of communication is also disappointing. I too am concerned about the impact to Kaleidescape of no longer having UV while not having MA. I wish them all the best and really enjoy my system, but I also want to see them doing more to build our confidence in their continued relevance and viability.

K doesn't control when they join MA, that's up to MA, so not much they can do but follow the process.

They add immersive audio when it's made available, so not sure how anyone can say they aren't doing anything to make that happen. Once again, this is to a large extent out of their control.

Can't speak to MGM, not sure why that studio is taking this long, but other content gets added regularly.

Sorry to hear those items keep you from enjoying your system, hopefully some of these things will resolve in the coming months.

Jim

K doesn't control when they join MA, that's up to MA, so not much they can do but follow the process.

They add immersive audio when it's made available, so not sure how anyone can say they aren't doing anything to make that happen. Once again, this is to a large extent out of their control.

Can't speak to MGM, not sure why that studio is taking this long, but other content gets added regularly.

Sorry to hear those items keep you from enjoying your system, hopefully some of these things will resolve in the coming months.

Jim

There a lot of negative comment about K and the users I think they are right take the full advantage of the content like MA (for me it’s not interest) and the most is the full immersive audio from studio (fox and universal) as I read in avs about alita it will not come with immersive audio and I hope it come and K find the right bath and I have fully confidence that this year we will hear a good announcement from K about new thing will come aboard ( so hungry for this announcement)

Did I enjoy K ... I enjoy a-lot and never think to go back hope the good news arrive soon and all the owners deserve that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, the immersive audio issue is an important one.

Jim

Mine was a 3U system that would periodically reboot while I was watching a movie. When I notified K they were already working on a fix. Hopefully, this update fixes it. So far no issues.....

John

It has been 2 weeks since the kOS update to fix my 3U re-booting issue and not a single problem since.

Thank you K!

John

New kOS 10.6.2-20162 for the Encore systems. Any fixes worth highlighting?

Last edited:
New kOS 10.6.2-20162 for the Encore systems. Any fixes worth highlighting?

This fixed a problem I was having when powering down my Terra server (and not powering down my Strato 10TB) of losing custom marked scenes from my Server. This release fixed this.

I have to say K support is the best!

John

TrackZ - What’s the new movie wall settings you’re referring to - I missed that

Thanks

Latest KoS Version & Changelog?

TrackZ - What’s the new movie wall settings you’re referring to - I missed that

Thanks

In an earlier post, I recall one of the K folks saying you basically lock the wall and turn off the auto shuffle. I assume that means the wall will display in alphabetical order.

Still no 10.6 for me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back