• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Latest James Bond Movie thoughts .

jbm007

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Just curious, anybody out there that was disappointed with the latest James Bond Movie release from K?

Main dialog was muted and hard to understand at times, many scenes appeared out of focus.

Some of the bullet exchanges, explosion scenes audio appeared to lack movement and depth.

We use a Trinnov system with perf screen and full array of speaker behind the screen.

We were using a Strato player.

WE are not sure if it was an issue with K release or something else.

We were not impressed at all. Certainly not worth paying the premium purchase fee.

Thoughts?

Interesting, I'll have to watch this again. I did buy and download it, but also rented it when released and have only seen that "rental" version. I did not experience any of the issues you noted on the rented movie.

Jim

Jim

I went back and listened to certain segments of the movie.

I confirmed my initial impressions.

The only thing I changed my mind on was the dynamics of the explosion.

This is a ATMOS audio track, and I did not hear any helicopter blade movement when they were looking for Bond. The backgrounds scenery was what I was noticing being out of focus and lacking detail. That could be the way it was filmed. I don't know.
The overall picture sharpness' was there, but the backgrounds just looked smeared and lacking detail.

WE were viewing this movie on a 12 foot microperf G2 Stweart Screen, 26 speakers controlled by a Triinnov 16. with a full ATMOS ceiling speaker array.

Projector was a known 60K projector.

I could live with the lack of visual detail, but the main center channel audio track was just unacceptable.

We have a lot of K downloads and this by far was the first disappointing experience we have ever had from a K download.

I doubt K has a different Atmos mix than the disc. The mix is mostly 7.1 with a few minutes of heights thrown in. I checked a couple of scenes with my Alt16. It still sounded pretty good though.

What’s the setup? 26 speakers with an Alt16? I haven’t watched yet, but will pay attention. Just watched Specter to get ready! I have a separate center channel target curve for my Alt32 to enhance dialog frequencies when needed. May kick that in… SJ

Jim

I went back and listened to certain segments of the movie.

I confirmed my initial impressions.

The only thing I changed my mind on was the dynamics of the explosion.

This is a ATMOS audio track, and I did not hear any helicopter blade movement when they were looking for Bond. The backgrounds scenery was what I was noticing being out of focus and lacking detail. That could be the way it was filmed. I don't know.
The overall picture sharpness' was there, but the backgrounds just looked smeared and lacking detail.

WE were viewing this movie on a 12 foot microperf G2 Stweart Screen, 26 speakers controlled by a Triinnov 16. with a full ATMOS ceiling speaker array.

Projector was a known 60K projector.

I could live with the lack of visual detail, but the main center channel audio track was just unacceptable.

We have a lot of K downloads and this by far was the first disappointing experience we have ever had from a K download.
I have a similar setup (but less speakers), and not using that cheap unnamed crappy $60K PJ 🤣, but just got back from a couple of days at Legoland, so I plan to check out the download today. (I recently added the GTZ380, but haven't fully calibrated it yet, been busy with my kids!)

Jim

I am jealous. GTZ?? let me know what you think.

Maybe my wife will buy it for me for Christmas.

2- 18" subs front on floor

6 in the wall ported 12" subs

2 full range front heights L and R

6 - 8" ceiling speakers

L R C SL SR RL RR

3 floor rumble seat speakers

Everything is CAT Audio except for the ceiling and under seat speakers

Also, everything is powered by CAT MBL amps.

CAT is incredible, I've always liked their gear, and I've never heard a bad CAT system, always impressive, so certainly no sound limitations in your setup!

Regarding the 380, I really didn't think I'd see much improvement over the 5000 I had been using, so wasn't expecting much, but I have to admit, that extra light, among other changes, does contribute to an overall improved image (HDR and 3D in particular). That said, I could have easily lived with the 5000 in my theater, I was more than satisfied with its performance. Being a Sony dealer I admit to feeling a little pressure to move to the 380, as I prefer to have hands on experience with the products we offer.

Jim

I am jealous. GTZ?? let me know what you think.

Maybe my wife will buy it for me for Christmas.

2- 18" subs front on floor

6 in the wall ported 12" subs

2 full range front heights L and R

6 - 8" ceiling speakers

L R C SL SR RL RR

3 floor rumble seat speakers

Everything is CAT Audio except for the ceiling and under seat speakers

Also, everything is powered by CAT MBL amps.
You have a good 12 days of Christmas song in the making… :D

Just curious, anybody out there that was disappointed with the latest James Bond Movie release from K?

Main dialog was muted and hard to understand at times, many scenes appeared out of focus.

Some of the bullet exchanges, explosion scenes audio appeared to lack movement and depth.

We use a Trinnov system with perf screen and full array of speaker behind the screen.

We were not impressed at all. Certainly not worth paying the premium purchase fee.

Thoughts?
I thought the sound/audio was awesome... throughout the movie - especially the fight in CUBA - when they talk through their headphones - was a brand new experience of ATMOS use...

Thoughts?

For sure I noticed the same problem with out of focus video....

Mike

Certainly not the best picture and sound especially compared to Spectre, perhaps improvements will follow if there are updates.

I want to be more specific on the audio dialog track.

50% of the dialog was able to be heard, but not properly balanced in relation to the sound level of the entire output level.

I felt that the remining dialog was too low and at times indistinct in clarity.

This system is brutally critical in revealing things like that.

Center channel dialog in this system has actually been boosted by about 5% because of hearing issues from people that come and demo products.

Nope

All speakers were checked prior to installing the new G 2 screen and system was completely recalibrated.

Quick question from me - I watched it on our 6m x 3m (roughly) screen and saw the very occasional tiny white spec at random places in the film. I would say never the same place twice. Could that be the film transfer or should I be looking for something else in the optical path? Projector is a new Barco Freya+ coming from a Strato player + trinnov for sound.

Ta
Chris

My first thought when people mention White dots when using a DLP projectors is hot pixels (some call it Starlight effect), but given the "random places" and "new Barco" comments, not sure that applies here. Could be video noise, usually related to compression or processing issues, could be anywhere in the chain. You'd have to use the usual method of swapping things out, removing something from the chain, trying new content, etc, to figure out the cause (assuming it can be found).

There are people posting here that know a lot more than I do about this subject, so hopefully they'll post as well.

Jim

Quick question from me - I watched it on our 6m x 3m (roughly) screen and saw the very occasional tiny white spec at random places in the film. I would say never the same place twice. Could that be the film transfer or should I be looking for something else in the optical path? Projector is a new Barco Freya+ coming from a Strato player + trinnov for sound.

Ta
Chris

Hey Chris… it may not be your issue at all, but one cause of white specs (or pixels) can be an HDMI cable that is close to “going over the edge”.

In most cases, a cable either works or it doesn’t. However, there are fringe cases where the cable may be adequate (and look perfect) nearly all the time, but an influx in data (e.g., transition between scenes, complex video and/or audio moments) can push it a little over the edge causing some bits of data to flip from 0’s to 1’s (or vice versa). When this happens, it is not unusual to see white specs/pixels, although it is most noticeable in darker scenes.

Before you do anything, I’d check for the issue in other movies. If you see it with multiple titles, then you are potentially looking at an issue with the HDMI cable/path. If it is isolated to this one title, there may be an issue with that movie and you may want to delete and re-download it before spending too much time swapping cables, etc.

Good luck
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back