• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

KSERVER6000 not responding to Serial and Ethernet

kscapeaustria

Hello Kaleidescape forum!

I have recently purchased a used KSERVER6000 but apparently it's been set to use a static IP address. So I came across this forum to find the two methods to access the server and reset it to DHCP: via a temporary local-link address and via the serial connector. After failing on the local-link method, I purchased a crossover serial cable, hooked it up, and found it not reacting to any commands. Now I am desperate since I've run out of ideas what to do. What worries me the most, though, is that when I connect it to a router, neither the network LED on the router nor the one on the server lights up. The front of the server, however, glows blue whenever it's powered on, even if it's not connected to anything. Do you think it's a hardware problem?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Sebastian Kovats

Even set to a entirely different sub-net, the lights on the router should light up when plugged in. There's a small chance your router does not auto configure the port for a crossover cable, so make sure it's a straight ethernet cable to verify.

Assuming your serial cable and port settings are correct, you should see some info coming across at boot. I do not think you can change the server baud rate from 115,200, but just in case check all common baud rates.

I've had a G1 Cinema one exhibit the same issues and had to send it in for repair. Blue lights but no network or serial. It could be a power supply issue, but if there's a chance you can return it that may be the best route to take.

Kevin D.

Are you sure that you are following the instructions in the Kaleidescape knowledge base, using a wired connection and configuring you ip address on your pc as shown in the article as it has always worked for me when I have bought secondhand servers that are not set to dhcp?

From the Kaleidescape knowledge base se the article below.

[K000037] If my server has an unknown static IP address, how do I connect to it using a link local address?

Or you could try also from the knowledgebase

[K000019] My Kaleidescape component is not showing up on the network

To display a list of all the Kaleidescape components connected to the same Ethernet switch or set of interconnected switches, even if the network addresses of the components are on different subnets, try browsing to:
http://my-kaleidescape/lskd.html on a PC, replacing my-kaleidescape with the 12 digit serial number of your server
http://my-kaleidescape.local/lskd.html on a Mac, or a PC running iTunes,
or if those methods fail, http://xxx.www.yyy.zzz/lskd.html on a PC, or Mac, where xxx.www.yyy.zzz is the IP address of any Kaleidescape component on the network.
This page should assist during troubleshooting, and also includes other useful information such as the serial numbers, kOS versions, and control protocol device IDs of each component.

Last edited:
Adding to my previous post the best way is to use the known ip address of one of your Kaleidescape devices as per below as this will show all your Kaleidescape components on the network, even those that are miss-configured / configured for a different network as long as they are powered up and physically all connected on the same LAN where you and your systems are attached.

http://xxx.www.yyy.zzz/lskd.html on a PC, or Mac, where xxx.www.yyy.zzz is the IP address of any Kaleidescape component on the network.

To demonstrate I miss-configured one of my devices and then used a known address to list all the components so I could find the device and correct the address as shown in the attached jpeg file.

If this fails then you either have a LAN problem in which case I am sure other devices on your LAN would fail or the server is failing.

PS. You said the blue light on the server fascia was on but are all the disks except 1 showing a solid blue light - one should flash as this is the 'hot spare' on a 3U server? If so it would appear your problem is on your network.

Hope that helps a little

Attachments

• Ksystem.jpg
    Ksystem.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 17
Thanks everyone for their help, I really appreciate it.

To cover your questions: I followed both support articles to a T.
Anyway, I just checked if the hard drives light up when the server is powered up and in fact, none of them does. Just the front lid glows permanently. So I guess it's a hardware defect... I will get in touch with a dealer to have it repaired by Kaleidescape.
I will keep you updated!

Different problem: I also got some 1080p players (set to a static IP), which I can connect to via serial but whenever I send the GET_NETWORK_SETTINGS: command via putty it returns "Device is in standby". I then send LEAVE_STANDBY:, to which the player doesn't respond in the console. Upon trying to send GET_NETWORK_SETTINGS: again, it still says it's in standby. Any suggestions?

KPlayer 5000, with serial terminal connection. Will not leave standby... I have determined its (static) IP address through WireShark (192.168.1.157), and can telnet to port 10000 as well, but get the same results below. Seems like the network layer of the OS is up and running, but the rest of it isn't:

Code:
01/1/GET_NETWORK_SETTINGS:
01/1/020:Device is in standby:/29
01/1/LEAVE_STANDBY:
01/1/GET_NETWORK_SETTINGS:
01/1/020:Device is in standby:/29
01/1/GET_DEVICE_POWER_STATE:
01/1/000:DEVICE_POWER_STATE:0:0:/63

Last edited by a moderator:
Back