• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

KServer 5000 Disks not powering

flitebynite

Hello all,
I recently purchased a KServer 5000 (3U) from Ebay.
To my surprise, (because it was advertised as functional) the Server powers on but the Disk set does not.
The Disks do not seem to spin up at all and I get no Amber or Blue lights on the disks themselves.
The power button remains blue. As does the front Door.
I can not see it in the Browser interface. I believe this is because Server doesn't fully boot up because the Disks / Software don't become active.
I removed and replaced the Power supply with a new service kit I bought from K recently and this had no affect.
I also removed the entire disk set and put them in another K5000 and they booted up just fine. All blue lights came on with a flashing blue for the hot spare.
Does anyone have any ideas of what else it might be?
I'm planning on calling tech support tomorrow when they open, but I'm not sure they will be able to access it because it won't fully boot up. At least that's my assumption.
And for those of you wondering, the seller listed it as is and no returns, so I think I'm stuck with it as is.
Buyer beware I guess.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

Despite buyers listing items as no returns, eBay corporate had a “no hassle” style purchasing policy. You can still push the issue through the eBay interface and basically state the item didn’t come in as described. The seller will have to reply/respond to you and attempt to rectify the situation by either taking it back or offering some sort of monetary compensation.

It is likely a faulty backplane since you say the disk set boots in another 3U chassis.

I did some more troubleshooting robbing parts from my working K5000 and the culprit has been identified.
The R.A.M. Card is faulty!
Thanks for the help everyone!.
Now I just need to find a new card.
Does anyone know if this is just standard RAM or is it something special to K?
I'm going to do a google search and see if I see anything.

Chris

I remember someone with a very large system adding another of the shelf stick and noticed some improvement, so I'm pretty sure it's standard.

They are standard, however, the server is particular with certain sticks over others. I tried replacing mine with a different brand’s sticks with the same specs and it would not boot up. I may have some extra OEM stick(s) I can sell. Send me a PM if you’re interested and I can check my stash.

I got a message from Jim (Cinelife) that it was in fact off the shelf RAM and I also talked to Rusty at tech services who confirmed that fact.
thanks XX & Alien for your messages.

Back