• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

KSERVER-1500 Issue

ddetton

I have owned a KSERVER-1500, M500 and KPlayer for close to 15 years. I have replaced several drives over the years. The penultimate replacement took a while for the replacement drive to rebuild because I kept getting these strange errors during the rebuild where I had to keep restarting the system. Eventually, it did fully rebuild the file system on the replacement drive. This most recent replacement did pretty much the same thing. It would get a little ways into the rebuild then it would throw an error and I would need to restart. It always picked up where it left off. The only reason I know that it threw an error is because I setup serial logging so I could see the errors in the log. When I got to 50% complete rebuilding the most recent, I kept getting errors pretty quickly and I didn't think it would ever complete. Then it went from 51% to 100% in about 8 hours. But after that, I still keep getting errors that result in the web interface going offline and the disc players not being able to connect to the server.

I spoke with Kaleidescape support about this and Rusty recommended that I remove drive 4 from my system because it was throwing a lot of errors. It was about 9 years old and only a 2tb drive so I removed it. Now I have 3 x 6tb drives that are all under warranty. The system will boot and stay up for a short while then it will start throwing errors. Rusty has forwarded the case to KScape engineering but I have not heard back from them yet. I suspect it is something on the motherboard that is failing which is bad because kscape does not repair these any more. I'm putting this out here to see if there is anyone here that experienced this before and/or knows how to fix it. Here is an excerpt from the log that starts with a successful boot. Thanks!

chipset_dev_vendor 0x25908086, lpc_dev_vendor 0x26418086
Product id: 1U Server (0x0103)
Video Server started. Version: 8.9.0-23341
Serial number: 0000000073B2
Video Server boot flash version: 10
HTTP Proxy Server:
IP Address : 192.168.101.80
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Broadcast Address: 192.168.101.255
Default Gateway : 192.168.101.1
DNS Server #1 : 8.8.8.8
DNS Server #2 : 4.2.2.2

ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ad1: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ad0: ad_error_handler: timeout error, retrying
ad1: ad_error_handler: timeout error, retrying
ata0: ata_reinit: resetting devices ..
ata1: ata_reinit: resetting devices ..
ad0: ata_wait_for_interrupt_completion: timeout waiting for intr
ad1: ata_wait_for_interrupt_completion: timeout waiting for intr
ad2: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ad2: ad_error_handler: timeout error, retrying
ata2: ata_reinit: resetting devices ..
ad0: enabling readahead cache failed
ad1: enabling readahead cache failed
ad2: ata_wait_for_interrupt_completion: timeout waiting for intr
ad0: enabling write cache failed
ad1: enabling write cache failed
ad2: enabling readahead cache failed
ad2: enabling write cache failed
ata0: ata_reinit: done
ata1: ata_reinit: done

Lots of disk waits and as you say system board issue looks likely. It could also be the power supply that is failing as I had a 1U that would stay up for a while and then fall over with what looked like a similar set of errors - it was a couple of years ago, it also had a drive throwing out lots of errors. Since replacing the power supply and drive the server has worked without issue.

Ah, the power supply. Mine has been replaced once about ten years ago. That’s an easy win. I’m no worse off if it does not solve the problem. I’m waiting on replacing drive 4 until I see the system stabilize. Thanks for the idea! Much appeciated.

Back