• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kscape System Specs

DigitalStudioWerks

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Since I have seen a few request for system specs when people are selling their systems, especially systems that are no longer manufactured by Kaleidescape, I have decided to post the specs and links to the original Kaleidescape product PDF's.

Kaleidescape system specs are listed from current product line to past product line. Mini Systems first, then Servers , Movie Players, Music Players, Loaders and finally KEAOS Updates. The links are to the original Kaleidescape Product PDF's.

Last Updated - October 7, 2010.
Added The Following - Discontinuation of KPLAYER-300 (1080p Mini Player) as of October 21, 2010

Kaleidescape's Poorly Authored DVD List
Poorly Authored DVD List - This is a list maintained by Kaleidescape that lists poorly Authored DVD's​

Kaleidescape Remote Control
Kaleidescape Remote Control - Kaleidescape Remote Control:
Introduced: July '09

A backlit IR remote to control your Kaleidescape System.

Specs: Unavailable at this time. Will be posted when they become available.

Mini Systems
KSYSTEM-120 - Kaleidescape Mini System:
Introduced: March '09

"The base Mini System holds up to 75 DVDs or 825 CDs – the perfect "starter" System. As your needs grow, so does your Kaleidescape System. Expand to more rooms in your home by adding Players. Add more storage by adding Disk Cartridges or Servers. Or, add a Mini System to increase both! The base Mini System comes with 2 500GB disk drives and is expandable to a maximum of 4 500GB disk drives."

Specs:

• Remote Control - Backlit IR remote control
  • Storage Capacity - RAID-K data protection Mini Disk Cartridge required, Each additional 500 GB Mini Disk Cartridge stores 75 DVDs or 825 CDs, Expandable to 4 Mini Disk Cartridges for a maximum of 1.5 terabytes (225 DVDs or 2,500 CDs), Multiple Mini Systems and Servers can be clustered seamlessly to provide storage for thousands of DVDs and CDs
  • Bandwidth Capacity - 15 simultaneous independent video or audio zones, 4 simultaneous DVD or CD imports
  • Video Processing - Sigma Designs™ (Gennum™) VXP® video processor chip, Content-aware video processing 10-bit 4:4:4 color processing, Motion adaptive deinterlacing and reverse 3:2/2:2 pulldown, Selectable level of detail enhancement, Option to automatically detect and stretch 4:3 format movies, Option to automatically detect and zoom letterboxed 4:3 format movies.
  • Video Output - HDMI v1.3, Component YPbPr (RCA), S-Video, Composite (RCA)
  • Video Formats - High-definition 720p, 1080i and 1080p at 50Hz and 60Hz, NTSC 480i, 480p, PAL 576i, 576p, Best resolution selected automatically through HDMI
  • Disk Media - CD Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DualDisc
  • Control Connections - 100/1000Base-T Ethernet (RJ45), RS-232 (DB-9 male), Front-facing IR receiver, Rear IR input (1/8" mini jack)
  • Audio Out Zone 1 - HDMI, Digital coaxial (RCA), Digital optical (TosLink), Analog stereo (RCA)
  • Audio Out Zone 2 & 3 - Analog stereo (RCA)
  • Audio Output Formats - Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG Audio, PCM
NOTES: First Kaleidescape system to include a remote control.

Servers

KSERVER-5000 - 3U SERVER

• 3 2TB Disks Min., 14 2TB Disks MAX.
    NOTES: The 3U server can still use the 1TB Kaleidescape disk drives.

KSERVER-1500 - 1U Server

• 2 2TB Disks Min., 4 1TB Disks Max.
    NOTES: The 1U server can still use the 1TB Kaleidescape disk drives.

KSERVER-2500 - 5U Server. DISCONTINUED

• 12 750GB Disks Max.
  • Replaced by the 3U Server above.

Movie Players

KPLAYER-M500 - Blu-Ray player.
Introduced in May 2010.​

Changes from KPLAYER-6000:
Added: Now includes backlit remote, Blu-Ray Support including BD Live, 1080P/24, Gigabit Ethernet, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio with bitstream pass-through.

Specs:
  • Video Outputs - HDMI, Component YPbPr (BNC), Composite (BNC), S-Video
  • Video Output Formats - High-definition 720p, 1080i and 1080p at 24Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz, NTSC 480i, 480p, PAL 576i, 576p, Best resolution selected automatically through HDMI
  • Disc Media - CD Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DualDisc, Blu-Ray
  • Audio Outputs - HDMI, Digital optical (TosLink), Digital coaxial (BNC), Analog stereo (RCA)
  • Audio Output Formats - Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG Audio, PCM
  • Buttons - Power, Eject Disc, Play Disc, Import Disc
  • Control Connections - Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45), Front-facing IR receiver, Rear IR input (1/8" mini jack)
NOTES: Blu-Ray playback requires the physical Blu-Ray DVD to be in the M500 players DVD tray. Region code can no longer be changed by user (KPLAYER-M500A Region A & KPLAYER-M500B Region Code B).​

KPLAYER-M300 (Mini Player) - Blu-Ray player.
Introduced in May 2010.​

Changes from KPLAYER-300:
Added: Includes backlit remote, Blu-Ray Support including BD Live, 1080P/24, Gigabit Ethernet, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio with bitstream pass-through.

Specs:
  • Video Outputs - HDMI, Component YPbPr (BNC), Composite (BNC), S-Video
  • Video Output Formats - High-definition 720p, 1080i and 1080p at 24Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz, NTSC 480i, 480p, PAL 576i, 576p, Best resolution selected automatically through HDMI
  • Disc Media - CD Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DualDisc, Blu-Ray
  • Audio Outputs - HDMI, Digital optical (TosLink), Digital coaxial (BNC), Analog stereo (RCA)
  • Audio Output Formats - Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG Audio, PCM
  • Control Connections - Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45), Front-facing IR receiver, Rear IR input (1/8" mini jack)
NOTES: Since the M300 mini player does not have a CD/DVD tray at least one M500 is required to playback Blu-Ray content and the physical Blu-Ray DVD must be in the M500 players DVD tray. Region code can no longer be changed by user (KPLAYER-M500A Region A & KPLAYER-M500B Region Code B).​

KPLAYER-6000 - 1080p Movie Player.
Introduced in June '08.

Changes from KPLAYER-5000:
Added: The Sigma Designs™ (Gennum™) VXP® video processor chip, HDMI v1.3, 1080p Output, Front Panel Disc Import Button
Specs:

• Video Processing - Sigma Designs™ (Gennum™) VXP® video processor chip, Content-aware video processing, 10-bit 4:4:4 color processing, Motion adaptive deinterlacing and reverse 3:2/2:2 pulldown, Selectable level of detail enhancement, Option to automatically detect and stretch 4:3 format movies, Option to automatically detect and zoom letterboxed 4:3 format movies
  • Video Outputs - HDMI v1.3, Component YPbPr (BNC), Composite (BNC), S-Video
  • Video Output Formats - High-definition 720p, 1080i and 1080p at 50Hz and 60Hz, NTSC 480i, 480p, PAL 576i, 576p, Best resolution selected automatically through HDMI
  • Disc Media - CD Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DualDisc
  • Control Connections - 100Base-TX Ethernet (RJ45), Front-facing IR receiver, Rear IR input (1/8" mini jack)
NOTES: KEAOS v3.7 and above is required to play Dolby Digital and DTS multi-channel audio over the HDMI connection. In versions prior to KEAOS 3.7, only decoded two-channel Dolby Digital audio was sent over HDMI.​

KPLAYER-300 - 1080p Mini Player. DISCONTINUED As of October 21, 2010

Specs:

• Video Processing - Sigma Designs™ (Gennum™) VXP® video processor chip, Content-aware video processing, 10-bit 4:4:4 color processing, Motion adaptive deinterlacing and reverse 3:2/2:2 pulldown, Selectable level of detail enhancement, Option to automatically detect and stretch 4:3 format movies, Option to automatically detect and zoom letterboxed 4:3 format movies
  • Video Outputs - HDMI v1.3, Component YPbPr (BNC), Composite (BNC)
  • Video Output Formats - High-definition 720p, 1080i and 1080p at 50Hz and 60Hz, NTSC 480i, 480p, PAL 576i, 576p, Best resolution selected automatically through HDMI
  • Disc Media - None. The KPLAYER-300 does not have a CD/DVD player. See Notes Below.
  • Audio Outputs - HDMI, Digital coaxial (BNC), Analog stereo (RCA)
  • Control Connections - 100Base-TX Ethernet (RJ45), Front-facing IR receiver, Rear IR input (1/8" mini jack)
NOTES: KEAOS v3.7 and above is required to play Dolby Digital and DTS multi-channel audio over the HDMI connection. In versions prior to KEAOS 3.7, only decoded two-channel Dolby Digital audio was sent over HDMI. Kaleidescape website states that the KPLAYER-300 can read CD Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DualDisc. Obviously this is in error.​

KPLAYER-5000 - "Movie Player 2" DISCONTINUED.
Movie Player 2 replaced by the KPLAYER-6000, 1080p player above.

Added (vs. KPLAYER-2500): CD/DVD Drive to allow imports directly from the Movie Player
Specs:

• Video Out - HDMI, Component YPbPr (BNC), S-Video, Composite (BNC).
  • Video Formats - NTSC 480i/480p, PAL 576i/576p, HD 720p, 1080i @ 50 & 60 Hz. Progressive Scan using DCDi by Faroudja.
  • Audio Out - HDMI, Digital Coax (BNC) and Optical (TosLink), Analog Stereo (RCA).
  • Audio Formats - Dolby, DTS, MPEG Audio, PCM.
  • Disc Media - CD Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DualDisc
  • Connections - 100 Base-TX Ethernet, RS-232, IR-in 1/8" mini jack, IR Front Bezel Window.
NOTES: KEAOS v3.7 and above is required to play Dolby Digital and DTS multi-channel audio over the HDMI connection. In versions prior to KEAOS 3.7, only decoded two-channel Dolby Digital audio was sent over HDMI.​

KPLAYER-2500 - Kaleidescape Movie Player. DISCONTINUED
Movie Player replaced by the KPLAYER-5000, Movie Player 2, above. The Movie Player was a playback only device; it did not have the DVD tray for loading movies or direct-disc playback. The loading function was performed by the companion "Kaleidescape Reader" device.
Specs:

• Video Out - HDMI, Component YPbPr (BNC), S-Video, Composite (BNC).
  • Video Formats - NTSC 480i/480p, PAL 576i/576p, HD 720p, 1080i @ 50 & 60 Hz. Progressive Scan using DCDi by Faroudja.
  • Audio Out - HDMI, Digital Coax (BNC) and Optical (TosLink), Analog Stereo (RCA).
  • Audio Formats - Dolby, DTS, MPEG Audio, PCM.
  • Connections - 100 Base-TX Ethernet, RS-232, IR-in 1/8" mini jack, IR Front Bezel Window.
NOTES: KEAOS v3.7 and above is required to play Dolby Digital and DTS multi-channel audio over the HDMI connection. In versions prior to KEAOS 3.7, only decoded two-channel Dolby Digital audio was sent over HDMI.
KPLAYER-2000 - Kaleidescape Movie Player. DISCONTINUED.
No PDF Available.

Unverified
- The KPlayer 2000 had no DVD drive or HDMI, it had BNC connectors for Component Video. The player is capable of 1080i output but will output a max resolution of 480p for DVDs. Source - Kaleidescape Owners Forum Post
NOTES: I need to find the actual specs from Kaleidescape for the KPLAYER-2000. If anyone has a PDF for this player that would be VERY helpful.

Music Players
KMUSIC-4000 - 1U Kaleidescape Music Player.

Loaders
Consumer Loaders:
KREADER - Kaleidescape Reader - DISCONTINUED
Standalone device used to load CDs and DVDs. Typically sold with all Kaleidescape systems until the introduction of the Movie Player 2 which included this functionality.
Professional Loaders:
usually owned/used by dealers, though some end-users with large collections have purchased the professional loaders for private use
KSPEEDREADER - Kaleidescape Speed Reader
Kaleidescape Bulk Loader - DISCONTINUED.
Original Kaleidescape Bulk Loader. Was replaced by the KSPEEDREADER, Speed Reader, above.

KEAOS Updates
Current Version - V3.8 - Mar 10 - Added the Following.

• Temperature Analysis and Alerts - KEAOS 3.8 continually analyzes the temperatures of Kaleidescape components. If a component gets too hot or too cold, a warning appears on each display instructing the owner to schedule a service call, and an automatic email alert is sent to the dealer.
  • Optional Paused Bookmarks - When you stop a movie you can resume it at a later time in another room. This behavior is more desirable in a single-family home than in a yacht, hotel or other environment that caters to a large number of users. KEAOS 3.8 adds the configuration option to disable paused bookmarks.
V3.7 - Feb 09 - Added the Following.​

• Multi-channel Audio Over an HDMI™ Connection - Dolby Digital and DTS multi-channel audio can now be sent over an HDMI connection. In versions prior to KEAOS 3.7, only decoded two-channel Dolby Digital audio was sent, and DTS audio was not sent at all. KEAOS 3.7 will not change the behavior of existing Movie Players, but HDMI multi-channel audio can be enabled in the Installer Web Utility. New 1080p Movie Players will ship with HDMI multi-channel audio enabled.
  • Play Multiple Genres or Play Multiple Artists - When selecting music, you can now play multiple genres or play multiple artists. In versions prior to KEAOS 3.7, only a single genre or a single artist could be added to the Now Playing list.
  • Replication (beta) Replication enables you to copy content from a Server to a System. It is useful for moving content from a Server before retiring or replacing it, and for importing the same content to Systems belonging to a single owner.
V3.6 - June 08 - Added the Following.​

• 1080p Player and 1080p Mini Player Support - The 1080p Players require that the Kaleidescape System be running KEAOS 3.6 or later.
  • Pronto Controller Support - The Pronto controller requires that the Kaleidescape System be running KEAOS 3.6 or later.
  • Advanced DVD and CD Playback Features - The Kaleidescape Experience is now available for DVDs and CDs that have not been imported. The user may insert a disc into a 1080p Player or Movie Player 2 and enjoy details about the movie or album, including cover art, movie synopsis, album review, and track names. Selecting "Play Movie" on the OSD starts the movie instantly, without trailers and advertisements – even for rental movies!
  • Disable a Movie Player's Imports - In many situations, the ability to import DVD and CD content from a particular Movie Player is undesirable, such as when installed in a child's bedroom or in a guest stateroom on a yacht.
Notes: Kaleidescape also changed the color of the outline used for highlighting selections on the OSD. It was changed from the Blue outline back to Yellow.​

V3.5 - November '07 - Added the Following.​

• Synchronize Music to iTunes with Kaleidescape Conductor - Kaleidescape Conductor, a small Windows program, allows users to choose a collection of any or all of their Kaleidescape music content to enjoy on their PC in the iTunes music application program. The music is encoded in MP3 format suitable for download to an iPod or other digital portable music device. Conductor also transfers cover art, and converts Mix Albums to iTunes playlists. Changes made on the Kaleidescape System are automatically updated to iTunes on the user's PC.
  • Organize Music in User-defined Collections - Users may now create customized Music Collections. User-defined Music Collections may contain Albums, Mix Albums, Artists, Genres, or any combination thereof. Artists and Genres in a collection update dynamically when matching content is imported or deleted from the System. For example, upon importing a new Jazz album it will automatically be added to any user-defined collection that includes the Jazz genre.
  • User Interface Improvements for Classical Music - The user interface now organizes classical music by Composer and by Work which is much more appropriate and intuitive for those who appreciate the genre. The "Classical Composers" collection allows listeners to easily explore the various periods of classical music, while the "Classical Works" collection allows listeners to easily compare and contrast differing interpretations of classical works.
  • Relocate Subtitles for Better Viewing - Subtitles sometimes overlap with the black letterboxing above and below the movie image and may be obscured by screen masking systems. KEAOS 3.5 now relocates subtitles to ensure they are always visible. Subtitle relocation is enabled by default and configured on a per player basis in the "Screen Masking" tab of the Movie Player's "Video Settings" page, which is opened from the "Components" page of the Installer Web Utility.
  • Share Movie Scripts - Movie scripts can now be exported from one System and imported and enjoyed on another. If an exported script includes any favorite scenes, those scenes are exported automatically.
  • Improved HDMI Connection Stability - Losing HDMI synchronization no longer causes the remaining video outputs on the Movie Player to pause.
  • Additional RAID-K Reliability during Rebuilds - Kaleidescape RAID-K has been enhanced to provide even greater protection against losing content in the event of a disk drive failure.

Previous KEAOS Release Notes

As Kaleidescape introduces and retires products I will update this list. Also, if there are any errors or would like to see something I may have missed let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks James!

Jim

This is really great James. Wondering if you want to add Music Player details? And to be complete the list should probably show the K-Reader.

One other omission - the list is missing the Kplayer-2000.

Would be great to add a few specs/feature changes between each unit... maybe reverse the order so you can show what was ADDED or changed to each successive unit, like the fact that the kplayer 2500 added HDMI and 1Gbit ethernet NIC to what the 2000 had, the Kplayer-5000 added the DVD tray and Faroudja upscaling chip (not sure about that last item actually), and the Kplayer-6000 added 1080p output (and different chipset??). I realize that you've linked to the full spec sheets, which is great, but might help people even more if there was a short list of the major changes between model numbers.

Thanks for taking the initiative on this!

Made a few updates.
1) Added system spec's to the to the KPLAYER-2500 and KPLAYER-5000. I will be adding all the specs to all Kaleidescape hardware over time.

2) Added the KEAOS versions (3.7, 3.6 & 3.5) and what was added or changed.

If there is anything I missed or you see an error let me know and I will correct it.

Great additions James!

I think you're still missing the K-Player 2000, which was the first Movie Player.
(oh, and now the new Kaleidescape Mini System!)

Update.
1) Added The Kaleidescape Mini System

2) Listed the KPLAYER-2000. NOTE: I need to find information on the KPLAYER-2000. I do not have any information on this player. If anyone has a PDF for this player that would be VERY helpful.

I don't know ALL the specs on the kplayer2000 but know that it didn't have HDMI. That's one change that came with the 2500.

You may want to add the "Kaleidescape Reader" (now discontinued) in your section for the loaders

You may want to add the "Kaleidescape Reader" (now discontinued) in your section for the loaders
As far as I am aware there have only been 2. The original Bulk Loader which was discontinued and now the KSPEEDREADER. I have never heard of the "Kaleidescape Reader".

ERROR - Now I remember the "Kaleidescape Reader". Josh is correct, There was a Kaleidescape Reader.

Last edited:
Update
Added System Details On The KPLAYER-6000 (1080p Player)
Added System Details On The KPLAYER-300 (Mini Player)
Added information on the KPLAYER-2000. This was given to my by Josh. I need to get the actual specs from Kaleidescape

As far as I am aware there have only been 2. The original Bulk Loader which was discontinued and now the KSPEEDREADER. I have never heard of the "Kaleidescape Reader".
The K-Reader was the very common 1U consumer disc loading device. It was sold with every system before the Movie Player 2 came out that had an integrated disc tray. There are still a lot of them out there, and many users, me included, really like them as an extra way to load discs maybe in the equipment room or headend.

Last edited:
Added information on the KPLAYER-2000. This was given to my by Josh. I need to get the actual specs from Kaleidescape
Can't find the specs anywhere, so maybe someone can ask K? According to this post at Kaleidescape's offical FAQ, there's another difference between the Kplayer2000 and later models... the later models allowed IRE settings of +7.5 or 0 (blacker than black) but Kplayer2000 didn't. They don't talk more about the Kplayer 2000 in the FAQ however. (But it's now clear there was also a model K-Player 2000E as well as a K-Player 2000).

Last Updated - March 20, 2009.
Added PDF Download On The KSYSTEM-120 (Mini System)
Added System Notes To The KSYSTEM-120 (Mini System)

As far back as I can track the info I downloaded from Kaleidescape, there was no downloadable PDF for the original movie player. I do have this PDF from early 2004 that provides the specifications for the components as of that time, which includes the specs for the original movie player and the reader.

The file is too large for uploading, so I broke it up into 3 parts. I'm not sure if this is the Kplayer-2000 or the Kplayer-2000E.

If anyone wants the original 8 page overview from March 2004, I can email it to you.

Jay

Attachments

• Kaleidescape-Overview_p1.pdf
    238.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Kaleidescape-Overview_p2.pdf
    135.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Kaleidescape-Overview_p3.pdf
    81.5 KB · Views: 19
Thanks James!

Made the following update.
Changed the disk size from 1TB to 2TB on the 1U and 3U server to reflect the new disk size Kaleidescape is providing.

Back