• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kscape Potential New User

88hk

Hi all, its been about 3 years since I've been on the boards. I never bought the Kscape back then due to the lack of titles and UHD titles together with being spooked by the almost shutdown.. I noticed recently that this seems to have changed quite dramatically and the Kaleidescape store now seems to have more UHD titles than there are discs. This would be a game changer for me. I would be really appreciative if someone could outline the current limitations of Kaleidescape, as this information always seems difficult to get from the UK dealers whom I guess don't sell many of them so don't know alot. I've listed a few that were problematic before:

1. Lack of UHD titles - seems to have been resolved, and seems to be more choice than discs, and released earlier.

2. Lack of Atmos on UHD titles - I presume this has been resolved. Are all uncompressed sounds and HDR formats well supported now?

3. Access to studios - the list now looks to be excellent, are there any significant studios missing?

4. I understand 3D is not available, and unlikely to ever be available.

5. With UV having died, my digital collection is mostly on Google, is there anyway to move/share this over to Kscape? Also same question for movies bought on Amazon. Similarly, if I buy a movie on Kscape can I play it on an ipad elsewhere or port it to Google? (this gives me adaptability to watch when on the road, and some protection if something happens to the company)

6. UK Kscape store used to be terrible, so if in the UK, you needed to access the US store. Is this still the case, and is it still straightforward (US credit card/paypal)?

7. I have a large disc collection - standard blu-ray and UHD. I think previously I would have to buy a bluray vault and load the discs, and the vault didn't support UHD which seemed a bit of a waste of time buying a piece of old-tech. Is there now a convenient way to get this collection onto Kscape?

8. Are there any other limitations that I should be aware of.

I am considering the Strato C with a Terra server (US$35,000 in the UK), which would be used with a 145 inch screen with Sony laser projector.

Thank you for having the patience to read through this.

1. Lots of titles, yes, and many more than disc.
2. Fox and NBCU had been lacking immersive audio codecs. Both studios now have immersive audio in Kaleidescape for recent and new titles since several months ago. Fox catalog titles have been getting steady updates. NBCU titles less so on catalog, but it should come too in time.
3. Criterion seems to be a big content holder that would be desired. All major studios are now there in mass (Fox, Disney, Lionsgate, Paramount, NBCU, Sony, Paramount, Warner). MGM is there now. Smaller and niche studios are being added. All in all the content expansion is excellent and ongoing.
4. I would write 3D off at this point industry-wide.
5. There is no mechanism to digitally transfer content rights into or out of Kaleidescape at this time from other store fronts or lockers.
6. I don't know the content state of the UK store vs. the US store. My comments are all from the US store perspective.
7. Disc-to-digital is supported and now extremely well priced; however, it requires an older device (like an Alto) to load the discs and redeem into digital offers in your account. Some dealers should be willing to help with this process.
8. IMO, nothing I would note.

C + Terra is a great combo. Super fast downloads, a solid pool of storage, and best set up for expansion to other zones if you want later.

Welcome! This forum is a great place for Kaleidescape users and we benefit from direct access to Kaleidescape here and very capable dealers.

Just to add

7. While Disc-to-Digital is available on some titles - there is no way to add or play a UHD disc with your Kaleidescape system. You either have to maintain a stand alone player or re-buy from the Kaleidescape store.

I've sent you a PM on accessing the US store from the UK

It sounds like you have been catch up on reading at this forum but I thought I would add the links to threads just in case:

1. Lack of UND titles. I track a list of titles available on the Store (US) versus what is released. I track only US releases in 4K on disc and not releases releases elsewhere in the world so it might be slightly off compared to what is released in UK (but not significantly). Also, there are titles that have been released on disc not available on the Store. We had someone tracking this but once 4K titles were added for all the major studios that effort was dropped. The link to this thread is here and gives the latest update of # of titles by studio and at the end of the post a pdf with the list of titles:

3. Access to Studios. Here is a list of dates when studios were added along with other significant dates. Again this is US Store only. The two missing for me are Criterion and HBO.

John

Hi all, its been about 3 years since I've been on the boards. I never bought the Kscape back then due to the lack of titles and UHD titles together with being spooked by the almost shutdown.. I noticed recently that this seems to have changed quite dramatically and the Kaleidescape store now seems to have more UHD titles than there are discs. This would be a game changer for me. I would be really appreciative if someone could outline the current limitations of Kaleidescape, as this information always seems difficult to get from the UK dealers whom I guess don't sell many of them so don't know alot. I've listed a few that were problematic before:

1. Lack of UHD titles - seems to have been resolved, and seems to be more choice than discs, and released earlier.

2. Lack of Atmos on UHD titles - I presume this has been resolved. Are all uncompressed sounds and HDR formats well supported now?

3. Access to studios - the list now looks to be excellent, are there any significant studios missing?

4. I understand 3D is not available, and unlikely to ever be available.

5. With UV having died, my digital collection is mostly on Google, is there anyway to move/share this over to Kscape? Also same question for movies bought on Amazon. Similarly, if I buy a movie on Kscape can I play it on an ipad elsewhere or port it to Google? (this gives me adaptability to watch when on the road, and some protection if something happens to the company)

6. UK Kscape store used to be terrible, so if in the UK, you needed to access the US store. Is this still the case, and is it still straightforward (US credit card/paypal)?

7. I have a large disc collection - standard blu-ray and UHD. I think previously I would have to buy a bluray vault and load the discs, and the vault didn't support UHD which seemed a bit of a waste of time buying a piece of old-tech. Is there now a convenient way to get this collection onto Kscape?

8. Are there any other limitations that I should be aware of.

I am considering the Strato C with a Terra server (US$35,000 in the UK), which would be used with a 145 inch screen with Sony laser projector.

Thank you for having the patience to read through this.
Hey 88HK,

I work on the dealer and consumer education side for Kaleidescape. I have a webinar I am getting prepped to host, but I'd be happy to go through any questions you have. Like you mentioned already, we have resolved many of the topics, and now have more than 12,000 titles, with about 1,200 of them in 4K. 49 Studios provides us with most of the content you'd likely be looking for, and we just announced rentals a few weeks ago for US, Canada, and UK.

I just picked up a Terra 40 myself, and two Strato Cs, since I blew through the storage of my Cinema One and Strato 12 while doing my disc-to-digital conversions, and during the holiday sale. I have about 700 discs, and I've converted most from DVD quality to HD or 4K at an average of probably $5-$6 so far. Basically for the hundreds of titles I had, if the HD or 4K upgrade was less than $10 I just bought it so I could free up room in my Cinema One to catalog more of my discs. I'm happy to walk through some options for you here as well. It's a great savings though, especially for someone with so much content on various platforms.

Feel free to email me at brett.bjorkquist@kaleidescape.com, and I'm happy to help you figure out if we cover everything you need, and how to best start to pull your titles together.

Brett, any word on higher capacity drives for the Terra Servers, and if so, upgrading pricing? I have a 40 TB Terra Server, but I have a fair amount more movies on KScape than I have capacity. Thanks to too great disc to digital or upgrade pricing recently. HA!

Wow. A very speedy response! Thanks guys. That's really useful. The studios coverage and the extra 4k content is brilliant to hear. If I can get down to only having to buy and keep 3d discs that would be awesome.

In regards to the disk to digital. I seem to recall that previously you couldn't do this with UHD, and for Blu-ray you had to use a legacy disk vault to load the movie from and then do the conversion, or hunt for a dealer that would do it for you. I presume theres a simpler way to do this now?

Wow. A very speedy response! Thanks guys. That's really useful. The studios coverage and the extra 4k content is brilliant to hear. If I can get down to only having to buy and keep 3d discs that would be awesome.

In regards to the disk to digital. I seem to recall that previously you couldn't do this with UHD, and for Blu-ray you had to use a legacy disk vault to load the movie from and then do the conversion, or hunt for a dealer that would do it for you. I presume theres a simpler way to do this now?

See my previous reply. Not for UHD - there is no D2D for those titles - purchase only from the store. Blu-Ray titles can be converted either by using an Alto or a Vault.

See my previous reply. Not for UHD - there is no D2D for those titles - purchase only from the store. Blu-Ray titles can be converted either by using an Alto or a Vault.
Thanks. I guess I would need to ask the dealer to do it. I wouldn't want to buy an alto or vault for what would basically be one day of usage, and I presume the vault also doesn't support 3D so I wouldn't have any long term use for it.

Thanks. I guess I would need to ask the dealer to do it. I wouldn't want to buy an alto or vault for what would basically be one day of usage, and I presume the vault also doesn't support 3D so I wouldn't have any long term use for it.

You're right there is no 3D support at all in the Kaleidescape eco-system.

Brett, any word on higher capacity drives for the Terra Servers, and if so, upgrading pricing? I have a 40 TB Terra Server, but I have a fair amount more movies on KScape than I have capacity. Thanks to too great disc to digital or upgrade pricing recently. HA!
There aren't higher capacity drives for Terra offered at the moment. However, why don't you reach out to my email, and I can figure out how I can try to help you out. brett.bjorkquist@kaleidescape.com

I hear you on the d-2-d promotion though. I've been converting from my Cinema One to my Strato. I bought a 12TB the week before Christmas, and had it filled before January 15th. Got some raging deals on titles though between d-2-d and the holiday sales we had going.

Shoot me an email and I can walk through some ways to accomplish this. Yes, you would typically need an Alto or Vault, but I may have some ideas! ; ) brett.bjorkquist@kaleidescape.com

No 3D to your other question, but yes you could likely thin down the physical collection to just those titles. We can't d-2-2 UHD, but there is usually a BR disc included in the case, and you can read that to get the discounted pricing on the 4K version. So think of it as a lower cost to digitize that, and for anything DVD or HD quality, you can often digitalize it and get an upgraded version.

Shoot me an email and I can walk through some ways to accomplish this. Yes, you would typically need an Alto or Vault, but I may have some ideas! ; ) brett.bjorkquist@kaleidescape.com

No 3D to your other question, but yes you could likely thin down the physical collection to just those titles. We can't d-2-2 UHD, but there is usually a BR disc included in the case, and you can read that to get the discounted pricing on the 4K version. So think of it as a lower cost to digitize that, and for anything DVD or HD quality, you can often digitalize it and get an upgraded version.

Nice Brett - I hadn't thought of moving in that direction to achieve the discount pricing.

Back