• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Latest KoS Version & Changelog?

Remember that Kaleidescape presents the content to us, but doesn't own the content. The studios have their rights to control how access to their content is presented. While certainly Kaleidescape would prefer to make offerings unilateral, those options are not always in their control. They do the best they can.

Remember that Kaleidescape presents the content to us, but doesn't own the content. The studios have their rights to control how access to their content is presented. While certainly Kaleidescape would prefer to make offerings unilateral, those options are not always in their control. They do the best they can.

Yeah, understood, which is why mentioned it was probably a studio by studio kinda thing. My disappointment is more with the studios than it is with KScape, because as far as I am aware that kinda thing doesn’t happen with iTunes and the like, and I was disappointed that the studios might want to place more restrictions when it comes to that on KScape, than they do elsewhere. But KScape obviously has to work within the parameters that the studios require.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great news but in the FAQ number 7 they mention that maybe 4k will be available for rent

On the new Terra-rebuild feature, is that something we have an option on how to handle? A surprise up-to-10T download spree could be troubling.

On the new Terra-rebuild feature, is that something we have an option on how to handle? A surprise up-to-10T download spree could be troubling.
There are currently no settings to enable/disable this feature. However the restoration queue will adhere to any download scheduling or pause state that you have in place.

So given John's comment above, in essence you can control what gets downloaded, it's just not available until you can get into the Downloads section to decide how to handle the queue (pause, remove, change position in queue). In addition, it's not a secret that the process has started, you'll receive alerts, emails, etc., so you can probably control the downloads fairly quickly.

Jim

Also, just to follow up on something Jim said -- currently, you cannot delete a restoration item from the download queue as you can with a regular download. This is because some movies may have multiple different "media objects" (files), which could conceivably reside on different drives in the Terra. For example, some movies include the extra features in a separate download.

Let's imagine a scenario: you download the HD version of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition). This is an uncommon case, but for some really long movies like this one, the feature is actually split across two files. So imagine that part 1 of the movie goes on drive 1 in your Terra, and part 2 of the movie goes on drive 3. Later, drive 3 fails. If we allowed you to cancel that restoration, you would have a situation in which the movie would still show on your system, and you could start playing it, but at the mid-point of the movie... oops. No more movie.

So, if there's a restoration in your queue and you decide that you don't want to restore that movie after all, the way to address that for the time being is to go to your system and delete the movie. That deletion is reported to the headend, and the restoration of that title will be canceled.

In the future, we aim to make this more streamlined, but since we expected that most people will want to restore their missing content most of the time, for this first release, we focused on that common case.

Thanks for that correction Mike, just assumed if you could do one you could all, but your explanation makes complete sense. (Shows you guys are on your game!!:cool:)

Jim

Great update! Love that you can have the main OSD in different aspects without having to scale output for movie playback. Also love the option for different refresh rates. This will work great for those with slow synching displays between the OSD and movies!! Output colorspace is also a great option! So much win!!!!!

Updates are not immediately available to everyone, but eventually reach all systems. Updates are normally automatic, but when we do force one it's by a simple "Restart." (There is no "update" button, or link to an update.)

Jim

I restarted my Terra and Stratos but no luck. Hope to have this update soon. I’m still on kOS 10.9.0-21934 on January 21.

I see I got the update (yay!) and I *feel* like I should know this answer but after a chat with engineering (unrelated subject) I'm not so sure I do.... If I want to have the smoothest GUI (60 fps) BUT also enjoy movies in unaltered/unconverted 24 fps, should I have my system set to "Allow display mode changes (use external scaler)" and OSD Refresh "Prefer 60 Hz onscreen"? What are the benefits (with current/real-world/available content) for going with an HDMI Color Sampling setting other than "Automatic"? In the ? of that section under "Prefer 4:4:4 30-bit" it says it will attempt to use this but may fall back to lower if needed." That sounds *kinda* like automatic...? Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Mine says the last update was from April of last year. That can’t be right correct? I guess I will have to call KScape on Monday. 😔

Hi John,

Assuming that you are using an external scaler to up/downscale content, then yes, “allow display mode changes (use external scaler)” + ”Prefer 60 Hz onscreen” is what you want.

In terms of color sampling, this is really there to help out with certain video processors and components that perform better with particular color format. All of the content is 4:2:0 except for the OSD, which is 4:4:4. So in terms of actual movies, you‘re losing no data — it’s just about how it’s packaged.
Thanks, Mike! The "External Scaler" could be that built into my PJ though, right? I'm really just trying to make sure I'm actually getting movies in 24 fps all the way to the PJ, and not up-scaled in the Strato to 60...

Seem this update is have great thing for projector user looking to update my system to look on it

Thanks, Mike! The "External Scaler" could be that built into my PJ though, right? I'm really just trying to make sure I'm actually getting movies in 24 fps all the way to the PJ, and not up-scaled in the Strato to 60...
Allow display changes will ensure that you are getting the proper frame rate (24 vs 60). Use External Scaler will not only give you the right frame rate, but also output at the native resolution (480/1080/2160) of the content instead of the Strato always upscaling to 2160p.

Allow display changes will ensure that you are getting the proper frame rate (24 vs 60). Use External Scaler will not only give you the right frame rate, but also output at the native resolution (480/1080/2160) of the content instead of the Strato always upscaling to 2160p.
HI Kris

(RE: Best Practices settings when using Lumagen Radiance Pro and K)

With this new kOS update and the earlier recommendation from Lumagen in regards to K:

How to set up Kaleidescape Strato & Pro to eliminate unnecessary output mode changes
With many projectors changing the output mode (.ei 4k24 to 4k60) can be rather slow. The Kaleidescape player always uses 60hz for it's menu but when playing a movie it's preferable to have it set to play at 24Hz so going between menu and movies can leave the viewer sometimes waiting 30 seconds with a blank screen while the equipment syncs up to the new output mode. A very simple way to fix this is just to set the Pro to output 4k24 for all input modes but then the less common case of 60Hz videos from the Kaliedescape would look stuttery so a method to stay in 24Hz output for only the Kaleidescape menus and 24Hz movies is desirable. There is a way to detect the special case of Kaleidescapes' menu screen and with a new option in the Pro we can eliminate this slow resync time between menus and movies and keep 60Hz videos looking good. To do this, make a change in the Kaleidescape players advanced video setup menu and set the HDMI Content Type Metadata to 'Transmit content type metadata' (the Kaleidescape will now output a special graphics flag over HDMI when in it's menu). On the Pro menu under Input: Options: HDMI Setup: Type, set the Graphic Flag Use setting to 'Use'. Now when the Kaleidescape is in it's menu the Pro will detect and use the graphics flag and classify the input mode as 'Other' (instead of 4k60). So the last setting to make is in the Pro's Output Setup menu and for the input mode condition of 'Other' change the Pro's output mode, CMS's and Style selection to match what is setup when detecting a 24Hz input mode. The Pro will now stay in the same 24Hz output mode when Kaleidescape changes between 60Hz menu and 24Hz movies but still allow the Pro to change to a 60Hz mode when 60Hz videos are played.

What is the best configuration in the Lumagen (and K) to best reduce sync times, etc.? Is making the K splash page 2.35 still the preferred set up? OR does this new kOS update make the above Lumagen firmware recommendations with K unnecessary?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Back