• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape Will Release Upgrade Details This Week

My guess is they know how many people use the script feature and the answer is...not many. I know about it, but have yet to care in the least. *shrug* I'd bet 98% of K users don't use them.

--Donnie

Proud to be one of the 2% who uses scripting.

And would use this feature even more often if Kaleidescape incorporated additional script programming features, such as control of music, etc..

Proud to be one of the 2% who uses scripting.

And would use this feature even more often if Kaleidescape incorporated additional script programming features, such as control of music, etc..

Me too! And would miss this possibility because of automated lay of Custom-Movie Intro and Feature-Presentation ...

Need it also to compensate the Disc-Loan-Service with custom tags for end-credits-position and aspect-ratio wich are not always provided for european movies. When I loose this possibility, I have nearly no more reason to own a k-System ...

Good morning everyone!

Let me take a moment to answer a couple of the questions that have been asked.
  1. I expect that we will have a tool of some sort that will make it easy to calculate how much of your disk space is curently being used for downloaded movies, to aid in specifying how much storage is needed on Encore.

1. Is there any ETA as to when such a tool will be available so we can determine storage space needed on the Encore system?

Thank you.

Scott Shearer

I don't know how long it will take, but this is what I did:

I went to my web interface, pulled up my list of Blu-ray and HD movies (I don't really download DVD content from the store) and I sorted by type to group the Blu-ray quality separate from the Blu-ray disc content.

Then I exported the list to excel, deleted the blu-ray disc titles and then sorted by time, which worked to get all my TV shows together.

I was able to count how many films I had from the store, as well as how many TV seasons. I used a 40GB per film and 160GB per TV season (avg 4 discs per season, although I could sum the minutes of time and divide by perhaps 150 to determine disc quantity and put each disc at 40GB).

Then I had a good approximation of the store content I would need to move over to the Encore system.

One side note, this encore system holding store content changes the decision making on the disc to digital upgrades. Now do I not only look at the value of my vault slots, but also will be making decisions on load balancing between my premier and encore servers. The Terra server will be cheaper per GB but I expect to be heavy on premier storage for a while as I free up a lot of space moving my store content over.

I plan to keep two systems running in parallel. Premiere holding store downloads/BD imports and Encore with Disney and 4k movies. Currently downloading Disney movies in my Terra server(linked to an Alto for the time being). I will program my Crestron remote accordingly.

I don't use scripting often but I do like having it. Its not a deal breaker for me in terms of the Encore migration but I will miss it. Heres to hoping they bring it back. I think it does give a (very slight) advantage when comparing systems.

I plan to keep two systems running in parallel. Premiere holding store downloads/BD imports and Encore with Disney and 4k movies. Currently downloading Disney movies in my Terra server(linked to an Alto for the time being). I will program my Crestron remote accordingly.

What is the advantage to this vs merging them as K just announced we can do?

To me the advantage would be not having to opt your Premier system in to Disney, but still being able to do Disney downloads on the Encore.

Even when I go 4K it'll likely only be my theater that I'd care, and in that one place I'd be more willing to have two systems and live with the interface difference to NOT have to opt-in my original system. In the event I later wanted to go full-bore 4K everywhere, then I'd likely opt-in and merge. *shrug*

--Donnie

To me the advantage would be not having to opt your Premier system in to Disney, but still being able to do Disney downloads on the Encore.

Even when I go 4K it'll likely only be my theater that I'd care, and in that one place I'd be more willing to have two systems and live with the interface difference to NOT have to opt-in my original system. In the event I later wanted to go full-bore 4K everywhere, then I'd likely opt-in and merge. *shrug*

--Donnie
That makes sense- I hadn't considered the Disney opt-in aspect of things. It amazes me that Disney asked for this as a term. I would have already bought a lot of Disney movies from the store, movies I already own but want in bluray quality without taking up vault space, if this restriction did not exist.

The other reason besides Disney for me is to be able to use my capacity on my 3U server. If I merge then, then all my downloads move to the Encore side and I am left with a lot of used a space on my premiere server.

John

In my case with a 3U Server and M Class player and Vault - If I add a Stratos player which has ability to upscale 1080P to 4K - can I play my blu ray movies on my 3U server through the Stratos and be able to upscale them to 4K?

If not then the other option is to sell my 3 U server and move all my discs on the 3 U Premier to the Terraserver - in other words get rid of my K System and move up to Stratos and Terraservers?

Thanks in advice on this...

In my case with a 3U Server and M Class player and Vault - If I add a Stratos player which has ability to upscale 1080P to 4K - can I play my blu ray movies on my 3U server through the Stratos and be able to upscale them to 4K?

If not then the other option is to sell my 3 U server and move all my discs on the 3 U Premier to the Terraserver - in other words get rid of my K System and move up to Stratos and Terraservers?

Thanks in advice on this...

Read through this thread- that should answer your questions. Basically the Terra server won't let you copy disks to it- they have to be stored in the vault AND played from the vault. But merging the premiere with a terra/stratos by adding solves the problem.

Read through this thread- that should answer your questions. Basically the Terra server won't let you copy disks to it- they have to be stored in the vault AND played from the vault. But merging the premiere with a terra/stratos by adding solves the problem.

Thanks... will do again..
Noticed that there are a lot of comments about Stratos downscaling 4K to 2K but none about upscaling 2K to 4K although the Stratos literature states that..

I think most of the comments about the Strato downscaling refer to people who have 1080p displays and wonder about their being attached to Strato players. In that case, the Strato would necessarily downscale the 4k resolution content to 1080p.

Seems to me the way to go if you have a lot of storage and vault space and think you might move to the Encore system would be to go back to actual discs and fill up your capacity that way.

Thanks... will do again..
Noticed that there are a lot of comments about Stratos downscaling 4K to 2K but none about upscaling 2K to 4K although the Stratos literature states that..

I'll bet it will be like when K released the last DVD players before they introduced the m series- they upscale dvd to 1080p quality and it looked very good.

I think thats very likely. And scaling technology has only gotten so much better. I think anyone with a 4K display likely has pretty good scaling built in already. And if you want better/ more control there are options like Lumagen.

Seems to me the way to go if you have a lot of storage and vault space and think you might move to the Encore system would be to go back to actual discs and fill up your capacity that way.

This is exactly what I was hoping to do. Leave all(most) of my blu rays in the vault, and play from there using a new Encore system. I had assumed they would have a trade-in system to trade up from my 1U to a new Encore system. Looks like that isn't happening, yet.

Kevin

Back