• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape Video Review and Overview - NEED YOUR INPUT

BrolicBeast

Greeting, All:

I am a very happy new member of the Kaleidescape family and I am thoroughly enjoying my new investment. More importantly, my wife and children are enjoying it as well!

So, I have a Home Cinema focused YouTube channel (search: Brolic Media), and my next video will be on the Kaleidescape Strato. As part of the Video Review, I will be comparing video and audio between the Strato, bit-for-bit files played from my Plex Server, and actual 4K discs.

I do plan on measurements and graphs to identify the differences between audio and video for the three playback formats, but I wanted to reach out to the Kaleidescape community:

Is there anything specifically that the community would like to see? Dealers, what subjects could help you convey features to you customers. End-Users, what are you lessons learned? Prospective customers (I know you’re on here—I joined this Kaleidescape Forum in 2015/16 and juuuust made my first Kscape purchase last month), what are you curious about?

Let me know and I’ll add it to the subject list that I will be covering in the video.

Thanks, all.

I plan to start shooting the video this week, but probably won’t be uploading it before the weekend.

-Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hey, Matt! I've followed your build for some time, so exciting you're in the home stretch! I think more than Plex rips vs 4K Disc vs Strato which should (IN THEORY) be pretty close to identical, I think most would rather see comparisons of Strato quality to streaming of the same titles via Vudu, Apple Movie Store, Netflix... Just my thought...
Best of luck and let us know when the video posts!
John

Hey, Matt! I've followed your build for some time, so exciting you're in the home stretch! I think more than Plex rips vs 4K Disc vs Strato which should (IN THEORY) be pretty close to identical, I think most would rather see comparisons of Strato quality to streaming of the same titles via Vudu, Apple Movie Store, Netflix... Just my thought...
Best of luck and let us know when the video posts!
John

Hey John! Long time, man! great idea—there are several kscape titles i own that are also available for streaming (News of the World, Promising Young Woman, etc.) that would make for great comparisons. Thank you!

How’s your room looking these days? Still rocking the awesome DefTech Mythos speakers with the drop-down screen and Velodyne sidewalk-cracking sub (Trinity?)
One of my favorite media spaces!

Hey John! Long time, man! great idea—there are several kscape titles i own that are also available for streaming (News of the World, Promising Young Woman, etc.) that would make for great comparisons. Thank you!

How’s your room looking these days? Still rocking the awesome DefTech Mythos speakers with the drop-down screen and Velodyne sidewalk-cracking sub (Trinity?)
One of my favorite media spaces!

Matt, nice that you remembered! Been a few changes to the room... The Trinity (actually Def Tech) is still there but now it's augmented by an SVS SB-16Ultra; Marantz PJ was replaced with JVC NX-7; (I miss having my Panamorph lens system, but I'm currently using lens memory shift/zoom for 2.35 instead of the lens); processor is now the Marantz AV8805; and it's now 7.2.6; Mythos GemXL for side/rear surround and front height, and 4 Di8R for center and rear height channels. Wish I had the dedicated space that you do! And the Trinnov is on my AV bucket-list! I actually just sold a Stewart micro-perf (like you put in) and we'll probably install it Apr/May, so looking forward to seeing it for myself! Take care!

Greeting, All:

I am a very happy new member of the Kaleidescape family and I am thoroughly enjoying my new investment. More importantly, my wife and children are enjoying it as well!

So, I have a Home Cinema focused YouTube channel (search: Brolic Media), and my next video will be on the Kaleidescape Strato. As part of the Video Review, I will be comparing video and audio between the Strato, bit-for-bit files played from my Plex Server, and actual 4K discs.

I do plan on measurements and graphs to identify the differences between audio and video for the three playback formats, but I wanted to reach out to the Kaleidescape community:

Is there anything specifically that the community would like to see? Dealers, what subjects could help you convey features to you customers. End-Users, what are you lessons learned? Prospective customers (I know you’re on here—I joined this Kaleidescape Forum in 2015/16 and juuuust made my first Kscape purchase last month), what are you curious about?

Let me know and I’ll add it to the subject list that I will be covering in the video.

Thanks, all.

I plan to start shooting the video this week, but probably won’t be uploading it before the weekend.

-Matt

Matt...

Good to see you here.

I think beyond the basics of enjoying the movies on Plex or Kaleidescape you should address some of the intangible things.

No. 1 How much your wife and kids like it.
No. 2 The difference between ripping and downloading between powerlifting sets. 💪
No. 3 The lack of need for a complex back up routine.

I’m looking forward to the review.

Bill

Matt...

Good to see you here.

I think beyond the basics of enjoying the movies on Plex or Kaleidescape you should address some of the intangible things.

No. 1 How much your wife and kids like it.
No. 2 The difference between ripping and downloading between powerlifting sets.
No. 3 The lack of need for a complex back up routine.

I’m looking forward to the review.

Bill

Hey, thanks Bill! I will definitely be touching on those. I actually was about 80% shooting content, and when I put all the files in my editing software and trimmed the heck out of it, I was at 15 minutes of jusssst talking....so I’m going to have to do a ton of reshoots that are more succinct, or....split it into Part 1 and Part 2. There’s a ton to talk about. I’ll include those subjects in the re-shoots.

Might be worth mentioning how tricky making MKVs can really be. People discount this. Getting the rights subs, dealing with forced subs that sometimes but be manually processed and muxed back in, obfuscated playlists, and so on. I bet many people ripping have wrong movie and tv show files on their servers and don’t even realize it.

Another would be the value of updates in Kaleidescape. No real equivalent on disc.

And that copy protection can change and evolve. So new content can always come along and be unrippable.

There are so many pitfalls to DIY media handling. It’s a pain and an unsunstainable path for content in the long run. That’s why I kissed it goodbye for Kaleidescape a few years ago now after doing a ton and tinkering with all kinds of elements of it.

Might be worth mentioning how tricky making MKVs can really be. People discount this. Getting the rights subs, dealing with forced subs that sometimes but be manually processed and muxed back in, obfuscated playlists, and so on. I bet many people ripping have wrong movie and tv show files on their servers and don’t even realize it.

Another would be the value of updates in Kaleidescape. No real equivalent on disc.

And that copy protection can change and evolve. So new content can always come along and be unrippable.

There are so many pitfalls to DIY media handling. It’s a pain and an unsunstainable path for content in the long run. That’s why I kissed it goodbye for Kaleidescape a few years ago now after doing a ton and tinkering with all kinds of elements of it.
Great idea.... I'll def add these!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

None of the other alternatives (except physical media) offers true pass through (source direct). This was the reason why Kaleidescape came on my radar. I wanted a movie server/player with great user interface but also transparent when playing my movies. So all the video processing is done in my video processors.

Back