• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape Vault Player And ATMOS

todo

I watched Expendables 3 this weekend which is ATMOS track and could hear random sound dropouts.
My receiver is Theta Digital which is not ATMOS capable and was showing True HD as the sound stream.
I saw the following post at the avsforum ATMOS thread:

Well, Oppo 93 owners, as promised the answer from Oppo Support - Read it and Weep. The full reply from Oppo: "There is no firmware that is necessary to enable Atmos, it is available out of box. It is not guaranteed that Atmos will work with the BDP-93 since this player lacks Seamless Branching support. This can result in random audio dropouts. Only the BDP-10x series of players are guaranteed to playback Atmos properly. Best Regards, Customer Service OPPO Digital, Inc. 2629B Terminal Blvd. Mountain View, CA 94043"

I gather the Kaliedescape players will have the same issue - haven't tried my M500 player with expendables yet...

Will appreciate any comments or resolution.

This has little to do with the Player, and almost completely dependent on the Receiver/Prepro. As long as your Player is set to Bitstream, and any secondary audio setting is disabled, the Dolby Atmos audio will pass to your Receiver or Prepro for Atmos processing. Because Atmos is Object based and not channel based, you can get dropouts if the Receiver of Prepro is not Atmos capable. This can also happen if the secondary audio setting (available on many BR Players) is not disabled.

Jim

I downloaded this movie from the store. Played it through my M700 and am having audio dropouts. I watched my processor during the dropouts and it never lost the lock on the audio stream.

Have others downloaded this movie and played with M700 with no issues?

John

That comment adds a different element to the OP's question focused on Atmos. Although my answer above doesn't change, this "could" be a general BR (HD) playback issue found with some BR disc pressings. I know it happened with Total Recall, and others, so perhaps that is what the OP is actually experiencing. I'll try my downloaded copy of Ex3 later today.

Jim

Same here John, downloaded this movie from the store, played it through my M700 and I am also having occasional audio dropouts. However, and as I have just bought the Trinnov Altitude processor with an early beta firmware, I can't tell you where the problem really comes from. Before buying and as the product is not yet fully finalized, I was warned by the Trinnov guys that I might have such dropouts so it might be the processor. I haven't noticed anything though with other films, but I have only watched 3-4 and not in Dolby Atmos.

Btw great processor and great customer service. I attach a pic, with all Dolby Atmos channels(9.1.4 soon to be 9.2.6) in action.

Regards,

Kostas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Watched this with an M300 through a Marantz AV8801 a while back. Had the dropouts.
Definitely something with this particular title.
People with the disc version reporting the same with multiple players and processors.

Yup, I agree, it does appear to be a bad transfer that is affecting most of us. As in most of these cases, they will likely issue a fix after receiving enough complaints (talking about the Studio, not K). They re-issued Total Recall for having the same problem.

Kostas, stop making us jealous!!:D That's likely going to be at the top of the HT processor heap, along with the Datasat RS20i, once full implementation is achieved. That remapping function alone adds something special to what is supposed to be an incredible processor. Have fun!!:)

Jim

Thanks everyone! Nice to know it's not a problem with my processor.

John

Kostas,
Congrats on the Trinnov - my install is scheduled in January and will be a 11.4.6 install.
I cant wait...

todo, congrats, we'd appreciate your Altitude feedback as well!:)

Jim

I downloaded this movie from the store. Played it through my M700 and am having audio dropouts. I watched my processor during the dropouts and it never lost the lock on the audio stream.

Have others downloaded this movie and played with M700 with no issues?

John

I'm playing it through my M700 and i did not have audio dropouts.

I have a JBL Synthesis setup with an SDP45-4K processor.

Do the dropouts happen at the same spots or is it random?

The first few I stopped and backed and they repeated - so not random.

John

Edit: I am using McIntosh MX-150 processor. I guess I will check and see what they say.

Back