• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape today announced the launch of a new product line called Encore

They're in stock as well, I just shipped another yesterday.

Jim

Other than bragging rights, is there a reason to be an early adopter for a K Encore system?

I still see no K Store 4K downloadable content, and, what would a post be from me if I didn't once again take the opportunity to mention the continued total absence of Kaleidescape 3D support?

And I'm still trying to figure out how to import my existing 75+ 3D Blu-ray disks onto something with a Kaleidescape nameplate on it. Apparently we will never see the advent of Premiere system 3D support, and as of now, importing anything into an Encore system is a non-starter.

Nothing to do with bragging rights, most people currently ordering are Alto owners, and the Terra increases their storage capability.

Jim

Other than bragging rights, is there a reason to be an early adopter for a K Encore system?

No one is trying to earn bragging rights:confused:, we are simply informing our fellow forum members about the system's availability.....

I still see no K Store 4K downloadable content, and, what would a post be from me if I didn't once again take the opportunity to mention the continued total absence of Kaleidescape 3D support?

We all hope that K will shortly announce the 4K content and Strato player availability. Re 3D we are all aware about K's lack of support(for the time being) and we have chosen to live with it. Oppo or other BD players do the job very well, I understand your frustration though.......

Thanks Jim for your response.

Guess I needed to walk in an Alto owner's shoes to see the advantage of upgrading to the Encore line.

But as a Premium owner, still don't see the advantage until such time as Kaleidescape puts the horse back in the front of the cart and has 4K content available.

For those that don't know Ken P, I can assure you his response was not intended to insult anyone, he's a great guy, just disappointed that 3D is yet to be supported, as are many others.

For the sake of clarity, the Alto is an Encore component, so Alto owner's are not actually upgrading, they are just adding additional Encore components when they purchase a Terra Server, or Strato Player.

Jim

And as for getting a Terra server, if you don't already have an Alto player or are receiving a Strato player along with the Terra, there really is zero benefit or point as a premier system cannot put content onto it or access content from it.

Nothing to do with bragging rights, most people currently ordering are Alto owners, and the Terra increases their storage capability.

Jim
Mine Terra server just came in, should be able to pick up tomorrow. I am Alto owner that needed more storage vs getting another Alto to get the storage. Did not need another player yet, but will be looking at Strato maybe next year when start looking at migrating to 4K UHD.

4K Ultra HD Titles Available for Pre-Order

Initial 4K Ultra HD blu-ray titles from Fox and Sony are now available for pre-order on Amazon. Titles include:

The Martian
Life of Pi
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Exodus: God and Kings
Hancock
Salt
Chappie
Fantastic 4
The Maze Runner
The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trails

John

Note: I should have made this a new thread about 4K content availability. Jim, feel free to move if you would like.

Got the Terra and installed. Had some setup questions that I posted in the Hardware and Setup thread in regards to downloads.

How quiet is it? Do you have a 3U you can compare the sound level to?
Sorry, don't have premiere system, just an Alto, DV700, and now the Terra. I located the Terra away from my TV area so can't really say. The Alto and DV are in my TV area, and I don't hear the Alto, Dv700 is the loudest when switching discs, but then when playing, can't hear it either. My TV area is next to the kitchen so I don't have a low noise floor. Plan to solve that with the theater I am slowly building.

And as for getting a Terra server, if you don't already have an Alto player or are receiving a Strato player along with the Terra, there really is zero benefit or point as a premier system cannot put content onto it or access content from it.

Mr. P,
Is that strictly accurate? Haven't converted a system yet, but I thought you could make a working system with, say, a Terra and an M300, by reassigning the Premiere player and replicating the content to the Terra.

Mr. P,
Is that strictly accurate? Haven't converted a system yet, but I thought you could make a working system with, say, a Terra and an M300, by reassigning the Premiere player and replicating the content to the Terra.

Currently, Terra servers can only be grouped and used as storage with Alto and Strato players.

Currently, Terra servers can only be grouped and used as storage with Alto and Strato players.

Thanks for that. I guess the release mentioned that as a future capability. I was thinking it was an option right now.

That's right -- being able to group an M-Class player with an Encore system is part of the upgrade plan that we announced in December, that we expect to become available mid-2016.

It's important to note that even when that upgrade program is available, the Encore system (and therefore the Terra server) will not store any content imported from discs. That's why you continue to use your Premiere servers in conjunction with the Encore system.

At this point, I have decided to eventually just convert entirely to the Encore system and give up the local disc loading ability. I won't do that until Fox and Paramount are on board, though, so the discs I have on my 1U now will be converted to digital copies. Also, the Premiere players need to be able to attach to the Terra. At that point, I'll jump on the Encore train with both feet.

I really like the music aspect of the K system, and use it now, but it would be ridiculous in my application to have a 12TB music-only system, so I'll use an existing Escient MX-x11 for my CD music, and sell the 12TB 1U server to someone who would like a grandfathered Premiere system.

Just keep in mind that there are a lot of concert videos that are not available for download. For instance, even though we have Sony and NBCUniversal movie titles, we do not have any of the concerts available from Sony Music or Universal Music.

It would be nice to know if these might be available at some point (along with Eagle Rock Entertainment).

John

Last edited:
Mike, any chance of us getting a 6TB terra or an alto sans the BD drive. Honestly I would like to see a smaller cheaper expansion option

Back