• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape To Deliver 4K

From the same article,

Cheena says: ?A big focus this year has been the addition of more content. I can?t make specific announcements right now, but we are working hard to expand our catalogue and expect to reveal good news at CEDIA Expo in Denver this September."

CEDIA is Sept. 10-13 so it's just around the corner.

John

I expected this announcement to come a little closer to CEDIA, but nice to see C out front with the info.:)

Jim

Thank you for the news. I hope the new player will include internal decoding of the audio formats to PCM. Another interesting thought might be if the player could include the various streaming services. It would be nice to have the Kaleidescape interface and I don't see why Kaleidescape has to reinvent the streaming system. Maybe if you want to stream the latest episode of your favorite show you'd just select that show and the system would know which of the services you've provided your information for would have the best version to stream.

Jerry,

Do you want K to decode Atmos-encoded audio? Do you expect them to keep up with the audio technology treadmill or would you rather have your receiver/pre-pro do it?

Hi Wilson,
My setup (Meridian) requires all audio be sent over HDMI as PCM. No one will be crying for someone who owns Kaleidescape and Meridian systems; but my situation is an unfortunate one where I am stuck between two proprietary systems. I've built my own black box to do the work for now but it just died so I'm back to listening to the core audio. I'm hoping Kaleidescape will either intentionally use a chipset that does the same decoding just about every other BR player does or perhaps those will be the only chipsets available for a new design.

As to ATMOS, I haven't heard it yet so I can't really say if I think its worth the effort. At first blush I'm not that enthused.

It may not be official (or have a release "window",) but didn't Becky announce this already back in June as part of the FAQ update resulting from the DVDCCA settlement? http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14656&postcount=105

I think the super-value components and including the ability to stream (meh,) however, were somewhat big points buried at the end of that section.

Yes, they kind of slipped that in. However, I took this in the same vain as the K announcement that they were committed to 3D. They kind of have to say this to keep people interested.

Now they are saying they will have a 4K player next year which is a big difference. Hopefully, we will get more details next month!

John

I'm looking forward to that! I also hope 2015 means earlier in 2015 and not late 2015 that could slide into 2016.

Hi Wilson,
My setup (Meridian) requires all audio be sent over HDMI as PCM. No one will be crying for someone who owns Kaleidescape and Meridian systems; but my situation is an unfortunate one where I am stuck between two proprietary systems. I've built my own black box to do the work for now but it just died so I'm back to listening to the core audio. I'm hoping Kaleidescape will either intentionally use a chipset that does the same decoding just about every other BR player does or perhaps those will be the only chipsets available for a new design.

As to ATMOS, I haven't heard it yet so I can't really say if I think its worth the effort. At first blush I'm not that enthused.

Jerry,

I am in the same boat and I think as an M owner, we going to lose. M is of the mind that the processing should be done at the player level and points to the Oppo while K is of the mind that the processing should be done at the PROCESSOR level... ATMOS is saying that existing blu-ray players will be able to process and transmit ATMOS, but it seems like the processors are all new for Atmos. M must also stay loyal to its DSP offering which will be a tough sell with ATMOS given the size, weight and cost of each speaker when full scale ATMOS requires multiple more channels.

You can clearly see the issue brewing on HH site, though interestingly enough, many of the long-timers are abandoning multi-channel entirely...
I just wish that now that K has solved its legal woes, M would buy K and then we would be done.

Any event, looking forward to some updates on K hardware.

I am also an owner of a Kaleidescape/Meridian system and would hope that any upcoming player will decode to PCM. It really should not be a big deal and, as already mentioned, most players at almost all price points (probably some much better than others) do it. I actually don't load movies where the sound design is an important aspect of the film into my K system. Rather, those where I am most concerned about sound presentation, are played through my Oppo into the Meridian for full enjoyment of what the director intended. There definitely is a difference. For "smaller" dramas and comedies and certain TV series, the lesser quality output (core) from the M-500 is adequate and the features are fully enjoyable.

This is definitely an area that K should improve. It may only effect certain people, but those that do fork out for a "reference" product like Kaleidescape, should get the very best that the medium is capable of and not have to settle for inferior sound. They say that the quality of their presentation is at least equal to other Blu-ray players, but obviously there are notable exceptions such as this. Whether or not other codecs in the future will have to be accommodated remains to be seen.

Here's hoping for this issue to be resolved as well as many wonderful new developments implemented as their new hardware is rolled out (hopefully sooner than later) over the next couple of years.

Regards,

Wayne

Well, no disagreement there. I pitched - rather unsuccessfully I might add- to the now new CEO of M, the purchase of K, suggesting the almost guaranteed high rate of adoption of Sooloos by K users. I would love to just have one option. I am sure there are others that would love to have servers that serve both music and video!

Well, no disagreement there. I pitched - rather unsuccessfully I might add- to the now new CEO of M, the purchase of K, suggesting the almost guaranteed high rate of adoption of Sooloos by K users. I would love to just have one option. I am sure there are others that would love to have servers that serve both music and video!

I suspect K has a negative view on this as well.

I guess time will tell.

I don't know if Kaleidescap's philosophy is decoding really should be done by the pre/pro because they do offer some decoding. I'm just hoping that the chipset they use for the next generation will perform this decoding or perhaps we will find some other solution.

Not sure I like this part of the comment

"...by 2017 we expect to have a large catalogue of the finest quality content available for download and we?ll be looking at a strengthened value proposition for the digital world.?

That sounds like three years away.

I suspect K has a negative view on this as well.

Well, the path for K isn't paved in absolute certainty at any level. I would add that executive turnover and structural change to the core model are often catalysts for M&A. I don't pretend to know the ownership structure of K, but didn't the founder/CEO step down?

But I digress. I look forward to more products. I suspect that we will see a product that is similar to Vudu or Roku that is 100% streaming but uses the K interface. Presumable it will work with all of the premier gear and anything that is UV sanctioned :)$@$&$ Disney!!!) I imagine over time these will all have 4k support as well.

Not sure I like this part of the comment

"...by 2017 we expect to have a large catalogue of the finest quality content available for download and we?ll be looking at a strengthened value proposition for the digital world.?

That sounds like three years away.

I read this part as referring to 4K content availability. I could be wrong on this but I hope not. K did say (and I am paraphrasing) that they would have most of the studios available by the end of this year.

John

I guess time will tell.

I don't know if Kaleidescap's philosophy is decoding really should be done by the pre/pro because they do offer some decoding. I'm just hoping that the chipset they use for the next generation will perform this decoding or perhaps we will find some other solution.

All the chip sets I have seen now decode all of the advanced audio. I don't think that K could pick a something that didn't do this. Also, with their new long term plan to have a sub-$1k player at some point to compete on the broader market will force them to offer decoding in the player just like everyone else. It's just my opinion. It will be interesting to see how things unfold.

John

Edit: This is a complete turn-around for me on this subject. In the past I thought since they were such a niche market that they would never put the resources in this. It now looks to me like their new business model hinges on content delivery with the K interface as their unique hook.

I read this part as referring to 4K content availability. I could be wrong on this but I hope not. K did say (and I am paraphrasing) that they would have most of the studios available by the end of this year.

John

I believe the 2017 comment referred to all content available at the K Store, not only 4K. K expects the studio's to increase availability of 4K content going forward, but there is no specific timeline, just a plan to my understanding.

K is working hard to increase the number of titles and studios at the Store, but I have not heard them commit to having "most" studios available by the end of the year. Frankly, given the amount of time required to make titles available for download, I doubt we will see more than a couple/few studios this year, if that many, (but it would be nice to be wrong!):)

Jim

Last edited:
I was just going by the following:

"Pursuant to the settlement agreement, the superior court at the request of Kaleidescape and DVD CCA modified the injunction to provide that it takes effect November 30, 2014. This permits Kaleidescape to continue selling systems that import CSS-protected DVDs through November 29. By then, Kaleidescape expects to have most DVD movies available for download from the Kaleidescape Store in the United States."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kaleidescape-dvd-cca-announce-settlement-220400269.html

It is a little vague, only refers to DVDs and only refers to the US. I may be being too optimistic but we should have an idea next month.

John

Back