• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape Store - For Music?

Calm-One

Does anyone know if music content will be added to the Kstore?

I would be interested in either straight CD or music video / concert style.

Cheers

That could be really cool- also it would be cool if higher resolution than CD would be supported.

fantastic idea. and the record labels are (finally) much more accommodating than movie studios in terms of online purchase partners. I hope K is working on this. What a nice addition it would be.

Thats not really their online download store- thats something you can buy which gets sent to you on transport discs or "pre installed" with a new system.

I guess the question is would you be willing to buy music if it could only be played on the K system? Would they sell lossless / hi res ? Think the music industry would be wary of that if it could be ported off the system.

I opted to avoid using the K for music. I run a dedicated Macbook Pro laptop running Amarra software and a Drobo RAID holding the music. An Ayre DAC sends analog into my pre-pro. Allows hi res music too. Simple solution and also feeds iPods painlessly.

Thats a great solution Big Hat. I have not seen the Amarra software. I hate to say it but my music listening isnt really expanding like it used to- most of the things I like I have already and I have them in parallel between K and iTunes. However, I would go with AnOutsider's suggestion of having an MP3/AAC or whatever type copy for iDevices or other devices. .....

Most of you guys have been involved with this system longer than I have, but it always seemed to me that having a very secure system devoid of a content porting option is what has enticed the movie industry to play along with K.

The more I think about it the less I care about a music option. Frankly, if the K-store didn't promise B_R content in the future I really couldn't care less about that either. The value of the store to me is very simple -- a B_R movie added to my system without the "expense" of occupying a space in an M700 that basically costs me an additional $20. Very little reason to buy a SD DVD online and the same goes for music.

What's so hard about taking a minute to burn a CD onto the K system and another minute to iTunes and still have a hard copy handy for anything else you'd like to do with it? I confess to buying a 256k iTunes song now and then, but if it's an "album" I want, I buy it and burn it lossless. Even my iPods are mostly lossless. Of course, to each their own. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the pros and cons a bit better.

Thats pretty much what I think as well. The problem comes with getting content bought in iTunes into the KSystem. I simply dont bring much of it in as most of that content is played in the car or gym and I dont really need the K music for it. When I buy a CD I actually make a 192kps MP3 out of it, and a AIFF and then into K system. This way I have a perfect back up on my computer and the MP3. I stuck with MP3 for compatibility reasons. I dont really hear a difference to lossless on an iPod in the car / gym.

Hi Jerry,
I do the same except I don't put it into the K. If I had the K before I spent days and days importing it into the system noted above I'm sure I would though.
I went lossless as I use the 160gb iPods not only for my car and gym but for my office system which is decent -- Dynaudio C-1s, NAD M3 and Krell KID. I admit I could live with compressed though.

Couldn't agree more about the car and other noisy environs -- it's a joke to think it matters. Reminds me of when high-end cassettes were in vogue such as the Nakamichi Dragon (are you old enough to remember?). I'd tape some Telarc CD of classical music disc with about a 95 db of dynamic range and half of it was silent in the car. LOL. Remember the DBX noise reduction and compression systems too?

Looking at new cars now and the B&O option in the BMW M6 and MB SLs for $3.7 and $6K respectively. Salesman say that being a convertible is all the more reason to spend the extra money. I smile at him. Plus I think B&O is a fashion statement anyway.
Also agree that the songs I purchased from iTunes can't get into the K, but I'm a remote control button away from access to them at home anyway.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I might load a few CDs into the K and experiment a bit.

Well time to go celebrate!! Have a great night and see you around next year!!!

Hey- I have the B&O in my M6! It happens to sound great. I like prog rock.

I do remember the Nakamichi cassette decks- I loved the one that would pop the tape out and spin it around so you never had to play it backwards for the second side.

I remember Dolby B&C NR.

I'll tell you why getting the nicer stereo in those cars might make sense- what would it cost to do a really good after market system with the kind of integration you get with the car audio system? Im guessing 10k at a minimum and probably more like 15k.

Dynaudio are really nice speakers. Sweet.

FWIW, B&O has gotten better over the years- they are still a fashion statement but now days they back it up with performance. I have a set of their headphones I use for the gym and they are quite good- for gym headphones. Listened to 2112 today. The Priests of Syrnix never had it so good. :)

PS- the new M6 is a sweet ride- highly recommended.

Small world Jerry.

Appreciate the info on the B&O. I will reassess based on your input. I think my dealer may have a car equipped with it to check out.

Well everyone has to make their own decisions. To some its a total waste of money. But to some owning a sports car is a total waste of money. And to some owning a movie server is a waste. Its all subjective here. Im just giving you a thought about why it might not be quite as crazy as it sounds. And to be fair- I never listened to the stock system. Im sure its already very good. I guess you could say I wanted the whole cake with the cheery on the top of it. :)

I have done several very long drives in a 640d fitted with B&O and was very impressed. The 640d is a fine car ....not as fruity as an M6 but can travel 500 miles on a single tank.

Naim and Meridian are also providing some excellent automotive sound systems.

I would definitely have B&O in a 6series. I have been told by a friend B&0 in the SL is worthwhile.

As ever with HiFi.... some systems work for the listener and some don't.

I have done several very long drives in a 640d fitted with B&O and was very impressed. The 640d is a fine car ....not as fruity as an M6 but can travel 500 miles on a single tank.

Naim and Meridian are also providing some excellent automotive sound systems.

I would definitely have B&O in a 6series. I have been told by a friend B&0 in the SL is worthwhile.

As ever with HiFi.... some systems work for the listener and some don't.

Don't want to take this too far off track. Just want to say I appreciate the candor and input on the B&O from both of you. No need to caveat it as worthwhile to some and not others. For those using the K system, a background in very good home audio gear is probably very common. I caught the bug at 13 and mowed lawns so as to buy the latest phone cartridge, etc. Never even began to take differing opinions personally.

The $6K for the system in the SL is a bit harder to accept. I always think of it not in terms of value, but in opportunity cost. What other audio gear purchase could I make that's a bigger bang for the buck. The MB user forums are starting to have more posts complaining about the B&O (I have not heard it), specially that they tune the system to the car, which is obviously what one would expect and don't offer much user flexibility in terms of front / rear balance and other user preferences. I'm not buying either car off the lot, so I have a bit of time before placing my order to check it out. Leaning M6. Thanks again.

Nice to have the music in the K bc you can run the dcoax out to your DAC, play it through you music system and control by the K app. If compression doesn't bother you, you can also get iTunes over. It just a cumbersome task.
B&O Dealer

Back