• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape Premier SDR Video Output

todo

Is there a way to set the Kaleidescape SDR output from 444SDR709 to 422SDR709?

I need the out to be 422SDR709

I looked in the settings of the M500 Player and don't see any way to set this.

Currently when I see my Lumagen 5348 OSD (by pressing INFO on the 5348 remote) its shows the output from the M500 as 444SDR709

Thanks in advance

I don’t think there is a way to change this on the Premiere players. Historically, most 1080p devices only supported 4:4:4. It wasn’t until later HDMI revisions that 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 were added to reduce bandwidth.

Just curious, but why do you need this?

I don’t think there is a way to change this on the Premiere players. Historically, most 1080p devices only supported 4:4:4. It wasn’t until later HDMI revisions that 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 were added to reduce bandwidth.

Just curious, but why do you need this?
The Input from M500 to Lumagen I see in the Lumagen OSD Is 444SDR709
The Output I see from Lumagen to Projector on the Lumagen OSD is 422SDR709

My Goal was to both Inout and output be the same - to avoid any motion flow issues (not sure if this will be a factor but I wanted to eliminate anything not perfect)

The difference in color space won't make any difference in terms of motion. Blu-ray content is natively 4:2:0 anyway, so the remaining color information is just padded out with zeroes. The Lumagen will just remove those zeroes again.

The Input from M500 to Lumagen I see in the Lumagen OSD Is 444SDR709
The Output I see from Lumagen to Projector on the Lumagen OSD is 422SDR709

My Goal was to both Inout and output be the same - to avoid any motion flow issues (not sure if this will be a factor but I wanted to eliminate anything not perfect)
There are some colorspace conversions happening internally in the Lumagen after the input. I don’t remember all the details of the topology but at one point it is RGB and later stages are 422. You can check with Jim at Lumagen, he might share with you the internal topology. Your display device will also do further and multiple color space conversions before displaying images. Outputting 422 into the display device is usually the safe bet because most displays prefer this colorspace as it is less dense on the bandwidth and requires less processing power to do image and color processings. Ultimately, the final stage is in RGB on all displays.

As MikeKobb mentioned the conversions won’t cause motion issues. In discrete time (digital) signal processing, you can reconstruct the original signal if you apply the inverse of the original function. In some devices, this isn’t done correctly and causes chroma(color) upsampling errors (CUE). As MikeKobb mentioned the raw data is in 420 form. I don’t know if anyone ever run any benchmark tests on Kaleidescape players to see whether they have the chrome upsampling bug (CUE) when doing the 420 to 444 conversion. Lumagen has CUE filters to mask these errors but it is best not to have it in the first place. Oppo players were praised highly because the sigmatek chipset used in it was free of any chroma issues. This was in the era when most DVD players suffered CUE. Much less relevant with the modern players but M series players are pretty old.

Colorspace conversion and chrome upsampling issues are generally very very subtle. 99% of people don’t notice them. The issue is, once you notice them, your eyes are always drawn to them. If you don’t see any chroma issues in your display, I recommend being ignorant towards them :)

These are such informative and technical responses for a lay man like me - I thank you all so much for responding.
This came about after my recent acquisition of a DLP RGB Laser projector and I have a Premier and Encore infrastructure with Lumagen Costar.
The picture was having perfect motion flow in HDR (output Stratos C) but the SDR (output M500) had huge amount of Judder to the point the picture was almost not watchable.
On checking using Lumagen Info button on OSD I found that for SDR the Lumagen was receiving 59KHZ but the Lumagen was outputting 24Khz.
So I went into the M 500 and changed the Video output to 1080p 24sf and that solved the judder issue completely, picture now is perfect.
Next I noticed the 422 and 444 difference thus I posted the question here, so I thank you all again for a great answer.

These are such informative and technical responses for a lay man like me - I thank you all so much for responding.
This came about after my recent acquisition of a DLP RGB Laser projector and I have a Premier and Encore infrastructure with Lumagen Costar.
The picture was having perfect motion flow in HDR (output Stratos C) but the SDR (output M500) had huge amount of Judder to the point the picture was almost not watchable.
On checking using Lumagen Info button on OSD I found that for SDR the Lumagen was receiving 59KHZ but the Lumagen was outputting 24Khz.
So I went into the M 500 and changed the Video output to 1080p 24sf and that solved the judder issue completely, picture now is perfect.
Next I noticed the 422 and 444 difference thus I posted the question here, so I thank you all again for a great answer.
I like to include as much detail as possible on my posts then have a quick summary in the final paragraphs. This is sometimes more than OP ask. Since the information will remains here forever, I hope it answers all related future questions by others(those who knows how to use search). I should be clear about my methods on my posts. I apologize for that.

Back