• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape Network Broadcast traffic

bdgarcia

Kaleidescape Network broadcast traffic is out of control on my network. I have been having a broadcast storm problem on my home network that I am trying to diagnose. I just monitored about 20 minutes of traffic, and during that time the K5000 server, DV-700 disk vault, 2 M300 players, 1 40 TB terra server, and 1 Strato and one Strato C have each put out between 11,000 and 12,000 broadcast packets with is clearly not acceptable or expected. I do have 24TB Terra Server that has failed and is not online since I sent back to trade in for a 72TB Terra Server. Outside of that nothing has changed. Has anyone else see this phenomenon?

Thx
Bryan

Hey Bryan, what you’re seeing sounds normal. Each K device broadcasts a super small UDP packet every second to help discover new devices (for when they are added to the system). If you are seeing some problem due to the packets, it is likely due to how some other device is responding to the packets. Years back it was common for Crestron processors to be installed on a VLAN to help isolate them from the K packets. I heard of a number of them locking up if not isolated.

Hope the explanation helps.
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the explanation, but the rate is 10x that. That is very disappointing and a very bad practice on the part of K.

Bryan

Seems like the exact rate he said. You listed 7 components, each broadcasts once a second, that's 8400 in twenty minutes.

Kevin D

Kevin,

Please re-read my post. I state 7 devices were EACH generating 11,000 to 12,000 broadcasts in ~ 20 min. That comes out to be 77,000 - 84,000 packets in 20 minutes. I stand by my comments that is 10x what Andy suggest is expected.

Bryan

Bryan, other than the potential control problems mentioned by Andy, I don't have your knowledge on this subject, so please educate me here, how do these "broadcasts" affect your K systems performance, or what is the negative impact on your LAN, or other online activities? (Serious question, not being sarcastic or questioning here, I have zero understanding of this subject.)

Jim

Ouch! Yeah that's a little different! Hopefully they can look into it.

Hi Bryan,

Those numbers do seem high for an idle K system. Are you certain none of the components are active? If you can't nail it down, contact K support... they can tell from the logs if components are at least behaving as expected (or maybe receiving inadvertent control commands or something).

Andy

Bryan, other than the potential control problems mentioned by Andy, I don't have your knowledge on this subject, so please educate me here, how do these "broadcasts" affect your K systems performance, or what is the negative impact on your LAN, or other online activities? (Serious question, not being sarcastic or questioning here, I have zero understanding of this subject.)

Jim
Hi Jim,

Directly it is not causing a problem given I have an enterprise grade network. What I am concerned about is all of that unnecessary traffic impacting some devices that may not have robust IP stacks. If it is causing one of them to fail, that may be the cause of the broadcast storms I am seeing. Right now, I am trying to capture the failure when it happens, so I cannot say KScape is causing the problem, but sending out 10 broadcasts per second is definitely not a good practice.

Bryan

Seems like a better K process would be a “search for K components” when you add a new component and have them respond vs. looking 24x7x365 for something that most of the time never happens…. BUT, I’m no network engineer!

I would wonder if the problems are not limited to Crestron. The errors my Control4 system was logging trying to control premiere components almost looked like a storm response. Seemed weird to get feedback for 3+ copies of the command issued (always made me wonder if I needed to hit zero once or multiple times to leave a record for K to check :). Luckily everything is behaving in the month or so since I replaced the switch & router (can even control SD/HD content without needing to switch to the Second Screen app!)

Back