• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape launches movie download store

Not sure how they got that info, obviously must have been during an interview. "Assuming" it's true, it could be a Server as we know them, or it could be something with much less capability BUT the ability to act as short term storage for downloads. Perhaps not the same degree of collectability we currently enjoy, but a way to get access to the store on a much cheaper level. Just a thought.

Jim

Jim:

This might be a viable option for those outside of present Kscape ownership (and kscape ownership philosophy of owning/collecting all movies).

I for one am interested more in rental than ownership but Bluray quality is paramount. All of the current download stores are inferior to bluray quality and therefore not an option for me. Netflix/Blockbuster and Redbox are my only alternatives,and not very good. How nice it would be to have the latest Bluray rental releases downloaded to a server and ready for viewing upon release date. I rarely watch a movie more than once. I love the idea of a rental format that maintains the quality of Bluray in its entirety.

I am definately a minority on this forum but probably speak for many outside of Kscape ownership.

One question - I tend to do a lot of deleting and reloading of blu-ray content. This is especially true when I running out of space on my server and trying to make do while waiting for the next larger drives to become available.

Will I be able to delete content and then re-load at a later time? I notice that there was a reference to being able to have movies loaded on 5 servers at a time. Does deleting and re-loading count as one loading onto another server.

On a related note, one blu-rays that have a movie disc and a supplemental features disc, I ususally load both adn watch the supplements once. I then delete and load only the movie dics in order to same space. What are my options on downloads? Can I opt not to load supplemental material?

John

Jim:

This might be a viable option for those outside of present Kscape ownership (and kscape ownership philosophy of owning/collecting all movies).

I for one am interested more in rental than ownership but Bluray quality is paramount. All of the current download stores are inferior to bluray quality and therefore not an option for me. Netflix/Blockbuster and Redbox are my only alternatives,and not very good. How nice it would be to have the latest Bluray rental releases downloaded to a server and ready for viewing upon release date. I rarely watch a movie more than once. I love the idea of a rental format that maintains the quality of Bluray in its entirety.

I am definately a minority on this forum but probably speak for many outside of Kscape ownership.

Understood, and if K is developing this capability they are clearly aiming at a market that includes folks like yourself. Personally, I think it's a good strategy for the company.

Jim

One question - I tend to do a lot of deleting and reloading of blu-ray content. This is especially true when I running out of space on my server and trying to make do while waiting for the next larger drives to become available.

Will I be able to delete content and then re-load at a later time? I notice that there was a reference to being able to have movies loaded on 5 servers at a time. Does deleting and re-loading count as one loading onto another server.

On a related note, one blu-rays that have a movie disc and a supplemental features disc, I ususally load both adn watch the supplements once. I then delete and load only the movie dics in order to same space. What are my options on downloads? Can I opt not to load supplemental material?

John

Under the FAQs, they state you can download again if deleted.

https://store.kaleidescape.com/help
What happens if I delete a title I already downloaded?
You can download the title again at any time from Your Purchases.

John

The ability to "reload" previously purchased and subsequently deleted content has not been discussed. I assume someone at K has that answer, I'll ask and post if I get an answer.

Regarding the supplemental disks, I downloaded "Robin Hood" (DVD quality) as part of the Beta and the Movie and supplemental material were listed separately in the download menu and I could have not imported the supplemental if I so elected, BUT, once it was completely imported it shows up as one entry in the Movie List (which is normal).

Jim

Will I be able to delete content and then re-load at a later time?

Yes. You can delete a movie and re-download it.

I notice that there was a reference to being able to have movies loaded on 5 servers at a time. Does deleting and re-loading count as one loading onto another server.

No. You may simultaneously have up to 5 unique systems registered to your account and any movies that you purchase can be queued and downloaded to any or all of those 5 systems. Re-downloading a movie does not "use up" a system download.

Can I opt not to load supplemental material?

If the supplement material is a separate download, you can opt not to download it. If, however, the supplement material is part of the main movie download, obviously, you cannot opt to skip it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It sounds like K really did think things through.

John

Another nice feature that you may have already discussed is that if you buy a title once from the store, you are able to download it for free (after the first purchase of course) to additional systems that you own (and have registered via the same email address). I have 2 systems, so when I buy something, I downloaded it to the other system, as well. Very, very cool. You can do this up to 5 systems, I was told.

Can anyone confirm that downloaded movies from the Kaleidescape store sync properly with D-BOX systems?

Boom. Just like that, there's no need for the disc vault. Glad I passed. This is definitely great news though! hD content without the vault and discs!

I think we are going to need our vaults for a quite some time!
Even after K starts offering Blu-ray downloads, their inventory of downloads will not be every blu ray we can buy in the store. Its going to start out very limited at first and then gradually increase as 2013 goes by. I would not be surprised if even at the end of next year that they still dont have availability to all Blu-rays. (although I would love that)
So its safe to say that if we want to enjoy our collection of Blu-ray movies NOW, that the vault is required for the next many many months

Good point there C. I guess it depends upon how quickly the other major studio's come onboard (assuming they do).

Jim

This is great news. Well done Kaleidescape. I will be waiting for the HD content, but this is exciting!!! Also well done by WB. I remember when DVD first came out and WB was a leader then and still are now.

I posted this on the CEPro article but would be curious to hear if you guys think this is going to be a big issue:

"One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here is the download size of the movies. Assuming the numbers in the article (1.5 hours at 50mbps) I get just under 34GB per movie. Most ISPs have monthly broadband caps and will even cancel your service if you go through it a few times. I know Comcast’s is 250GB/month.

While 7 movies a month (for Comcast users) may sound like a lot I’m assuming it isn’t for this target audience."

K is offering a "buy all" option which obviously would be a massive download. I've never had a need but do the ISPs offer an unlimited service?

ISP Download Cap

K is offering a "buy all" option which obviously would be a massive download. I've never had a need but do the ISPs offer an unlimited service?

Yes, some do. IMO the terrible ones.

i.e. - ATT and Comcrap (cast) excuse me (several bad experiences with them). See

Fios does not... YEAH!!! See

Really just depends.

Comcast does offer uncapped service. You just have to purchase a business account rather than a residential account. You can also get hardcoded IP addresses this way if you like. but be prepared to pay MUCH higher monthly rates for business service.

Very nice, but what about costumers in Europe??? When will we be able to use the download store and have the exact subtitles available with the films???

Congratulations on a great store.

After using the store I wish they would add a little more detail to the movies. I would like to see the aspect ratio of the movie and what is included with extras. For example, Blade Runner is in the store under Directors Cut and Ultimate Ed. It would be nice to have extras info in the store and not have to check other websites for the details. Most titles should be widescreen but was surprised that Spies Like Us was 4:3 pan scan.

When HD becomes available, I hope you get both HD and SD with purchase. Nice to have both for systems with both M class and older players.

Personally, I would love to see high quality theatrical trailers for upcoming releases. It would be nice to download the new Hobbit trailer with cover art. When it is released on BluRay, the trailer would just become part of a scene selection. Trailers are great for demos and with scripts.

The store was worth the wait and look forward to HD and more studios.

Back