• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape / Itunes

Bcguy

I'm at a standstill for importing music into K and not sure what road to take.

It's unfortunate that K can't update metadata like itunes on single unknown tracks etc. I love the idea of having multiple zones and the ease of importing but not it's feasible with a large collection of music to enter in all the information. I do have a large collection of purchased music on Itunes as well.

Is there an alternative for multiple zones with different music?

I use Sonos for multiple room music and it integrates flawlessly with iTunes (I keep my entire music collections in iTunes in Apple Lossless format).

I have Sonos setup for about a dozen rooms. It is easy to group rooms and the iPad app is excellent. I also access four different streaming services through Sonos and build playlists that combine any of the sources.

One note - although it is a wireless system I use hardwired Ethernet connections for best connectivity and stability.

If you are into the 'real hifi' experience have a look at the Linn DS range as the room players and the ipad as the control point using itunes or your own library on a NAS.
Different players at different price points but all work together.

https://www.linn.co.uk/music-systems

Thanks Rav & Mark. I like sonos and use it in a few work places. The Linn speakers are beautiful. The interface is great on both. I don't like that although you can hard wire the speakers in sonos there is no way to turn the wifi off. I'm trying to have everything in the house wired except for one source of wifi. I don't think they have ceiling speakers. We are not audiophiles at all and ideally discrete (celing or in wall type) music in most rooms and outside is the plan. If I find such a setup I'll post it. :).

Thanks Rav & Mark. I like sonos and use it in a few work places. The Linn speakers are beautiful. The interface is great on both. I don't like that although you can hard wire the speakers in sonos there is no way to turn the wifi off. I'm trying to have everything in the house wired except for one source of wifi. I don't think they have ceiling speakers. We are not audiophiles at all and ideally discrete (celing or in wall type) music in most rooms and outside is the plan. If I find such a setup I'll post it. :).

I'll check my notes - but I am pretty sure I have WiFi turned off on my Sonos units.

I am more a wired fan than wireless when it comes to networking as it is less likely to drop out.

Being more an audiophile for my main listening space I put hifi sound well above the cinema sound hence the choice of Linn and a Linn DS player fed from a NAS.

For general listening there are 10 music zones delivered from the central rack so the set-up is a reasonable size with some complexity and is based upon a mix of ceiling and free standing speakers but I prefer B&W to Linn speakers. That said both are very good musically but for outside in the garden and by the pool I have wired B&W speakers.

For the general music source I use my K servers and am a big user of K4000 music players and I then distribute sound around the house by using a Linn Intersekt (very old technology) but rock solid and available on e-bay for <$200 where as when they were new they were over $10K for the large Itersekts and use the Linn Roomamp2 to drive the speakers again rock solid and $200 on e-bay or >$1500 new but they are discontinued.

Sonos is good and much newer but to integrate K music and put around the house I think you need a different solution

If the wifi could be turned off and it was wired that would be great. I've been having a look at the Denon Halo system and Bang Olufsen. Not sure how compatible BO is with itunes. Seamless ipad control would be nice.

I'd really like to use K for all my music Mark. If it could update track names like Itunes does I would.

Back