• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape CEO discusses Apple 4K Announcement

I am out of space on my Alto, prefer not to use my DV700 so I need to do something. If they can very quickly solve the Fox/Paramount decision with timely releases, I will buy the Strato. If not, I will go the Dune route. Not a K system but I will have timely Disc availability (1080P) and eventually, someone will crack the 4K decryption.

I am sure that K knows they had best solve this issue quickly. While Apple (and others) are not competition for my business, they will be for other K potential clients. I can't prove this but my bet would be that many of K's customers bought the "experience" over the sound and image quality. And if another vendor can give them something similar, less expensive and more timely, K will have their hands full. I'm pulling for K.

Its because not every display can properly display HDR and thus, in this period of transition, it would be nice to have the same ability as some disc spinners, such as the Oppo.

My PJ is supposed to be able to display HDR but its depending on a new input card that can accept it. So why should I be unable to see the HDR titles while I wait for them to catch up?

I have almost no experience with HDR in the home, but from what I can tell, in some instances it can be problematic as the average picture brightness can be noticeably below SDR- yes leading to crushed whites and blacks by comparison. But maybe some people would prefer this.

I wonder if the Apple TV4K will support this conversion. My wild guess is yes, in the name of compatibility.

For very little money, there is an external box that can strip meta-data and therefore get you to SDR/WCG. The box is made by HD Fury. If I end up with a Strato, that is what I will use. I can get HDR in my theater but not without High Lamp which means fan noise which means I won't do it.

Thank you! I wonder though, if you just remove or edit the EDID info, won't the picture still be HDR and look so much dimmer? I mean wouldn't you need to actually remap HDR->SDR even with WCG?

In my case, I have a Radiance Pro which supposedly has this feature but I think I have a problem unit and then there is an interaction with my projector which has to be sorted out- so its a lot of moving pieces. I know it will get sorted. In the mean time I like to learn as much as possible so thank you for the information.

I don't know all the pieces here, but my sense of things:
ATMOS
UHD
HDR
SDR
WCG
PDQ???

I love tech as much as anyone else, but I think the industry or industries could really use some one overseeing how all this stuff is supposed to work together... (ok you can stop laughing now! :) )

Back