• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape CD identification and metadata support

nsxboy

Hello,

I am likely one of the few folks who still absolutely love the Premiere system and use it for storing my CD collection and distributing music around the house.

I wanted to ping Kaleidescape to see if it's possible to build out support to integrate GnuDB gnudb.org CD database to support content beyond the legacy database where the license for metadata license would be against the individual user rather than the Kaleidescape platform.

This way, Kaleidescape wouldn't have to have the license for the database and users who are interested can setup accounts and use the database service on their own via an integration.

Who can we make this request to?

Thanks,

Mike

I imported ten CD's a few days ago and they were all recognized by the music guide except for one. Not a bad hit rate. And the one that was not recognized was easy to add via my-kaleidescape. I get better recognition of music content than I do with movie content. If Kaleidescape were to devote some effort on further development of Premiere music I'd want them to give us the option for multi CD albums which are not recognized to appear under a single album art in the "enter info" process. But what I really want is to have a Kaleidescape 4K hardware option and access to the K-store.

Kaleidescape is great for music. I've been doing some A/B comparisons tonight between my M300 and my Esoteric Grandioso SACD/CD transport. The verdict. M300 wins hands down for the convenience and is so close in performance to the physical disc spinner I could live without the Esoteric. Which really is something because used M300's can be had for about $200 now and that Esoteric disc transport is $50K.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 21.59.01.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 21.59.01.png
    727.7 KB · Views: 8
I totally agree with Brodricj's assessment on audio quality. It's why I'm a huge proponent of supporting the content identification.

Unfortunately, I think all post 2020 album data is not available and it's what I'm hoping to get support on.

Who should we reach out to at Kaleidescape to get feedback on this idea?

Thanks,

Mike

Kaleidescape boffins monitor this forum, so they are probably aware of the suggestion. But they are on record as saying the Premiere system music guide is now legacy. Short of sending any unrecognized CD's to them and paying $10 per disc for the service you're just going to have to use the my-kaleidescape interface to input the data. I've been asking for years for the capability to put multi-disc albums under a single album art, they're just not going to do it. You'd think it would be a trivial exercise to tweak the kOS to add that feature, but no.
I've been buying CD's @ six for $10 at markets and they are probably a few years old. As I said in my experience about 90%+ are in the music guide. A much better hit rate than for movie content.
Tonight I'm listening to music on my M300. It's so close in sound quality to my Esoteric Grandioso disc transport the convenience of being able to listen to any song in my whole collection within seconds beats disc spinning hands down.

...and I'll just mention that upgrading the M300 power supply to an Sbooster brought a significant sonic improvement. And connecting M300 to the Esoteric D1X DAC with a Shunyata coax digital cable made it even better. These two tweaks have taken M300 into the audiophile orbit of Esoteric Grandioso territory.

Back