• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape at CES

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Dropped by Kaleidescape's suite at the Venetian during CES... no announcements or news of any kind. Sorry kids. :( They were showing the same demos and equipment, no hints or previews of any kind. I was disappointed... had hoped to learn or see something new at such a big event. (Last year they showed the Music interface for the first time.)

On the bright side... got to see some of the great people I've met at the company over the past year or so. Many of them talked about how the employees at the company definitely keep up with these forums.

AND... in an amazing coincidence, I happened to be in the suite at the same time that Jim (Cinelife) and his lovely wife were visiting, so we got to meet in person for the first time. Great to meet my co-moderator...

Sorry no news to break...
--josh

Josh,
It was great meeting you as well. We really enjoyed CES this year and we're looking forward to being there in '08 as well.

Jim

Hi Jerry,
This is really Josh's doing, but I'm sure he would agree that the forum's value comes from people like you and other forum members sharing their knowledge and experiences. Thanks for your contributions.

Jim

Hi Josh :

Great little forum, thanks for the invite. I actually was optimistically impressed by the fact that as soon as the LG GGW-H10N combo drive hits the market, that they will commence tackling the HD DVD /Blu Ray issue. That was encouraging. Windows vista release 2 will permit the sharing of Blue ray and HD DVD over a network with managed copy, so I guess that may also help a bit.

ggw-h10n-black.jpg

The Next Generation of Optical Storage
LG Electronics offers flexibility to consumers in the next generation in optical disc drives. The GGW-H10N is compatible with both Blu-ray Discs and HD-DVD formats. The Super Multi Blue drive is compatible with Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD read/write and HD-DVD-ROM (read), offering consumers with the most universal unit available.

The GGW-H10N can record up to 50GB of data, equivalent to 4-1/2 hours of high-definition video or 22 hours or standard definition video (on a dual layer 50GB BD-R/BD-RE recordable media). Surpassing the market standard, LG is providing a 4x recording speed of Blu-ray Discs, which means that it takes only 23-24 minutes to burn a full single layer BD-R disc (25GB), compared with 46-47 minutes for conventional 2x recording.

The product will be released during the first quarter of 2007, priced under US $1,199. The core technologies of Super Multi Blue Drive are Optical Pickup* technology, which supports Blu-ray disc write/playback, HD DVD playback and DVD/CD write/playback, as well as the system controlling the Optical Pickup securely and effectively. All of these are LG’s proprietary technologies.

The LG-developed Optical Pickup is the world’s first device supporting both Blu-ray disc write/playback, HD DVD playback, which proves the company’s unsurpassed technology in the optical storage field.

Super Multi Blue, also available from LG Electronics in the first dual-format high-definition disc player (model BH-100) available in early 2007, is expected to end customers’ confusion caused by the format war between Blu-ray disc and HD DVD and promote the growth of next-generation DVD market. (See separate news release.)

*Optical Pickup: The device reading and storing data by converting the code of the light reflected by an optical disc to electric code.

A New Level of Security
Using SecurDisc software co-developed with Nero, LG Electronics’ new Super Multi DVD Rewriter with Security Function meets the demand for enhanced features to enable secure data protection and content access control when writing data on CD and DVD formats. While some optical disc drives support password encryption as the only security function, LG Electronics’ new drive with Security Function offers multiple features to protect a disc at the user and storage level:

● Password Encryption – Protects user data against unauthorized access through password protection
● Disc Creator Authentication – A digital signature is applied to all data to allow recipients to verify data authenticity
● Integrity Checker – Detects altered data through checksums to verify data integrity and readability
● Data Insurance – Increases data reliability through redundantly stored data

LG’s DVD Rewriter with Security Function provides both professional and private users with the means necessary to protect and share data securely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,
Thanks- flattery will get you everywhere :)

I'm with you- a forum is only as good as its members and the best thing is to have members who care and who are usually polite and are self policing when they make mistakes.

CINERAMAX, Thanks for that info. I am now spoiled by these new formats and while I really am not sure if they will be a commercial success (I tend to be skeptical on it). But I would LOVE to have the Kaleidescape system and interface for this content.

A quick aside: I find I often have to find reasons to excuse technical products' shortcomings- maybe they are easy to use but the performance is lacking, or the performance is fantastic but the product is too difficult to use for everyone else in the family. The Kaleidescape has stunned us in that everyone in the family that comes into contact with it naturally figures it out and the "tech guy" (me) is impressed with the technical quality of the output and I know how tricky UI can be. In a word "WOW" is my feeling towards Kaleidescape.

Thanks guys... I'm glad this little community has started to grow and so far the board has been free of the politics, sniping, and ego-wielding that happens elsewhere. The volume is small here, but the quality is high, and I enjoy it and learn a lot from everyone who participates.

I'm not a high-end videophile, nor do i have a pristine, elegant, or even super-high-tech home theater... but I love hearing from those who do. I'm just a guy who loved my kaleidescape and hoped I'd find a place where owners could learn from others and share ideas without the constant "my $2k media center can do that you spoiled dumb f***s" comments that permeate the other boards sometimes.

I hope there's enough interest here to sustain the boards, I'm happy to put in the little amount of time needed to run the thing. It's VERY easy now that it's up since there's so little actual "moderation" needed... no complaints, problems, or heavy-handed rule enforcement.

Happy to do it, and happy to have good participation from others here.

--josh

Many of them talked about how the employees at the company definitely keep up with these forums.

I can say that as a dealer who loves the product I have on more than one occasion been talking to (names hidden) about an issue where they would bring up their internal tracking software and add my thoughts to the cue where the actual link to a thread here was listed as the origination point of the idea/issue.

I wish they were allowed to post here when they know the definitive answer to a question or technical issue. I understand they cant get into 'future' discussions and speculation, but i know they could help with technical issues here.

I wish they were allowed to post here when they know the definitive answer to a question or technical issue. I understand they cant get into 'future' discussions and speculation, but i know they could help with technical issues here.

Agreed, but for now at least they have you, Mike, me, and perhaps other dealers that have , or can get, the answers to questions posted here. It is unfortunate, but many companies are concerned their employees will say something that either causes liability for the company or gives up some "trade secrets," or business strategy.

One company that does participate in it's own forum is Pixel Magic (Crystalio VP) and although it seems to work well for them in getting info to the owners, I've had personal discussions with one of the owners that indicated he thinks the forum is a PITA. (Granted the two forums are not exactly the same. PM's forum is THEIR forum and they MUST respond, whereas this forum is owned an operated privately with no direct affiliation with K, and no requirement for them to respond.)

Oh well, I guess it is up to all of us to help each other when the need arises (which, because of the reliability of K, is thankfully infrequent.:) )

Jim

Back