• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape and Lutron

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I received this release from K earlier this morning:

Lutron and Kaleidescape Integrate Intelligent Lighting Control
for Private Cinemas

A Lutron HomeWorks lighting control system elevates the Kaleidescape entertainment experience

COOPERSBURG, PA and MOUNTAIN VIEW, CALIFORNIA – August 25, 2021 – Kaleidescape, the industry leader in delivering the finest private cinema playback experience, and Lutron Electronics, the global leader in lighting and shading control solutions, announced today the direct integration of Lutron’s flagship HomeWorks lighting control system with current Kaleidescape players. Utilizing Lutron’s state of the art LEAP integration protocol for Homeworks QSX processors, the direct integration of Kaleidescape with HomeWorks provides seamless control of Lutron’s Sivoia QS shades, and Ketra intelligent lighting solutions, giving customers the most realistic in-home cinema experience.

Only Kaleidescape players are designed to present movies at full reference, with lossless quality audio and unique metadata with cues that enable precise control of lights and shades controlled by a HomeWorks system. By simply pressing play, Kaleidescape sends information about the movie so the control system can adjust screen masking, lens shift in the projector, and lighting triggers that close the shades and slowly dim the lights; and when the credits roll, the lights come on slowly, to ease you back into the real world. In addition, intermission cues transition you in and out of the story when a break is needed.

“For 60 years, Lutron has been focused on delivering great customer experiences. Now, Lutron and Kaleidescape’s joint customers can relax, sit back, hit play, and watch their entertainment space transform into a cinema as the lighting and shading effortlessly transitions to the best movie watching environment,” explains Sam Chambers, senior director, Residential Systems at Lutron. “By directly integrating HomeWorks and Kaleidescape, customers feel as if they have a commercial cinematic experience in their own home.”

Kaleidescape is the only company that offers metadata, enabling seamless automation capabilities to control systems, and designed from the ground up for the custom integration channel. Unlike the streaming video experience, Kaleidescape and Lutron systems increase the beauty, elegance, and immersion of watching movies by delivering a commercial cinema experience to your home or yacht.

“Kaleidescape and Lutron are working together to deliver an unsurpassed cinema experience for private theaters,” said Tayloe Stansbury, CEO, Kaleidescape. “When you combine Lutron’s industry leading lighting control capabilities with Kaleidescape’s ability to deliver the best image and sound on screen, the addition of shading and lighting control truly brings the experience to another level of luxury and enjoyment.”

Now, with the ability to seamlessly couple control automation of lighting and shading with gigantic screens and immersive audio, custom electronic and design companies can truly provide an experience equal to, if not better than, a commercial moviegoing experience.

The direct integration of Lutron’s flagship HomeWorks system with current Kaleidescape players will be available for customers starting in early October 2021.

About Kaleidescape (www.kaleidescape.com)
Kaleidescape is the only online provider of films with full-fidelity audio and video for luxury private cinemas. The company’s internet-delivered movies include proprietary metadata that enables its award-winning movie players to produce a truly astonishing private cinema experience. Kaleidescape systems are installed worldwide in the best homes and yachts. Founded in 2001, and headquartered in California, Kaleidescape sells its products exclusively through custom integrators.

About Lutron Electronics (www.lutron.com)
Founded in 1961, lighting and shading control leader Lutron Electronics is headquartered in Coopersburg, Pennsylvania. From dimmers for the home, to smart lighting management systems for entire buildings, the company offers more than 15,000 products, sold in more than 100 countries. In the US alone, Lutron products save an estimated 10 billion kWh of electricity, or approximately $1 billion in utility costs per year. The company’s early inventions- including the first solid-state electronic dimmer invented by Lutron’s founder, Joel Spira-are now at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History in Washington, DC.

Jim

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
This is an annoying announcement. As a longtime Lutron-certified installer (Level 2), the VAST majority (98%?) residential installs use the Radio Ra 2 system, not Homeworks. Radio Ra 2 gives the user control of up to 200 lights and shades, more than enough for all but the most massive homes, likely anything under 15,000 sq. ft. can be done with Radio Ra 2.. Las Vegas hotels that need massive Lutron systems use Homeworks, but I've yet to come across more than one true residential system that actually uses it...

There really is very little technically differentiating Homeworks from Radio Ra 2... so why didn't they allow the K integration for the FAR more popular system?

I am willing to be that there will be fewer than 20 systems ever installed worldwide that get deployed combining a Homeworks and a Kaleidescape system... had they supported Radio Ra 2, there's a market of tens of thousands of these homes that currently or could use both.

A big missed opportunity for K (and Lutron) in my opinion.

SJHT

I’m wondering what the integration will be. Most control systems just read the Stratos control info and execute things like lights on (for pause and intermission), lights off for play, and whatever else you want. I also have Radio RA2 and my system interfaces directly with it. Assume it will only be Homeworks because that system has more automation rules (Radio RA2 is very limited) that can be written (eg conditional logic) FYI, there is also a Radio RA3 coming….

Last edited:

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
How are you getting your Kaliedescape to trigger your RR2 lighting system? I had it basically working with OpenHAB but running an openhab server proved to me more trouble than it was worth.

SJHT

My control system does this. Just Interfaces via IP to the main repeater for lighting. This is pretty standard to have your control system handle lighting, masking, projector changes, etc. Lighting is actually one of the simpler integrations. I think that’s why they selected Homeworks as it can do conditional logic I believe. They haven’t explained the actual integration as the only feedback I’ve heard was during a video at CEDIA and the answer given from K made no sense to me. SJ

mootang

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I had just procured a bunch of RA2 switches (in lieu of RA2 select) to start to implement into our home to tie into Control 4 system and/or integrate into Josh ai but now we’re moving. Are these good to take with me for the next house or is this tech being phased out?

Kevin D

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Las Vegas hotels that need massive Lutron systems use Homeworks, but I've yet to come across more than one true residential system that actually uses it...

Rr2 isn't centralized. Most higher end customers do not want 200 dimmers on there wall when 40 keypads would be sufficient. It's not about square footage. We maintain about 4 homeworks systems just within 100 miles of us in Mississippi.

That said, most people with Homeworks and K will have a control system/programmer and all ready do this. So I do agree that RR2 would be a much better choice.

I haven't kept up, but is the leap protocol on rr2 yet? If not, I'm sure it's coming and K integration would be soon after.

Kevin D.

SJHT

We don’t know what the integration is going to be. I really think it is simple Homeworks basic conditional logic to control lighting and shades. Something that RA2 can’t handle. Really no big deal as many control systems are doing this. Seems more marketing. My wife wanted Hunter Douglas motorized shades and although was not my first choice, my control system handles that as well. 😆

Bauer89

We don’t know what the integration is going to be. I really think it is simple Homeworks basic conditional logic to control lighting and shades. Something that RA2 can’t handle. Really no big deal as many control systems are doing this. Seems more marketing. My wife wanted Hunter Douglas motorized shades and although was not my first choice, my control system handles that as well. 😆
I think the logic though, and not sure how it will differ with HW, would be simply to have pre-programmed lutron buttons in a ghost keypad that are based on the events that Kaleidescape triggers. For those with crestron as an example, the five lighting events are tied and I just had ghost keypad presses on the lutron RA2 system it would trigger. Again not knowing the interface, how they will tie, etc... is hard for me to comment but like others have mentioned the Lutron RA2/HW protocol is so well documented I imagine this shouldn't be that hard to implement if they chose.

bdo21

I have Homework’s QS (and nothing like a 15,000 sq for house so I wonder if it was over specified!!) but the announcement refers to QSX so it sounds like I would need an upgrade to use it. I wonder if I am better off using the Control4 Kaleidescape driver from Chowmain and use Control4 to manage the integration…

Bauer89

I have Homework’s QS (and nothing like a 15,000 sq for house so I wonder if it was over specified!!) but the announcement refers to QSX so it sounds like I would need an upgrade to use it. I wonder if I am better off using the Control4 Kaleidescape driver from Chowmain and use Control4 to manage the integration…

It’s a very simple tie in for events to trigger lutron scenes that way, so I would recommend you go that route. I won’t speak for K and their tie into Lutron, but I imagine it’s quite simply being able to trigger the programmed K events without the need for a control processor in between. The fact you have control 4 should make it doable right now and without much pain. I have scenes programmed for movie start, intermission, credits, and menu and the lights automatically dim/brighten based on the feedback from the Kaleidescape driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carajo

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I think its great that these tech companies are working together. I also like that Josh ai is working with many of the same companies

We do this now using Control4 and Control4 lighting, and Lutron Shades (Radiora repeater)
The Control system does the work.

SJHT

Although not needed because my control system handles, I did take a look at the integration guide. Is is using simple button logic inside of Homeworks integrated with the Strato. Can't see any reason why this could not be also done with RadioRA2, but the K system will only pair with a Homeworks processor (vs a RadioRA2 main repeater). I tried lol... Maybe they will add whenever RadioRA 3 comes out, but would have a much larger customer usage base with RadioRA2. Still good to see these integrations happen! SJ

Kevin D

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Rr3 just announced with LEAP integration, I wonder if this will trickle down to it now.

jmf

Ra3 looks cool for those in the professional / integrator ecosystem. Supports the new Sunnata devices, is backwards compatible with several of the Ra2 devices, and appears to support device to device bridging for coverage.

The downside is that the new processor (repeater / gateway device) is heavily mentioning LEAP only, no Telnet. This will possibly break a lot of the smaller integrations and the DIY stuff like Home Assistant / Hubitat / Smart Things, etc. Hopefully its somewhat like the Caseta hub where it uses LEAP but you can enable Telnet for specific integrations.