• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape and DVDO Duo

digitalvd

Hi friends,

merry christmas to everyone.

I have some video dropouts with my Kaleidescape 1080p-Player and a DVDO Duo. I am in contact with K support and DVDO support. But right now, no solution. Maybe you have an idea?

I connect the K player via HDMI to the DVDO Duo and then to my plasma panel (HDMI).

I mentioned video dropouts (1 second), several times (3 - 4), when I watch a DVD. I connected the K player directly to my plasma, no problems. But my Blu-ray Player, the PS3, TV receiver, etc. did not have any problems with the Duo and the same connection.

Any idea?

Best,

Patrick

Some thoughts:

When the drop outs happen- does it seem like your display is resetting/ resyncing? If yes then it seems like you have an EDID issue. Do you see little sparkles/ "digital static" on your screen? If yes then thats a cable issue.

EDID issue: In short thats a communications protocol that tells each device in the chain what it can and can't do and if its all legit. It doesn't take much to throw the party into chaos. Try turning everything off- and so long as you won't lose any settings, you might want to unplug everything. Then Id try different power on sequences. Maybe begin with the TV first, then the Duo, then the Kplayer. Or reverse it. In this line of thinking- does the DVDO offer any manual EDID settings? If my reordering the startup doesn't do it, you might have to play with those settings- just be sure you can get it back to factory without too much damage to your other settings. Suggestion: write everything down.

This one says it will help handle EDID issues over longer runs:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8161

Cable issue: try replacing the cables / how long are these cables? Longer HDMI runs can be problematic. I think officially anything over 9' is considered too long (I might be wrong on this -- its been a while). My experience is it really depends sometimes I can getaway with a really long run and sometimes not.

You might want to consider a HDMI booster such as this one:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5925

Though this seems awfully expensive ($200) for what it purports to do. If you go with this or something like it, try it going into the DVDO and also coming out. My experience is it makes the most difference on the coming out side.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Dear Jerry,

thank you for your response. The HDMI cable is a high-quality Monster Cable and only 1 meters long. But I will try another cable.

Kaleidescape checked the log files and said: "There were several HDCP related errors during that time which could have caused the video drop-outs. The Player correctly reported EDID info from a DVDO iScan? Duo "

Best,

Patrick

Im sure the cable is OK but you'd be surprised how many times I've had a problem in my system where I am banging my head against a wall and I trace it to a bad cable. Sometimes they are made poorly or who knows- the problem with HDMI is its actually a pretty fragile setup- the cables, the EDID protocol all of it.

The log file info suggests you have an EDID issue. Try playing with the order of startup sequence first.

I run through a DVDO Edge, and have been noticing the same periodic signal block-outs. I was thinking on it last week, and movies tend to be perfectly fine (maybe a single drop) but extras are just terrible. Don't recall if the Edge's menus are fine overtop the problem when it happens, but that's more an issue with difficult in testing. So I have been thinking of playing with the settings to have the Edge always broadcast HDCP and/or having the vault do the scaling (it was close enough apparent quality-wise anyway,) so at least there are no re-syncs. Then again, I am also waaaay behind on firmware updates too...

Mine also might just be some cables that slipped through in a good batch, and just aren't good enough, as I cannot run the computer at full 1080p60 either. The only cables over 2m are computer-to-EDGE and EDGE-to-tv.

My vault video setting: OSD 1080i60, DVD passthru, PAL 1080i50, BD 1080p24/60, no BTB/WTW, and Deep Color enabled. I think my MP2 is setup similarly and drops were worse. Everything out of the EDGE is sent as 1080p (36-bit.)

EDIT: After a quick test (forcing OSD to 1080p60/50) it did start flickering/dropping almost immediately. Brief flickers are fine, but anything that completely drops the signal will also cause the menu to drop, with hard-flickers (half-second or more) changing the Edge's read-out to "unsupported signal".

Last edited:
I never had these problems with the OSD. Only when I watch movies. I never mentioned dropouts while listening to music. I will test the Power-On-Sentences today. I changed several settings in the menu, no success.

Best,

Patrick

Give this stuff a try with your connectors:
http://stabilant.com/sizes01h.htm
5ml of Stabilant 22A is sufficient to treat every connector in your system, not just HDMI.
I use the concentrate (which is more expensive) and have far less HDMI related issues now than before.

Happy new year to all,

I tried the last day several sentences:

TV - Scaler - K-Player
TV - K-Player - Scaler
K-Player - Scaler - TV
K-Player - TV - Scaler
Scaler - K-Player - TV
Scaler - TV - K-Player

No luck at all. I connected a projector to the Duo on the second HDMI output and will try Kaleidescape with that case. I will come back here after my tests.

Best,

Patrick

Hello,

I tried with the projector. Same problems.

I use the 1080p Player. Will the M500 have the same problems?

Best,

Patrick

Bypass the DUO, connect the player directly to the display and report findings. I doubt very much that the player has a problem, far more likely to be the DUO, or bad connections (which is why I suggested using the stabilant contact enhancer).

If I connect the player directly to the display it works fine. No problems. But that is not a good solution for me.

Again, the problem is most likely your Duo. I'd be sending it back to the dealer for warranty exchange. Or better still, trade it in on a Lumagen Radiance...

I don't know if the M500 will have the same issues because its a different player. I wish I could help you more but I agree that perhaps you should see if your dealer can try a replacement player or DVDO to help you eliminate problems. If you are inclined to get another video processor I can vouch for the Radiance- Ive had one for some time and I am really impressed with it.

I don't know if the M500 will have the same issues because its a different player.

As someone who went from MP2 (although as posting, I cannot recall if there were issues with this one) to 1080p-mini to M700, I would expect it to.

As someone who went from MP2 (although as posting, I cannot recall if there were issues with this one...

The only issue I can recall with MP2 is a timing error on the HDMI output for 576i which was particularly evident with some displays (and certainly with the Lumagen).

Right, at first I was thinking "there was always SOMEthing off," but on trying to recall, there weren't any problems with K until I started trying to run 1080p60 down the pipes.

That said, this discussion got me interested enough that I updated the firmware (was running a much older, and beta, version than thought.) Not thinking to use a laptop until afterwards, a re-seat of all the cables came along for the ride. Between the two, and having tested using some of the most problem-filled clips, there are no longer any issues with running full-1080p60 from either the computer or M700 at this point.

Back