• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K System Cost Disclosure..

What did/did you not tell your wife/significant other about the K System costs

• Told my wife/significant other, not a problem

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Told my wife/significant other, a minor problem, but still went ahead

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Told my wife/significant other, a major problem, but still went ahead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Told my wife/significant other, a major problem, purchase aborted

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Did not tell my wife/significant other because it would have been a problem

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Joelc

As some here know I am very seriously considering installing a K system in my house...in the interest of disclosure I told my wife about and, while she will not prevent me from installing the system, she did note:

i. Are you that lazy that you can not simply change disks when you want to watch something else; and

ii. For the cost of the system we can buy everyone in the house every Blu-ray that you will ever purchase and still have money left over...

When I advised here that it was about the experience, ease of use, the interface, etc. much like the SONOS whole house audio system -- which she can not and will not live without -- I got an "uh-huh" followed by music is one thing but movies which we may watch 3 or 4 times a week...

While she is being a great sport about things and telling me to do whatever I want I am curious as to the experience of others so, with that, please let share your experience...

Thanks,

Joel

I'll start this Joel. I did not have the same issue. My wife doesn't impact my personal purchase decisions, but I understand that is not the case in most homes. That said, I did mention the purchase before buying and she did make a similar comment about putting discs in the tray, but after installing the system it has become her favorite "toy." The argument for only watching 3-4 movies a week could be countered by pointing out that most people have a difficult time sorting through their movies to try and decide what to watch. They either give up, or anticipate the issue and ignore their movie collections. This is why K was created!!!:)

Jim

My wife is the saver in the family and she thought that the Kaleidescape was expensive but once she started using it, there was no going back. When we moved, her exact words were "that has to be the last thing you pack up and the first thing you unpack" so it is easy to see the convert there. It is also not uncommon, which is why Kaleidescape wants dealers to have a demo system they leave at a customer's house for a weekend then come back to pick up. The prospective client gets so attached to it that they cannot let it go. They call it the "puppy dog audition" much like if you loan somebody a puppy, they will keep it.

I recall my friends teasing me about how they got a TiVo for $99 when I spent $500 2 years earlier. I just looked at them and laughed in their face, saying "you spent the last 2 years without TiVo?!" and they didn't understand my response until they owned a TiVo for a couple weeks. Some items just are so much better in reality than people think they are going to be. A DVR is the closest analogy I can think of and while a vastly different price point, DVR revolutionized my TV viewing and improved my life. Kaleidescape did the same thing for my movie collection.

My frugal wife now keeps asking me to buy her parents a Kaleidescape for Christmas (3 years in a row now). If they do not put their foot down at the inital idea of it, you are not going to have any issues because they grow to love the system.

The Kaleidescape works well for TV series on DVD and remembers which episode you are on, which is SO nice. It also works for concert DVDs and lets you go right to the particular song, another of the major benefits that are often overlooked when people think of it as something just for movies.

My wife and I discussed the system and its costs and because the money was significant but not an issue for her it was easy to say sure. But the thing that she's appreciated the most is that when the kids want to put a movie on, they just can. They don't have to run around the house looking for that G-Force DVD (or now BR). And when they find the box for the movie, well, where's the disc? How come G-Force is in Beauty and the Beast- etc. If you have a large movie collection, the K system is a great organization tool. If your kids are really little it won't matter, but when they get a little older, it will. Also have you seen K's kids remote?

http://www.kaleidescape.com/products/accessories/

Ultimately the K system is not a necessity- its nice to have- it improves the quality of life. In that regard its kind of like being part of the Crown Room etc. However, its really appreciated and I can guarantee you that everyone in my house, wife included, would rather forego the Crown Room than Kaliedescape.

Btw- it also makes movie night entertaining with friends easy because it makes it so easy to sort on multiple criteria. For example, one night we wanted a comedy, but it had to under 2 hours.

Back