• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K-System 6000 Start Up Issue

Hello, I have have just returned from overseas and decided to have a look at my K System as I had a disc failure just prior to going away.

On rebooting the 1U Server, I can see it on the network with all the appropriate messages that a disk has failed. This is the good news.

The font end of the system is a k-Player 6000 which I use to upload DVDs and CDs on to the server. It's the k-Player 6000 that is having problems.

It turns on and gives a blue light. After a few seconds I hear the DVD (this is usual) however, just after that the lights go out and then come back on again only to go out just after the DVD engages (twice). The lights go out then come on again and so the cycle repeats...

No amber lights but the system doesn't appear in the components list. The box doesn't seem to be getting an ip addresss - but looks to do the handshake when I connect the network cable.

Am I right to assume that there's a DVD failure here? This is causing the re-set.

With a disk failure and now the front end of the system every element of my Kaleidescape system (there's 4) has failed during the last twelve months. I'm happy to swallow a new disk (£1000 here in the UK) but with the 6000 issue I'm having some doubts that it's the investment worth making.

Before I throw good money after bad any helpful hints from members?

Thanks

Looks like the power supply is not providing enough current to the DVD drive, not sure if they car be serviced easily.

I agree, sounds like a power supply, but could also be a board. If you are interested in testing the bad power supply, you should contact your dealer and request a service kit for the 6000, these are available from K (SVC-KIT-0040). Price in the U.S. $140, don't know about the UK but likely a little higher. The UK Distributor may already have some in stock. They are not that difficult to change.

Jim

Just a note as it seems that a lot (my personal experience so my not be relevant here) of the older components (K4000 music player especially) are failing and it is not the power supply as I have a couple of new power supplies that still won't power up players. I suspect it is motherboard failure that is now a bigger issue with these older players.

This may be the start of a new topic/thread, so I apologize if I am out of order here. Regarding the K-4000 Music Players failing and a power supply replacement not solving the problem. I have one such unit and started to look at it at the board level. I will try to state what I have learned to this point and if someone has further info, I would appreciate learning whatever anyone else has figured out.

The power supply outputs 3 instances of 12 volt power to the main board. These 12 volt power supply outputs to the main board feed 3 power modules on the main board. These are GE Critical Power modules. These identical modules are mounted on the main board. One unit provides 5 volt power, another supplies 12 volt power and the last one supplies 3.3 volt power all for the main board. These units appear to use a off module trim resistor to achieve multiple voltages. The 3.3 volt power module appears to have problem. I don't know for sure if there is some signal to 3.3 volt power module that is supposed to "turn it on" or if the module has failed. To that end, I have purchased a new module, but have not had time to try replacing it. Also, I should say that these power modules are slated for obsolescence.

Now, my question is if anyone else has gone further than me and perhaps has some info regarding this issue. I would appreciate hearing anything that anyone else may have to say regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Many thanks for the replies - I was unexpectedly called away on business a few days ago.

I'll contact a dealer - and hope for a reply. I'd like to get the 6000 working before throwing £1,000 at the server.

Correction on previous post...

This may be the start of a new topic/thread, so I apologize if I am out of order here. Regarding the K-4000 Music Players failing and a power supply replacement not solving the problem. I have one such unit and started to look at it at the board level. I will try to state what I have learned to this point and if someone has further info, I would appreciate learning whatever anyone else has figured out.

The power supply outputs 3 instances of 12 volt power to the main board. These 12 volt power supply outputs to the main board feed 3 power modules on the main board. These are GE Critical Power modules. These identical modules are mounted on the main board. One unit provides 5 volt power, another supplies 12 volt power and the last one supplies 3.3 volt power all for the main board. These units appear to use a off module trim resistor to achieve multiple voltages. The 3.3 volt power module appears to have problem. I don't know for sure if there is some signal to 3.3 volt power module that is supposed to "turn it on" or if the module has failed. To that end, I have purchased a new module, but have not had time to try replacing it. Also, I should say that these power modules are slated for obsolescence.

Now, my question is if anyone else has gone further than me and perhaps has some info regarding this issue. I would appreciate hearing anything that anyone else may have to say regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Please note that I had a typo in the above post. The 3 voltages are 5 volts, 2.5 volts (not 12 volts as in originally stated) and 3.3 volts.

Just wanted to have that corrected and accurate.

Thanks,
Paul

Many thanks for the replies - I was unexpectedly called away on business a few days ago.

I'll contact a dealer - and hope for a reply. I'd like to get the 6000 working before throwing £1,000 at the server.

I'd like to hear your experience, but I'm going to guess that a power supply won't fix it. I've seen a lot of dead KPLAYER-6000s. K will recommend an M-series player, but if you're interested in DVD-resolution content and don't need HD, the cheapest thing to do is probably to buy a used KPLAYER-5000.

Back