• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K Store movie rentals

Kostas

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Now that K store rentals have been officially announced we could use this thread to post, ask questions and exchange on this new feature.

I have one question: Where is John's thread of available titles for rentals? I ask since he appears to have some kind of Crystal Ball, lol.

I have one question: Where is John's thread of available titles for rentals? I ask since he appears to have some kind of Crystal Ball, lol.
Once rentals are enabled on your account, you will see an "Available for Rent" filter option in the filter bar on the web store.
1611610370429.png
Similarly, the updated mobile app has a filter setting to show content that is available for rental.

On that note, when you apply the rental filter, the prices displayed beneath the cover art images (on the web store) will change to show the rental price rather than the purchase price (assuming that you haven't turned off the option to show prices on your filter bar settings).

So the rental is mainly on the existing library or will we be able to rent on the p-vod window? If so where do those show? Under collections?

I understand we will see both.

"Can I rent movies while they are in theaters? Certain movies will be available for premium video on demand (PVOD), which means that they will be available to rent during the theatrical window. PVOD movies are typically more expensive to rent than other movies."

The only movies available to rent (or PVOD) will be in that rental section in the Store. There is a tab to the right of the "New to the Store" tab. If a title can be rented, or is PVOD, or purchased, the options and prices are shown there (unless K has changed something since the Beta ended).

Jim

Rental is a filter option for any store view. I'm looking at new releases with the rental filter on, and not seeing anything that looks like a PVOD title. There just may not be any there at the moment.

I would expect if there starts to be several or more PVOD titles available at a time regularly, they will get a specific collection in the store to gather and promote them.

Rental is a filter option for any store view. I'm looking at new releases with the rental filter on, and not seeing anything that looks like a PVOD title. There just may not be any there at the moment.

I would expect if there starts to be several or more PVOD titles available at a time regularly, they will get a specific collection in the store to gather and promote them.
”Fatale” is one that was made available to beta testers. Echo your specific collection comment!

In reading through the announcement & FAQ, I had the following questions...
  1. When the window elapses, does the title just become unlicensed, or does it self-destruct/delete (as FAQ14 suggests?)
  2. Per FAQ6 "however extra features are only available with purchased movies." ... so, K will twist arms to get studios to provide the extras when purchased? Please?
  3. Also related to FAQ6, if renting a fully-released title, will it download the regular file but only license access to the limited content-set, or a smaller rental-only file that will need to be replaced upon purchase? If the latter, will the system treat it as an upgrade subject to auto-replacement?

That's a great question Peter.....NO.😄

Jim

Being serious now, I don't know the actual answer, but I suspect not. K is likely already giving up its end of the rental by allowing a subsequent purchase discount, so it would make no financial sense. Where would it stop? If someone rented 3 times K could now be "out-of-pocket" on a subsequent purchase. That's the logic I see, but as my wife occasionally reminds me, I'm not always right.

Jim

I don’t see the rental option on the app or movie website. I tried to filter as well, am i missing something? Or is it to early on the 26th.

When the window elapses, does the title just become unlicensed, or does it self-destruct/delete (as FAQ14 suggests?)
Once the rental window expires, the content will become unlicensed and is deleted from your system.
Also related to FAQ6, if renting a fully-released title, will it download the regular file but only license access to the limited content-set, or a smaller rental-only file that will need to be replaced upon purchase? If the latter, will the system treat it as an upgrade subject to auto-replacement?
The same media object will download regardless of whether you purchase or rent a movie. If the extras are part of the same media object as the main movie, they will be inaccessible if the movie was only rented. However, if the extras are part of a supplement contained in separate file, that file is not queued for download when the movie is rented. Subsequent purchase of the movie would queue the extras for download in that case.

If you convert a rental to a purchase before the rental window expires, then it does not need to be redownloaded. However, if the rental window expires before you purchase the title then it is automatically deleted and you will have to redownload it.

Back