• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K Escape HDMI Issues

todo

When I received my M700 Vault and 3U server and hooked up to my Theta Casablanca receiver using HDMI my receiver would lock up requiring a reboot.
I called support K Escape and they told me to go to the M700 interface under advance audio settings and change audio settings for various codecs from default to specifying each codec. This is the center list in the interface.
This solved the locking problem but I now having a new issue.
Every time I hit pause/intermission and many times when I jump from one movie to another I find that my rear surround channels drop out. All other channels work just fine.
After rebooting the M700 the rear surrounds come back but soon drop out on the next pause or change of movie or scene.
The best work around I have found is to change the audio option (go from say DTS HD to DTS Stereo) in the iPad app of the Kescape and once I do the rear speakers kick in and work okay only to drop out next time the M700 is paused or movie changed.
Will appreciate any insight on solving this problem...

The best work around I have found is to change the audio option (go from say DTS HD to DTS Stereo) in the iPad app of the Kescape and once I do the rear speakers kick in and work okay only to drop out next time the M700 is paused or movie changed.
Will appreciate any insight on solving this problem...

Does this mean that you have the M700 set to "Player Decode"? If so, I would change to "Bitstream Pass-through" and see what it does.

It does sound like an HDMI hand shake issue however. Hopefully some on the forum has Theta and can comment.

John

John,
The Kescape is set to Bitsream Pass-Thrugh.
I am leaning towards trying the Geffen Detective P advised by Jerry.
Thanks.

I am working with K Escape support - they are awesome..
We are trying to eliminate the fact that I have multiple IP conflicts in my network.
I have also logged in the issue using 555 ...
If this does not resolve then the next step would be to go after the EDID issue.

I use a couple of the HDMI Geffen Toolbox 'switches' in my setup and they work flawlessly. What I have found is that if you switch on the Deep Colour setting with a long HDMI cable you can get problems in that the screen momentarily goes black on a regular and rhythmic basis implying a handshake timing issue. HDMI - still an evolving implementation!

IP Conflicts take a little bit of work to resolve but should not be too difficult to fix so download an ip scanner www.advanced-ip-scanner.com works well or if you have an iPad try Fing so as to see what addresses are in use and assigned to which device.

1. Some routers allow you to reserve ip address to to a network card (nic) so a device always gets the same address even if you always use dhcp for address allocation - remove the reservation option unless you really need it.
2. Use dhcp for the majority of addresses in your network but allocate a fixed address for your server, your router and potentially also your players but only if your control system needs fixed ip addresses to control the players (my control system is based upon Philips Prontos so I use fixed ip addresses for all my players).
3. When setting up dhcp on your router keep a small range for manual addresses so for example set the dhcp address range to 192.168.XXX.21 to 192.168.XXX.254 in this way you have a pool of 20 address (192.168.XXX.001 to 192.168.XXX.20)to allocate to devices you want to hard code and then leave the router to handle the rest.
4. DOCUMENT your system - boring I know but essential if you want to problem solve, want to add devices later or if you replace a component due to a failure as then referring to the documentation will make getting everything back working a much simpler task so as to get back to enjoying the films you have loaded.

Last edited:
I finally could solve the issue after trying the following:

1. Changed conflicting DHCP IP addresses of the three Apple TV's in my network to manual IP's. No help to my K Escape problem but I am sure it is good for my network.
2. Bought Gefen HDMI detective - Problem persisted.
3. Took K Escape tech support advice and installed a HDMI splitter from Vault to splitter to Theta Receiver - Problem persisted.

I nailed down the problem to the fact that when I randomly moved from one scene to another in various movies, the sound of the rear speakers would drop out (not always but mostly).

But also observed that if I moved from one scene of a movie to another scene of another movie and if the sound dropped, then within the scene if I changed the audio stream from the HD to non HD such as dolby digital - the rear speakers would kick in and then if I went back to the HD stream all was well.

So what was happening is that between two HD audio stream while the receiver was waiting for audio it defaulted to its non HD processing mode ( In in my Theta's case Prologic Movie). In the menu of the Theta you can apply post processing tot his audio stream and that option was set to OFF. I changed this to 'Party'...

And viola problem solved...

I will test next few days and will revert with any observations.

Thanks for every ones help and comments.

FANTASTIC! :) :) :) :) Is this the new CB? How do you like it? I've been following pre/pros since the mid 90s. I remember the first version. Its was always highly regarded but I've been too busy to really pay much attention lately.

Jerry,
I have the CB 3 HD which is HDMI and does everything for my purpose.
The CB IV just came out last month and has Dirac, HDMI 1.4 for 4K and better processing. Does it sound better is yet to be known. The jury is out how the implementation of Dirac on Theta is and since I prefer my calibrator (who is one of the best in business) - not sure what Dirac will do.
I will let the early adopters play with the CB 4 and jump in next year as currently I don't have 4K in my theater ...
I have the Theta Casablanca since 2000 - the longest I have kept any electronic equipment ever and it has been upgraded three times along the way.

Jerry,
I found out today when my calibrator was here that my problem is not solved :(
The method I used to post process through Theta Casablanca - just sends front left right channels to rear via post processing - a very bad way to watch a movie...
I plan to contact Theta and K Escape to help me resolve this problem.
Will keep you informed.

On further checking I am finding that the rear sound is lost only when switching to and from DTS HD streams - the sound is intact with other codecs such as TrueHD and LPCM and all analog streams.
The issue is only with K Escape?
I have a oppo Bly Ray player and that has no issues.
When the sound vanishes (and this is happening only with DTS HD streams) and I change source on Blanca the come back to K source ? the sound comes back in the rear. This is because when the source is changed the Theta during he change goes from DTS HD to analog for a second.
I can also get the sound back by using the K Escape iPad app and changing the audio stream.
So for example, enders game is DTS HD ? I play a scene in the K and lose rear sound. I click on the various audio streams on the K App in the iPad and select dolby digital and then DTS HD again and the sound returns?.
Weird?.

I would suggest that you check your Oppo to ale sure it is in bitstream mode and then try again. I had one problem that I thought was my K system but then when I checked my Oppo it was set to decode in the player. Once I changed to pass-through the problem showed up on it too. Eventually, the problem was traced to my pre/pro.

John

What a pain in the neck. Sorry to hear this. I've had a Meridian 861 as my pre/pro since 1998! But its been upgraded a few times so its not really the same physical piece of hardware.

You could ask the K player to decode internally to bit stream but then you lose the benefits of the high res audio and I can really hear the difference.

Internal HD audio decoding is something I hope K will address in their new players whenever they build new players......

Back