• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K-5000 power supply failure

JohnT

My K-5000 ( 10 years old ) decided to bite the dust after I added a 6TB drive. Although the power supplies are available from them they prefer not to sell them as they are also " old ". Apparently there are some people who have either had them repaired outside of K OR have built outboard power supplies that are more robust. K doesn't supply any technical info on that so whoever might have had this done has someone who really knows what they are doing. K suggests I buy a Strato S 12TB and sell the non working K-5000 and M-500 player on EBAy or... It would be grandfathered in for someone to trade it in on an 18TB unit or....take the chance of fixing. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks, John

My K-5000 ( 10 years old ) decided to bite the dust after I added a 6TB drive. Although the power supplies are available from them they prefer not to sell them as they are also " old ". Apparently there are some people who have either had them repaired outside of K OR have built outboard power supplies that are more robust. K doesn't supply any technical info on that so whoever might have had this done has someone who really knows what they are doing. K suggests I buy a Strato S 12TB and sell the non working K-5000 and M-500 player on EBAy or... It would be grandfathered in for someone to trade it in on an 18TB unit or....take the chance of fixing. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks, John
Ebay unit for sale,

Greetings, So I was able to remove the Power SUpply and 3 of the 4 cables. The 4th cable bundle goes thru a very small slit in the metal plate that is behind the drive section, underneath the 14 drive click holders. How do you remove this without taking everything apart, or is that the solution. According to Rusty at K Technical Support the PS is most likely the culprit of the drives not waking up- ALL the fans turn on. Would take a chance on the Sparkle PS on EBAY- above- IF I can get the old one out . Will probably get a Strato S anyways BUT......

Greetings, So I was able to remove the Power SUpply and 3 of the 4 cables. The 4th cable bundle goes thru a very small slit in the metal plate that is behind the drive section, underneath the 14 drive click holders. How do you remove this without taking everything apart, or is that the solution. According to Rusty at K Technical Support the PS is most likely the culprit of the drives not waking up- ALL the fans turn on. Would take a chance on the Sparkle PS on EBAY- above- IF I can get the old one out . Will probably get a Strato S anyways BUT......
There is no real easy way to do it otherwise.
I've done a bunch of these power supply replacements, I can walk you through it if you need some help.
Or if you'd like, you can send the Server and a power supply to me, I will change it out for you for free.

Chris

Last edited:
Maybe this will provide some guidance if you haven't already seen it.

Thanks Andy, I couldn't locate these instructions recently. Was fairly sure it existed, but couldn't find it!

Jim

There is no real easy way to do it otherwise.
I've done a bunch of these power supply replacements, I can walk you through it if you need some help.
Or if you'd like, you can send the Server and a power supply to me, I will change it out for you for free.

Chris
Thank you Chris. I will try the instructions, just need to get a thin or right angle screwdriver to remove the screws hold the offending plate in. IF not I will be in touch. Ordering a Strato S anyways with the CoStar to possibly allow the repaired 5000 to sync, adding more storage capacity though not 4K media on IT.

Thank you Chris. I will try the instructions, just need to get a thin or right angle screwdriver to remove the screws hold the offending plate in. IF not I will be in touch. Ordering a Strato S anyways with the CoStar to possibly allow the repaired 5000 to sync, adding more storage capacity though not 4K media on IT.
Those plungers for ejecting the Drives are easy to remove and you would only need to remove two of them to gain better access to the screws.

Thanks Chris, was able to remove the 2 plungers and the power supply. Waiting for Sparkle to let me know how to send back for testing and repair. Cheaper than buying one from Kaleidescape until I know the rest of the unit is OK. Sparkle did make a newer version of the one I have in it for K so that would be worthwhile in the long run if the unit works after this one is fixed. Hopefully!!

Thanks Chris, was able to remove the 2 plungers and the power supply. Waiting for Sparkle to let me know how to send back for testing and repair. Cheaper than buying one from Kaleidescape until I know the rest of the unit is OK. Sparkle did make a newer version of the one I have in it for K so that would be worthwhile in the long run if the unit works after this one is fixed. Hopefully!!
That's great news...
Good luck.

Back