• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Issue: Strato's Blurry Movie Covers

dFs

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Hi, recently I upgraded & paired my Premier system with a Strato via Co-Star.

I assume that the new 4K interface screen, the one with the movie covers would look better/more-detailed but they look worse.

I get that the resolution of the image hasn't changed, but still, the image and text on the movie covers are blurrier, like too much anti-aliasing was applied.

Has anyone else dealt with this?
Any solutions?

Thank you again for your time and help.

It's got to be somewhere in your system, the Strato OSD is clearly better than other players, it should have been very obvious on screen.

What display are you using?
Cables?
Any components in between the Co-Star HDMI Out and the display?

Recheck all video connections, maybe swap cables if able, and recheck video settings in the Strato.

Jim

I’m running a Strato/Alto/costar with a Lumagen Pro into a Sony 995 projector. Very often, the first time the Strato movie cover screen comes up, it looks a bit blurry but it then resyncs on its own a few seconds later and it is clear/normal. Only does this the first time (on initial power up) for some strange reason. Doesn’t always happen. This didn’t use to happen at all, but have updated several firmwares, so who knows...

@cinelife
Thanks for the info. I'll check different setups & Strato settings.

Display: Sony Z9D.
Cables: those provided by Kaleidescape.
Components between: Denon X3400H AVR.

@SJHT
Thanks for the info.

Anyway to force a "re-sync"?

In our family room area (our second zone of Strato/Alto) we have a Sony A9F and a Marantz 8805. No issues with this setup. You should make sure the Strato is in the default video options. You can also run the “show video capabilities and status” from the video component section of the Strato web interface. That may give you some info. Also, since the screen is 4K60, make sure you have the HDMI video options on your Sony and Denon are set to Enhanced HDMI.....

That setup should work without any issues. Check the settings referred to above by SJHT. (I have a couple of Z9D's, they work just fine with with the K gear.)

Jim

When you first pair an Encore and Premiere system, the Encore system will need to fetch/transform all the various cover art images for content on the Premiere system. Depending on the size of the library on your Premiere system, this process can take some time to complete (but we're talking hours here, not days). However, if this were the case, then you should be seeing behaviour similar to what SJHT describes. When the system has to display a cover art image and the 2160p version isn't available, it will display the 1080p version but in the background it will fetch the higher resolution image from our servers, integrate it into the library and then replace the displayed image with the new one (which is the sharpening effect that you see).

If you're still seeing blurry cover art images, odds are that there is some issue that is preventing the Strato from fetching or transforming the 2160p images. It could be a network issue (where the Strato can't reach the internet in order to fetch the higher resolution images from our head end servers) or some other internal problem.

I would recommend reaching out to our support team so that they can take a look at your system to see what is happening.

Thanks John, learned something here, never knew that was going on in the background!

Jim

Great! thanks for all the help.

I've also had some blankng issues, so was working on that as well. It likely was my Denon. As I'm now using Strato's 2 HDMI outputs, the main and audio only. The main going to the TV and the audio to the AVR.

That has helped with both issues, the blanking and low-res issue. So thank you for your help.

However, not all pictures were improved at first, but many seems to have Refreshed into higher quality cover art. So thanks again.

I have another problem:
I have about 800 non-catalogible DVD, for which I custom uploaded Cover Art for, which continue to be more pixelated than blurry.

I used the recommended size .jpg for the Premier system, 1080x756 resolution, under 250K.

Can I upload higher resolution ones for the Encore/Strato system?
If so, any ideas on the recommended file type, resolution, and file size?

Thank you again for your time and help.

I have another problem:
I have about 800 non-catalogible DVD, for which I custom uploaded Cover Art for, which continue to be more pixelated than blurry.

I used the recommended size .jpg for the Premier system, 1080x756 resolution, under 250K.

Can I upload higher resolution ones for the Encore/Strato system?
If so, any ideas on the recommended file type, resolution, and file size?

You can try uploading higher resolution cover art to the Premiere system however those images will be transformed into 1080p images. So the Strato would still only display the 1080p cover art image.

We don't currently support adding user-supplied 4K cover art images on the Strato for content that is on your paired Premiere system.

Yes, the issue fixed itself. It just needed more time for the images to update. Thanks again.

Back