• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Is Ultraviolet the new Managed Copy?

Horsley

Just read an article about Ultraviolet or UV and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this.

Let me quote from this article in the Sunday Times (a UK sunday newspaper)

"what is new is that UV discs come "bundled" with a licence to view the movie anywhere we want, any time on any device as often as we want, for ever. .........We will also be able to watch it by downloading it from the web and saving it, so we can enjoy it on our laptop, smartphone, tablet computer, or games console. .......We will also be able, legally, to make a single copy of the movie onto a disk. Six users can share a single UV account and there is a cap of 12 devices per account.

It sounds like 'managed copy' is dead and the new saviour of Hollywood is 'UV'.

Yup, there is a consortium of studios (DECE) (except Disney) that support this new method of selling licenses to allow for more use of content. My understanding is that UV is a "service/technology" that will allow licensee's more flexibility in using the content they buy/lease. It does require the user's components to be UV compatible/licensed as well. For now, it will not apply (read as work with) already released content, but there will likely be some method allowing for this going forward. There's a lot more to this, and it is developing slowly, but steadily. We'll see if it catches on.

Jim

Hmm, I wonder if the cost of Ultraviolet service per disc will be less than the cost of vaulting a disc? I suspect it will...

Hmm, I wonder if the cost of Ultraviolet service per disc will be less than the cost of vaulting a disc? I suspect it will...

Propbably true, but unknown at this point.

More importantly, at least for me, the K "experience" is untouchable. I do not measure the cost of ownership versus other companies/products without that experience being part of the equation, and that always tips the scale to K, IMO.:)

Jim

Not about the K experience. Just that if they were approved, then we could pay the UV fee instead of vaulting the disc and it might be cheaper to pay those fees on a per disc basis than put them in the vault and just use the MDV and/or IDV for storage of titles from studios that do not participate in the UV program.

Ahh.....got it.:)

Jim

At least the industry is recognising that consumers want to use the product they have purchased on various devices within the same family unit.

It will be interesting to see if UV provides an additional or alternative solution that will enable K to comply with BluRay copy control requirements.

However, I don't want to be in a position that requires an internet connection to authorise me to view already imported content. As always the devil will be in the detail.

Yeah, nothing like "internet connection not available. You cannot watch this disc" messages to ruin an evening. Remember the WM9 version of T2?

I remember being told about it... I was living in Asia at time. I was yet to experience any authorisation or zone issues with any type of DVD. Everything used to play on anything.

Attempting to purchase legitimate movies was a challenge though !!

What, you mean the DVDs they sell out in the open market for $1.00 with a photo copied cover aren't legitimate? Wow, next you are going to tell the they put lead in the paint on their toys over there.

It was not cheap DVD copies available from street vendors that was the problem. It was high quality counterfeits sold from legitimate stores which had entered the distribution networks at a very high level.

Back