• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Is this normal? Noisy Terra Compact 18 TB

Weirdness continues:
BTW I am still waiting for my replacement unit. This happened last night to the original unit.

As I was watching a movie, the picture froze...and eventually gave me a message that said it had difficulty reading the disk. The remote would not do anything either.
I could not turn off the player even.
Then after 2-3 minutes, the message displayed that there was a network issue or could not connect to the server.
As previously mentioned, my server had been working with loud fan noise.
I then went to the server and checked it out.
The server light was on but it was super quiet! Weird.
I powered off the server for 2 minutes.
Then turned it back on.
I returned to the player and the movie resumed normally.

I'm not sure why the server went quiet and the player could not connect to the server until i restarted it.
Does anybody experience similar symptoms? Is this common? to have it not connect to the server?

Thanks
We had something very similar on one occasion although I don't remember the exact wording but it stopped during playback saying it was having problems. The two devices are both plugged into the same high speed switch and so I am comfortable ruling out local network issues. I had to reboot the K to get things corrected. After that we simply watched the movie without any issue and haven't had anything else since. I am fairly certain that this occurred on the original server and will try to check back through my emails to see if that was correct.

Re the fan noise - we have noticed any drop in the fan speed drop other than directly after a reboot as per earlier posts. Then once that loud fan has kicked in, it never leaves. :( Hopefully I will hear more the way forward next week.

We had something very similar on one occasion although I don't remember the exact wording but it stopped during playback saying it was having problems. The two devices are both plugged into the same high speed switch and so I am comfortable ruling out local network issues. I had to reboot the K to get things corrected. After that we simply watched the movie without any issue and haven't had anything else since. I am fairly certain that this occurred on the original server and will try to check back through my emails to see if that was correct.

Re the fan noise - we have noticed any drop in the fan speed drop other than directly after a reboot as per earlier posts. Then once that loud fan has kicked in, it never leaves. :( Hopefully I will hear more the way forward next week.
I hooked up our 18 TB server last week. Enjoying our K system so far except for this. It sounds like a fan that's on all the time.
Is this normal? Is it louder than yours?
Thanks
Any news on this issue? I’m new to K, installed on 9/17 my 6TB compact terra fan is noisy too.

I hooked up our 18 TB server last week. Enjoying our K system so far except for this. It sounds like a fan that's on all the time.
Is this normal? Is it louder than yours?

I recently had a 6tb go out and I ended up upgrading to a 18tb as my replacement. Mine is fan on loud all the time and my old 6tb wasn't like this. Now it's in the closet and doesn't bother me as far as the noise goes, but it does worry me that it seems to be on all the time. No idea if this is normal or not.

I recently had a 6tb go out and I ended up upgrading to a 18tb as my replacement. Mine is fan on loud all the time and my old 6tb wasn't like this. Now it's in the closet and doesn't bother me as far as the noise goes, but it does worry me that it seems to be on all the time. No idea if this is normal or not.

It should not be that loud. Contact your dealer and provide the full serial number to get Support involved.

Jim

I have the same/similar issue with my 18tb. It's currently on a ticket and today I was asked to send a video of a power restart. I have monitored a restart 5 or more times now and it powers up and immediately goes to full fan for a second or so and then to normal. This is followed by a lot of disk activity and I am assuming that this is a combo of disk integrity checks and server software startup etc. Then after a varying length of time at a quiet, normal level fan noise it moves to the noisy high speed fan and then simply never stops unless you pull the plug. That varying length has been anything from say 3 mins to just over 16 but the result is effectively the same - just constantly on full speed fan. It seems regardless of temperature. I have a 12tb in the same rack which shows a higher temperature on the settings page and yet it has a nicely quiet and unobtrusive normal level fan.

I don't know enough about the internal workings to know what's wrong but I know it's not right and the same issue is cropping up with several 18tb servers on here already. Would have to think this would be easy for them to identify.

K is obviously aware that some Terra 18's are noisier than is considered normal, and they're working to find the source of the problem. The more data they collect from owners the easier it will be to identify and correct the problem. The systems still function, it's a noise issue, and they're working on it.

Jim

K is obviously aware that some Terra 18's are noisier than is considered normal, and they're working to find the source of the problem. The more data they collect from owners the easier it will be to identify and correct the problem. The systems still function, it's a noise issue, and they're working on it.

Jim
Jim,

Thank you for the reassurance. I would add that for owners it’s as much of a concern that a device running its fan unexpectedly at higher levels runs the risk of a shortened ‘operational life’. If that fan fails sooner and it is indeed the disks that are demanding a cooler environment then any overheating at that point could prove very expensive. Lots of ‘ifs’ but it’s a problem I would like to avoid/rule out and so will feel happier when they signal that this is understood and they have a solution.

Out of interest, are there any 18Tb server owners out there that don’t have this constant higher speed fan on? I am guessing many have them in racks and dependent on their other kit may not notice. Anyone using it in a typical AV setting would surely notice it immediately I would think.

Look forward to some positive news on this as they build a clearer picture.

Jim,

Thank you for the reassurance. I would add that for owners it’s as much of a concern that a device running its fan unexpectedly at higher levels runs the risk of a shortened ‘operational life’. If that fan fails sooner and it is indeed the disks that are demanding a cooler environment then any overheating at that point could prove very expensive. Lots of ‘ifs’ but it’s a problem I would like to avoid/rule out and so will feel happier when they signal that this is understood and they have a solution.

Out of interest, are there any 18Tb server owners out there that don’t have this constant higher speed fan on? I am guessing many have them in racks and dependent on their other kit may not notice. Anyone using it in a typical AV setting would surely notice it immediately I would think.

Look forward to some positive news on this as they build a clearer picture.

Understand your concern, we all know the importance of proper cooling. Frankly, I'm less concerned about a constantly running fan than a fan the works intermittently, but I do understand the concern that the fan's lifespan is probably impacted by running on high 24/7.

Regarding the numbers of 18TB's affected, I don't have that number, but yes, there are 18TB's that don't have the problem reported by some owners. For my clients, it's about 20% of my 18TB clients that have mentioned the noise. That doesn't mean it's not a problem for other 18TB's, only that I have not had any noise complaints from most owners (but there can be many reasons for that, i.e. the Terra 18TB might have been placed in a noisy room, etc.) This is why K engineering is involved, and took back a few units to inspect and hopefully find the problem. It might be a hardware issue, but could also be a software issue, and obviously that determines the fix. I suspect we'll know something in the coming days, I know they're working on it.

Jim

Understand your concern, we all know the importance of proper cooling. Frankly, I'm less concerned about a constantly running fan than a fan the works intermittently, but I do understand the concern that the fan's lifespan is probably impacted by running on high 24/7.

Regarding the numbers of 18TB's affected, I don't have that number, but yes, there are 18TB's that don't have the problem reported by some owners. For my clients, it's about 20% of my 18TB clients that have mentioned the noise. That doesn't mean it's not a problem for other 18TB's, only that I have not had any noise complaints from most owners (but there can be many reasons for that, i.e. the Terra 18TB might have been placed in a noisy room, etc.) This is why K engineering is involved, and took back a few units to inspect and hopefully find the problem. It might be a hardware issue, but could also be a software issue, and obviously that determines the fix. I suspect we'll know something in the coming days, I know they're working on it.

Jim
Thanks Jim, as ever very helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks for your help Jim. I was able to hook up the replacement unit.
I’m so happy to report that this unit is super quiet.

Here’s before and after comparison

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the exact same issue with my new 18tb as described by @Oldred and @Teriyaki88 with the fan constantly running and very noisy.

My dealer arranged for it to be sent back to the UK Distributor and after testing they confirmed it was normal behaviour BUT it still runs constantly and noisy. Reported it again last week and waiting for Kaleidescape to comment on my video of it.

Its a shame because as a brand new owner, I love the product but it cannot sit in the cinema room I bought it for as it's louder than my JVC on high lamp! Fingers crossed they agree that it is not right.

I have the exact same issue with my new 18tb as described by @Oldred and @Teriyaki88 with the fan constantly running and very noisy.

My dealer arranged for it to be sent back to the UK Distributor and after testing they confirmed it was normal behaviour BUT it still runs constantly and noisy. Reported it again last week and waiting for Kaleidescape to comment on my video of it.

Its a shame because as a brand new owner, I love the product but it cannot sit in the cinema room I bought it for as it's louder than my JVC on high lamp! Fingers crossed they agree that it is not right.
Surely not. What AV product is designed to make a noise as loud as that?

I wonder how they explain the replacement server received above being quieter? Or at least not on all the time even when dormant.

I find the request for videos understandable as a first step but flaky because they sound completely different dependent on what you play them back on and at what volume setting. Amazed they have had the box back and think that it’s ‘normal’.

Have to hope Kaleidescape centrally will resolve this because it surely undermines their new product launches. I.e. don’t bother buying the larger disk boxes because they are too noisy (by design?) I don’t think that is the case. There are plenty of ‘silent fan solutions out there. So this is surely just a frustrating blip.

Surely not. What AV product is designed to make a noise as loud as that?

I wonder how they explain the replacement server received above being quieter? Or at least not on all the time even when dormant.

I find the request for videos understandable as a first step but flaky because they sound completely different dependent on what you play them back on and at what volume setting. Amazed they have had the box back and think that it’s ‘normal’.

Have to hope Kaleidescape centrally will resolve this because it surely undermines their new product launches. I.e. don’t bother buying the larger disk boxes because they are too noisy (by design?) I don’t think that is the case. There are plenty of ‘silent fan solutions out there. So this is surely just a frustrating blip.
OK maybe not quite as loud as that but when you are sitting with it just a few feet behind you, it's not far off and very annoying in quiet film/music parts.

I agree it should be a blip but at this kind of money I would hope it's a priority for them. I'm still within my return period but if this is normal for their 18tb line, I don't think it's the product for me given it's a premium priced product.

K distributors are amazing folks and experts in the industry, but you have to remember that they don’t work for K and often only learn the full details of something after it is fully understood by the manufacturer. I bet their thinking that the noise is “normal” is based on limited testing on a bench and after working with K, they’ll realize it is not. It’s understandable to be frustrated but know that the folks at K are honest people and will do what it takes to make things right. That has always been my experience and I know I’m not alone.

Andy

K distributors are amazing folks and experts in the industry, but you have to remember that they don’t work for K and often only learn the full details of something after it is fully understood by the manufacturer. I bet their thinking that the noise is “normal” is based on limited testing on a bench and after working with K, they’ll realize it is not. It’s understandable to be frustrated but know that the folks at K are honest people and will do what it takes to make things right. That has always been my experience and I know I’m not alone.

Andy

Certainly what I am relying on. Just patiently waiting right now for feedback from those same UK distributors to my installer. The email that I sent detailed the K investigation and similar experiences on here and that was forwarded onto them because it included the details, images and video. As they are the national distributors I would have thought that they should have a close link to the US help desk but I know how easy it can be for early communications on a fault to lead to confusion.

Rather than start another thread, one thing that has surprised me is that there is no way (that I can find) of gracefully closing down the server prior to turning off the power. So my only option is to flick the power off. There is a restart option but no shutdown and I was specifically directed to power it down rather than restart. I know disk technology moves on but all my NAS servers have that to avoid closing down mid write etc and just to avoid risk of damage/corruption. Is there something I am missing?

Here's my official reply from Kaleidescape regarding my noisy 18TB

"The Terra servers now use a different and more powerful fan, this was changed because we can no longer get the original fans, this keeps the player running cooler as well as extending the expected life.

If we replace the Terra server, the replacement server will have the same new fan as this one and will not result in a quieter system."

In fairness it now no longers runs all the time but its still noisy for my room and fires up when not in use or knowingly under any load. So it look likes I may be moving it into another room.

Just to add, I got roughly the same message back although I have yet to hear it ever slow down to a quieter speed. I still find this a strange product decision for an AV product and can only assume disk server backgrounds influenced it. Most of all, I suspect it wasn’t a conscious decision at all because surely there would have been some pre-advice to dealers who clearly weren’t aware of the noise levels. Regardless, it seems it’s not going to change and fortunately it’s a manageable issue.

What it does raise for me is a secondary question. We tend to use the Cinema room at the weekends. Partly due to habit from when we were working and also to retain the ‘different feeling’ of watching a movie and weekdays are for ‘series etc’. As a result the Kaleidescape is rarely used between weekends and that noise is ok in the room but less so the corridor.

So my questions are:
  1. what impacts are there if I power down the server say between Monday to Friday?
    1. i.e. is this likely to be detrimental to the hardware/disks in that they will be powered on and off far more than expected
    2. - what impacts/risks are there with this.
  2. I have asked this before but didn't see an answer - is the only way to shut down/turn off the server - pulling out the plug!/switching off the power at the socket?
    1. I can't find a power switch and I haven't yet found a command that will gracefully close down the server/disks prior to me doing so, to avoid risk of corruption and therefore I assume every time I do this I am creating a risk
  3. Back to the original topic - can someone confirm the official temperature that should kick the fan in at full speed on the 18TB server please so that I can check that at least that bit is working to specification. thanks.
I have other AV server products that are both silent and have graceful closure prior to power down and so again have been surprised that this isn't handled (or if it is I can't see it).

Thanks in advance.

Back