• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Is this normal? Noisy Terra Compact 18 TB

Teriyaki88

I hooked up our 18 TB server last week. Enjoying our K system so far except for this. It sounds like a fan that's on all the time.
Is this normal? Is it louder than yours?
Thanks

With recordings it’s difficult to tell but I would guess they are similar. Ours is on 24 hours too. I struggle to believe that it’s this loud by design. We are lucky that we haven’t noticed it yet in the cinema room but the other side of the rack cupboard is a corridor and you can hear it yards away through a solid wooden door.

Did you get someone to examine yours?

Our other terra server (12 tb ) is practically silent.

I’m not sure how I can compare to others. It seems weird that it’s on, that loud, 24/7
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps the technician who assembled this unit forgot to put the vibration/noise dampening rubber mounting pieces on the cooling fans or the ball bearings on the cooling fan is shot. The same goes for the HDD.

Try downloading a movie from the store to see if the noise is louded. The HDD drive will leave the idle stage and spin faster. If you hear more mechanical noise then the HDD is coupled to the chassis without any vibration dampening.

Perhaps the technician who assembled this unit forgot to put the vibration/noise dampening rubber mounting pieces on the cooling fans or the ball bearings on the cooling fan is shot. The same goes for the HDD.

Try downloading a movie from the store to see if the noise is louded. The HDD drive will leave the idle stage and spin faster. If you hear more mechanical noise then the HDD is coupled to the chassis without any vibration dampening.
LOL - ironically I am currently unable to download anything to the server at all. not too obvious why because network configs have been checked and seem correct, one server can see the other, K can see the server remotely but can't access all the normal data, just some of it and the downloads are queued up but never gets past 'starting download'. But I will check that as soon as we crack this issue. thx

I've reached out to both Oldred and Teriyaki88 directly, but in case anybody else has this issue and comes across this thread -- we've had a few other reports of what seems like excessive fan noise from the Terra 18. If you have this issue, please have your dealer/installer open a support case with us so that we can track which units have the problem and ensure that we address it for you. We are in the process of getting some of these back to us so we can figure out what's going on -- i.e., is it a hardware issue like a bad batch of fans or temperature sensors, or a software/firmware issue like some sort of problem with the fan speed control.

I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience. We will get to the bottom of it and make sure the issue is resolved.

Thank you Mike

I appreciate you reaching out to me and others who may have the similar issue.

I reached out to my dealer and passed along the info about opening a ticket with K.

Thank you!

Steve

I am experiencing the same issue with a 6TB Compact Terra that was a warranty replacement unit for my original unit that failed. The original was silent when not in use, but the fan on this new unit seems to say on all the time. A support ticket has been submitted. Hopefully this is a software issue.

Thank you Mike

I appreciate you reaching out to me and others who may have the similar issue.

I reached out to my dealer and passed along the info about opening a ticket with K.

Thank you!

Steve

Ditto on all of the above. :)

The noise issue being experienced by a few owners should be addressed this week. I had a meeting with Kaleidescape on Friday and can assure anyone that is having a problem that K is not ignoring the issues being discussed in a couple of threads. The numbers are relatively small, but a resolution for each owner is important to K and is not being ignored. As Mike mentioned, your dealer is the best source for resolving your individual issue.

Jim

The noise issue being experienced by a few owners should be addressed this week. I had a meeting with Kaleidescape on Friday and can assure anyone that is having a problem that K is not ignoring the issues being discussed in a couple of threads. The numbers are relatively small, but a resolution for each owner is important to K and is not being ignored. As Mike mentioned, your dealer is the best source for resolving your individual issue.

Jim

I’m not sure how accurate these things are but here’s the noise level coming from the server.

I did try to make a recording of ours too but if I am honest I don't really think it reflected the sound well and not being too au fait with recording any sort of video/audio on this phone I haven't wasted a lot of time on it. To my ear, your recording sounds quieter than ours but I doubt that means anything. When my son is next over I will get him to record it with his audio gear.

I also downloaded a well rated, android sound meter app which seemed to record a level of just over 60 when right up close without touching it and over 50 about a foot away but huge caveat on how accurate that might because I downloaded it and used it just the once.

I think I described it before but with ours you can hear it from 3-5 yards away down the corridor (tiled) with the solid wooden door closed on it (because that's how I first noticed it). When you open it the sounds from the new 18Tb K dwarfs all of the amps etc. which includes the existing 12Tb K - you can no longer pick out the sound of the other kit.

It never stops either - that may be correct, I don't know. Perhaps the fan simply spins 24 hours but I have never noticed the sound of the other one at all.

I don't know if the sound I am hearing is a disk or a fan but my guess would be that it is the fan. I would ahve expected a disk sounding as noisy as that would have had the K 'calling home' with a fault by now :)

Does anyone have an update on this issue? I have confirmed that on my unit the noise is from the fan constantly running. I do have an open service ticket.

Each case is being individually evaluated by K's engineers, because might be different causes. In the OP's case his Terra is being replaced. (I'm his Dealer.)

Jim

I have just received a case number from our installer who is liasing with their supplier (all In the UK). I have forwarded this to Mike K hoping that would help link it together with the others because I know this isn’t always the easiest thing for help desks etc.

I have just been asked to check the fan’s faster startup speed compared to what it settles too and how long that takes. Not done it yet but as we have only ever noticed one speed, I am wondering quite how it could be any faster but therein perhaps lay the problem. We shall see.

Taken a while to get to this point but at least it’s started and officially logged.

I have just received a case number from our installer who is liasing with their supplier (all In the UK). I have forwarded this to Mike K hoping that would help link it together with the others because I know this isn’t always the easiest thing for help desks etc.

I have just been asked to check the fan’s faster startup speed compared to what it settles too and how long that takes. Not done it yet but as we have only ever noticed one speed, I am wondering quite how it could be any faster but therein perhaps lay the problem. We shall see.

Taken a while to get to this point but at least it’s started and officially logged.

I’m waiting to get my 18 TB replacement unit. Hoping for best!

I thought I would share this on here.

The simple test I was asked to repeat was to power down the 18tb terra server and leave it off for a short while. I left it for around 25 mins while I was doing something else. Then turn it back on and listen to see what happened.

As soon as I powered it back on the fan was clearly on for a very short burst of time (which is normal) and then settled to what I would call a normal 'quiet level'. Then I could hear the disks kicking in with a klunky sort of start but then again the noises went back to normal disk read as I assume the disks were checking for integrity etc and the server software established its full set of services and connections. All as per expectations and if everything stayed like that I wouldn't be posting.

- The first time I monitored it like this I moved away after 6 or 7 mins because I thought that was it. But around 14-15 mins later I walked past and it was at full speed and noisy again and since then I haven't ever noticed not be at full speed/noisy.
- I repeated this again today and it was past 16 mins and it was still quiet. You can guess, but I moved away needing to run a quick errand by the time I returned it was back to it's noisy state. Doh!

The reported temperature (from the settings page) before I turned off the power was 32c and it was noisy.
The temperature now is 37c (and it's noisy).
The temperature on our other 12Tb terra server is showing as 40c and its nice and quiet.
While I am at it the player sits at 50c despite not being asked to do anything at this point but I assume that's OK as that shows in the middle of the 'green section'.

Bearing in mind the temperature on all boxes is comfortably in the green I am not sure that the fans should ever be in their full on state (I have never noticed it on the 12Tb).

SO DOES ANYONE have any idea at what temperature the rapid fan is supposed to kick in on and maybe more critically, when should it turn off. I can only assume right now that something is wrong with the sensor that is leading to the fan being at full speed all of the time. A ticket has been raised and I am sure all of this will become clear but I just wondered what people know on here.
- thanks

I also did what K asked for my 18 TB server.

1: unplugged the server for 2 mins
2: re plugged in
3: it turned on with usual loud fan noise for about 30 seconds then it went quiet. Then about 2 mins later, the noise level increase back to loud levels.

I’m waiting for my tracking info for the replacement.
Stay tuned
Thanks!

Steve

I also did what K asked for my 18 TB server.

1: unplugged the server for 2 mins
2: re plugged in
3: it turned on with usual loud fan noise for about 30 seconds then it went quiet. Then about 2 mins later, the noise level increase back to loud levels.

I’m waiting for my tracking info for the replacement.
Stay tuned
Thanks!

Steve

In the two instances for me the exact timing before the loud fan noise kicks in varied but once it had started then that was it, it simply didn't stop as far as I can tell until I powered down the server. So it sounds like the same thing to me. But I guess we will see.

Weirdness continues:
BTW I am still waiting for my replacement unit. This happened last night to the original unit.

As I was watching a movie, the picture froze...and eventually gave me a message that said it had difficulty reading the disk. The remote would not do anything either.
I could not turn off the player even.
Then after 2-3 minutes, the message displayed that there was a network issue or could not connect to the server.
As previously mentioned, my server had been working with loud fan noise.
I then went to the server and checked it out.
The server light was on but it was super quiet! Weird.
I powered off the server for 2 minutes.
Then turned it back on.
I returned to the player and the movie resumed normally.

I'm not sure why the server went quiet and the player could not connect to the server until i restarted it.
Does anybody experience similar symptoms? Is this common? to have it not connect to the server?

Thanks

Back